April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hoot4570, SKB, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 412 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,803
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

The crossed lightning bolts proof mark tells us this gun was proofed, in St. Etienne in a finished state. Many are the Darne guns that I have measured barrel walls on that are at .050 MW at the critical 9” from the breech location. The heavy wall barrels were considered the best guns to shoot and use by the guys at the shop when I was there.

I have always wondered if the heavy wall thickness was insurance on a gun proofed at completion against the always heavy French proof?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two Darnes, both early guns. The first is an R11 (one grade stamp, done as an asterisk and not the later circle) 10 gauge with 2-7/8 inch chambers and a serial number in the 6500 range. The second is a P19 12 gauge with 6.5 cm chambers in the 13000 serial number range. Both are extremely nice guns. The 10 gauge weighs a mere 7 pounds 3 ounces and gets a diet of RST and reloaded 1-1/8 ounce shells. The 12 weighs right at 6 pounds 12 ounces.

They either have been refinished or were extraordinarily well cared for, as both are in excellent condition.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
If any more pictures are needed please let me know. Again, thanks to all for the excellent information and feedback.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That is the latest incarnation of the Darne V gun, lever held in place by a powerful spring up the lever. Very good design, but, a bad, bad thing when the spring breaks. That is the bad news. The very good news is that in forty years of playing this game, I’ve never seen a broken Darne V lever spring. It happens infrequently enough that the guys in France didn’t give me a spare for my Darne dealer parts collection. The only spare V parts I got were trigger return springs, and I have every one I watched Paul Bruchet bend up for me when I was there.

Use that gun in good health. I was out today, using a straight stocked V19 20 gauge with a swamped rib. Too warm, too many bugs, but the worst thing was my dog handled three woodcock spectacularly, and the area I was hunting was closed to hunting migratory birds.

All we could do was watch them fly away.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Anyway, your Darne is a short chamber 12 (or, was a short chamber gun, might not be, now) that was subjected to French triple proof and marked with the new style marking for that level of proof. That mark came into use with the new proof laws, circa 1923. The old mark for triple proof had been four crossed sheaths of wheat. But, other marks are on the gun that disappeared from use around the same time the laws changed.

Again, I’m pretty close on the date. I’m mostly sure the last patent V gun was being produced and sold well before that patent was issued in 1928.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Actually WAS a short chamber 16, Mr. Merrington just lengthened and opened the chokes for me. Much more usable for me now and in the future. I can't fathom the use of extra full chokes on an upland gun. Thank you for the info.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by prairie ghost
Actually WAS a short chamber 16, Mr. Merrington just lengthened and opened the chokes for me. Much more usable for me now and in the future. I can't fathom the use of extra full chokes on an upland gun. Thank you for the info.

At the time it was made, plastic shotcups weren't the rule nor were they available. Fiber wads shoot more open. However, it still probably shot tighter than Dick's hatband, but not nearly as much as with plastic shotcups. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tight bores for a 12, too. I’m not a 40 yard shooter, either. I’m sure it will work better for you, now.

Good luck hunting with your old Darne.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by prairie ghost
If any more pictures are needed please let me know. Again, thanks to all for the excellent information and feedback.

Salut,

Dernière mouture brevetée en 1928.
Ce système de déverrouillage apparait pour la première fois sur le catalogue Darne de 1928.
Il serait étonnant que ton fusil ait été fabriqué avant cette date. La période 1928 / 1940 est certainement plus plausible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Remington40x
I have two Darnes, both early guns. The first is an R11 (one grade stamp, done as an asterisk and not the later circle) 10 gauge with 2-7/8 inch chambers and a serial number in the 6500 range. The second is a P19 12 gauge with 6.5 cm chambers in the 13000 serial number range. Both are extremely nice guns. The 10 gauge weighs a mere 7 pounds 3 ounces and gets a diet of RST and reloaded 1-1/8 ounce shells. The 12 weighs right at 6 pounds 12 ounces.

They either have been refinished or were extraordinarily well cared for, as both are in excellent condition.

Salut,

Ces deux armes sont intéressantes pour leur ancienneté.
Le R11 doit dater de la période 1902 / 1907.
Le V19 est un peu plus plus récent, vers 1910. A confirmer par des photos.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Merci FAB - Translation:

Dernière mouture brevetée en 1928.
Ce système de déverrouillage apparait pour la première fois sur le catalogue Darne de 1928.
Il serait étonnant que ton fusil ait été fabriqué avant cette date. La période 1928 / 1940 est certainement plus plausible.

The last "mouture"* was patented in 1928.
This unlocking system appears for the first time in the Darne 1928 catalog.
It would be astonishing if your gun were made before that date. The period 1928-1940 is certainly more plausible.

*I don't know this French gun term "mouture" - it must be related to that action unlocking system. It will be added to the dictionary once I figure it out. Ted what might this refer to?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ces deux armes sont intéressantes pour leur ancienneté.
Le R11 doit dater de la période 1902 / 1907.
Le V19 est un peu plus plus récent, vers 1910. A confirmer par des photos.

These two guns are interesting because of their age
The R11 must date to the period 1902-1907
The V19 is a little more recent, around 1910. To be confirmed by some photos.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/03/22 08:11 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.