March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ian Forrester, GSPWillie, Tim in PA, R. Glenz, Ted Schefelbein, steve voss), 809 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

1518 is a relatively low carbon manganese steel. Manganese steel is extremely tough and very impact and wear resistant. It is also very corrosion resistant. But depending upon the manganese content, it could be extremely difficult to cut or machine in a lathe, even with carbide tooling.

I had to drill some holes in manganese steel several years ago, and it was the toughest stuff I ever drilled. Good HSS drill bits were ruined almost immediately. I can't remember whether it was cobalt or titanium nitride coated bits that finally got through, but it was very difficult. It was also very hard to cut with abrasive cutting wheels. I thought it was stainless, but later found out it was manganese steel. I got it for free. It turned out to be not such a great bargain due to how hard it was to work.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Are you first going to ream the chamber and barrels concentric with hand reamers and then make the tubes to fit the bores? you might as well make the chambers 2 3/4 if not already. Please post pictures of your project

Sidelock
Sidelock

mc, yes turning an original barrel between centers would be interesting if you don't have a bandsaw and grinder.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why do all that?

I used Lothar Walther adapters to convert a Remington 3200 barrel set
to 16 gauge

Using a set of these
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/952494023

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by skeettx; 10/29/22 05:58 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Do the extractors/ejectors still work with the Lothar Walther inserts?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cut a slot in the inserts,
welded up some 12 gauge extractors,
and refitted them to 16 gauge.
All now work as a normal 16 gauge

1 member likes this: Parabola
AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you use any kind of inserts, trybefore buying. I have a set of Brily's (the fits all version). an older set of another brand, and chamber adapters of several brands. Only the old ones work in 2-1/2" chambers and they were custom ordered for the gun.

I think you should really consider honing/reaming the barrels. I am refurbishing an old R-11 16 ga right now. The bores were horrible looking. I lengthened the chambers so I could us inserts if I wanted. I used a long forcing cone reamer to helps remove some of the worst pitting. I then used an expanding reamer to remove about 0.015 from the bores (diameter). After honing and polishing the wall thicknesses were still thicker than the bulk of the doubles I shoot.

This is a common case of worrying about originality, when in actuality the serious pitting will detract more from value than a barrel opened up, clean and still with good wall thickness.

Do a lot of measurement before hand. It is hard to hone heavy pits out smoothy and reaming to size then honing is usually better. I have found that I was always surprised, however, how little removal can be needed to remove some horrible looking pits.

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jose Fernandez
Hello Skeettx,

Yes that is probaby the best solution... if I live in USA.
Belive it or not, those inserts are considered by law "firearms parts" so you can not import them and if you bring them with you from USA, you commited a crime!
The option to make my own inserts is the best to make usable a fantastic shotgun that, besides the damage inside the barrels, are in really nice condition.
So, I still need to know, what steel to use (I know 4140 is the forum recomendation, but I can not find them here).

The OP is in Mexico. He is honest, and law abiding, and as a direct result of that, he has been targeted by virulent leftist Mexican gun laws. Had he some street cred with one of the larger cartels, Eric Holder and Barrack would have personally seen that he had access to anything he wanted, but, that privilege will go to others. Too bad.

Suggesting he acquire a part to fix his gun is a no-no. He can’t. So, well intentioned that anyone who has posted on some nifty part that they can buy of eBay, or, wherever, is doing him exactly no good.

Make note of it. You ain’t in Kansa anymore, Toto. Americans always believe their gun laws are the only gun laws. Not so.

Guess I’d shoot for measurement and cleanup, which, if he is talking about producing a part on his own, he should be pretty close on equipment.

Good Luck, Jose’

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

YES, but the Lothar Walther inserts are ONLY sold in Germany smile

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by skeettx
YES, but the Lothar Walther inserts are ONLY sold in Germany smile

Man, that’s handy.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.