April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (earlyriser, obsessed-with-doubles, Argo44), 833 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,440
Posts544,755
Members14,404
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#619199 09/10/22 05:12 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today son-in-law and I went to the gun show in Grand Rapids== found a few fairly good prices on the 12 ga. target loads I use for barn pigeons, crows, etc. One older Parker 10 bore with the first series locking design- fair condition, heavier than a loaded M-1 Garand. Saw a few arsenal rebuilt Garands, nothing I needed. But I looked at a 12 double described on the tag as an "A. H. Fox 12- A grade- Had 30" barrels, unmarked (No Krupp Flustahl or Chromox stampings, replacement beavertail forearm with a copy of the Parker latch release inset, 2 triggers, auto safety- but when i removed the forearm, after asking permission, and removed the barrels- (1) No stamping or markings anywhere on the barrel flats- No grade marking in an Alpha mark on the water table at all, just a serial number- 5 digits 1 9 xxx. Asking $1150. I think it is NOT an original A grade non-ejector two triggered gun, receiver seems to be sculpted like the few Fox guns I have seen and handled- any input from the cognoscenti??RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

RWTF,

Did you get any pictures you could show us?

Below are some pictures of my unmarked 12 gauge Fox that might look similar to the one you saw.

No markings at all on the sides of the receiver/frame, top of the barrels, barrel flats, water table or fore end iron and no serial number on the trigger guard.

It does have the typical markings of Krupp barrels on the bottom of the barrels just forward of the flats. It has 28 inch Mod and Full barrels.

Trigger guard is engraved with initials: "F?C" who I think might be Fred ? Coleman. He was a fairly well know live pigeon and trap shooter back in the 1910's.

A Fred Coleman is listed in the 1908 Philadelphia Directory as a gun maker and lived just a few blocks from the Fox factory. Fred Coleman is mentioned in Mike McIntosh's book on Fox shotguns.

It looks like a Fox early B12 but it has a couple added features: the rib that goes from the bottom of the barrels up to the top like a BH Parker, the unique checkered side panels that look somewhat like a trap or live bird field and the fancier checkered stock and fore end.

No SN or markings under the trigger guard, fore end iron or on the inside. I had a top notch side by side gun mechanic fix the SAFEty slide and look for markings. None.

The non auto SAFEty slide that when I got the gun, was very difficult to slide back to the SAFE position. Much better now.

Any thoughts from anyone?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Boy howdy-- I had my new picture taking jitterbuggy phone thingy in my pocket, never thought to get fotos of this Fox gun, or the hefty 10 bore Parker Lifter action either. This particular dealer seems to always have a few "beat up" marque named side by sides, at waaaay high pricing for their grade and condition. Just wondered how an older Fox gun would NOT have any markings on the water table. Thanks RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lots of information about your man Fred in our discussion here
http://forum.foxcollectors.com/viewtopic.php?t=10621
and
https://www.trapshooters.com/threads/fred-coleman.829581/

He changed from a Parker to a Fox in 1907, but no details regarding the gun
https://digital.la84.org/digital/collection/p17103coll17/id/33950/rec/32

It was reported that his guns were lost to a fire??

2 members like this: Jolly Bill, Run With The Fox

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.