April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Salopian), 211 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,976
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm restoring a British Hammer gun (from about 1900) and am not clear on fitting the new hammers to the gun. One of the old ones was fitted pretty well, the other was a terrible replacement so I might be able to use the good one as a pattern (for lack of a better term) for the new ones. I understand the need to get the throw and timing correct but beyond that it's something of a mystery. Any help would be most appreciated. thanks, Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gil,

I have 4 pairs of English hammers. 2 pairs are plain. One pair has some engraving. The last pair is attached to a very pretty G.E. Lewis set of back action locks. I'd hate to orphan the hammers from the locks, but, they need a gun to go with. The parts came from the UK from unserviceable guns that were destroyed. None of them are early "shrouded" hammers.

Can you post a photo of your good hammer?

Joe in Charlotte

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found donor hammers off eBay. Best is to get a set of take off pairs. You can find new ones which have no hole for
The tumbler axle bored and require a lot of fitting. As you may know they have a square taper hole not a straight hole. At least the ones I have fit. There was a square tapered anvil that was used to finish the square taper. And I’ve only heard about them and do not have one to loan. I have thought about buying hammers and locks from Holts but know I’d mostly collect more junk and never use them. Good luck in you quest. Do you know what sizes you need? I have about 30 to look over to see if there is a decent match.

Sidelock
Sidelock

then you have the heat treatment issue...hammers need to be anealled for bending and filing, aka fitting...and then there is hardening and drawing...all can be accomplished with a torch, distilled water and used motor oil...or if after fitting send erm off fur heat treating...or call dixon's gun shop in kempton, pa...they can do the whole job...perhaps including a pair of appropriate hammers...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Blackley & Son https://www.blackleyandson.com/ <mail@blackleyandson.com> in the UK have a large selection of hammers. You might send them a photo of your good one and see if they have something similar.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.