April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (graybeardtmm3, Argo44, Ian Forrester, 2 invisible), 530 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,082
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Picked up an old Reilly as it was going cheap at auction so thought I'd take a punt.
It's actually in fairly decent order, though there is some play at lockup, but the barrels are sound and the bores are good with only some minor pitting.
Interestingly it seems to have 3-inch chambers and is also quite heavy at 7 ½ pounds.
No choke at all either. Standard London proof marks for the time.
I would have expected an underlever to be an early breechloader, however it has a deeley forend latch and smaller later type hammers.
Perhaps a later gun made in an earlier style for heavy ball loads?
Thoughts? Dates?
Cheers,
GDU

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Forgot the interesting oval, any ideas what it says?

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

`without God,without anything` is the Welsh inscription on the oval I believe !

2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Argo44 the gun seems to date from 1883.

The motto seems to have been used by both the Jones and Lloyd families.

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

....not many to sift through there then !!!lol.

2 members like this: greener4me, Parabola
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Greg, thanks for the post. As Mr, Imperdix noted, my dating chart would date it to December 1883. It is heavy for a Reilly shotgun and normally one would associate that weight with a pigeon gun. However no chokes and by 1883 Reilly was mostly using Whitworth Steel barrels for his pigeon guns. The gun has not been reproofed but somehow one doubts that the 3" chambers are original. If so that is very unusual if not unique.

The half-pistol grip is unusual. Reilly rarely used them on his shotguns. However, there are examples from this time period, mostly pigeon guns.

Beginning in 1882 Reilly bumped his production up from about 650 guns a year (throughout the 1860's and 1870's) to over 1,000 a year, probably because he decided to sell "off the rack" in addition to making bespoke guns. From this time period it's very possible that his boxlocks were being made in the white in Birmingham. Per the chart of extant guns on p.57 of the Reilly line, it appears that most of the guns from 1882-1883 time period were still U-L.
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=597372#Post597372

There are a couple of things I'd like to know about the gun for the record, It has the New Oxford Street, London address but does it have rue Scribe, Paris as well? And, is there a patent use number on the Deeley fore-end?

Gene Williams

Last edited by Argo44; 10/11/22 12:42 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

I’m sure that someone with the expertise will be able to look at the Crest and say which branch of which family. Unfortunately that ain’t me.

When you consider how few escutcheon plates end up being engraved, it does indicate a fairly prosperous first owner.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks all, I've never seen many escutcheons engraved either, certainly not this nicely.
The top rib simply has the 16 new Oxford Street London.
Yes there is Deeley and edge patent stamped on the side of the forend latch.
Presumably then its a bespoke gun due to its unusual configuration, a heavy 12 bore half pistol grip that was made without choke.
Possibly also with 3 inch chambers. If they have been lengthened it was done many years ago, wall thickness at the chamber end is around 95 thou.
I seem to recollect seeing a gun with BALL stamped underneath, was this done at all when they were stamping "not for ball"?
Irrespective of chamber the weight and lack of any choke would suggest a specific purpose, and I'm guessing it was not uncommon to fire ball ammunition at the time, do you think it could have been for this purpose?

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

When I first saw the weight and the semi-pistol grip I wondered if it were originally a rifle. However, the proofs on the barrels show it was indeed pre 1887. I may have been meant for the pigeon ring although it doesn't have some known Reilly Pigeon gun features but it certainly is possible that the owner wanted to use it for ball as you speculate.

In June 1875 "Not for Ball" stamp was added to choked guns. Greener had come out with his choke boring system in January 1875 and in a series of competitions proved their efficacy. Unlike other innovations all of the UK gun industry jumped on it and began advertising choked guns. Reilly's first such advertisement was in May 1875. This was done away with in 1887 replaced by "Choke." However, if a gun is cylinder bore, there will be no "Not for Ball" stamp.

I'll post two contemporary Reilly Pigeon guns below for comparison:

SN 23355 -1881: Note the weight, chokes, flat top rib and chambering (reproofed).
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/24227/lot/462/?category=list
A 12-bore hammer pigeon gun by E.M. Reilly & Co., no. 23355
Toplever, rebounding backlocks, percussion-fences, best foliate scroll-engraving, traces of hardening-colour, the well-figured stock with chequered ebonite butt-plate, the damascus barrels with game-rib engraved E.M. Reilly & Co., Oxford Street, London & Rue Scribe, Paris
Weight 8½lb., 14⅜in. pull (14⅛in. stock), 32in. barrels, approx. ⅝ & ¾ choke, 3in. chambers, London nitro reproof

SN 24650 - 1882: Typical of post 1881 Reilly top quality pigeon guns - Whitworth Barrels, fences, 7 lbs 8 oz (Hurlingham weight) etc:
https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...221+++1810+&refno=171703&image=4
E.M. REILLY & CO.
A 12-BORE SIDELEVER HAMMER PIGEON GUN, serial no. 24650,
circa 1885, 30in. nitro reproved barrels (some light pitting, minor ring bulge in left barrel) with raised tapered file cut matt rib, the tubes engraved 'E.M. REILLY & CO. OXFORD STREET. LONDON. & RUE SCRIBE. PARIS. COMPRESSED STEEL.', 2 3/4in. chambers, bored approx. 3/4 choke in both, broad treble-grip action with oblique dolls-head third bite, side clips, carved percussion fences, rebounding sidelocks, broad strikers, border and fine scroll engraving, retaining slight traces of renewed finish, 14 3/8in. highly figured stock including 1in. rubber recoil pad, weight 7lb. 7oz.

Last edited by Argo44; 10/12/22 09:45 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Gene A Stock, Action & Forend of a 12g double barrelled under lever hammer gun by Reilly sold at Weller & Dufty 31/01/2001. Serial No, 6249 Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.