March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jtplumb, CJF, ChiefAmungum, Lloyd3, battle, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,981
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It can't be that easy.

I have a 20ga 26" barrel BSS. I have been looking for a 28" barrel to use with my gun and I ended up finding a complete, less frame parts kit. Almost new - what a shame.

Anyway I put the new 28" barrel on my old frame and it locks up like a vault. No light at the breach faces not even the slightest wiggle.

It can't be that easy.

Is there something that I need to be checking on with the bites, lugs etc?

I do not want to assume it is actually perfect although it looks perfect.

Many thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes. Smoke the barrel hook and the barrel breech faces and carefully put the barrels back on the gun. Remove and check for amount of contact at hook, and on barrel breech faces. There should be a high percentage of surface contact at both places, for longevity in use. If not, the gun will come off face with much less use. 100% contact is virtually impossible but, the more the better. There should also be daylight visible between the barrel flats and the action flats, increasing in distance from the hinge pin towards the action breech. Remember, inspection for light at the barrel breeches should be done with the forend in place. What is the position of the top lever when these barrels are on the gun and the forend is in place?

Occasionally, on more modern guns, barrel swaps will work fine with hardly any fitting. Valmet is an example of a gun make that will often accept another set of barrels almost perfectly. Maybe the BSS is another. I've never tried another set on the two BSSs I've had.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Silvers
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes keep yer fingers crossed.

The lever is to right of center but not unusually so.

I am going to be tied up with Hurricane Ian stuff for a while so it may be a few weeks to actually look further.

Many thanks

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Stan pretty much covered it. An additional and important check since the 28" barrel is from a parts kit, is for headspace using a headspace gauge. Too tight is easily/carefully corrected with a piloted shell rim cutter. And although unlikely, excess headspace can also be corrected with the rim cutter by cutting a deep counterbore and soldering in a steel insert, then recutting - but that's all pretty involved for the average gent. Brownells has (or had) 20g rim cutters and inserts. frank

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.