March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (bushveld, docbill, Dave Weber, cable, 2 invisible), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts543,999
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

There is a guy on another forum with 00 field grade 12 gauge LC Smith that is pre-1913. He was asking if it was safe to shoot factory loaded 3" TSS turkey loads. He and other family members have been using regular 2.75" field loads in it for years, and also using it for turkey hunting with 3" lead loads and even some 3" Hevishot loads. He says it will chamber a 3.5" shell, but he hasn't shot one. He has been advised to shoot proper shells for it, but it's apparent that he is going to continue to shoot what he has been using.

I was wondering how it can even chamber a 3" shell, much less a 3.5?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by coosa
There is a guy on another forum with 00 field grade 12 gauge LC Smith that is pre-1913. He was asking if it was safe to shoot factory loaded 3" TSS turkey loads. He and other family members have been using regular 2.75" field loads in it for years, and also using it for turkey hunting with 3" lead loads and even some 3" Hevishot loads. He says it will chamber a 3.5" shell, but he hasn't shot one. He has been advised to shoot proper shells for it, but it's apparent that he is going to continue to shoot what he has been using.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why any manufacturers would entertain the notion of producing consumer firearms and/or ammunition, today.

We have seen the enemy, and they are us.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

would be interested in knowing barrel wall thicknesses 3 1/2 up from breeches...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were grandpa and I saw that video, I think the next time junior came over, I would learn him what a pistol whippin' was. Specially, with that sawed off Fluesy.

Hey Ted I think this is the second time in as many weeks I find myself agreeing with you. Is there something wrong here?

Last edited by nca225; 12/01/22 01:24 PM.

Forum: a medium of discussion/expression of ideas. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forum
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by coosa

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why any manufacturers would entertain the notion of producing consumer firearms and/or ammunition, today.

We have seen the enemy, and they are us.

Best,
Ted

People have been abusing guns, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and all manner of machinery for as long as machines have been produced. The "Hold my beer and watch this..." attitude is nothing new.

What is relatively new is the attitude, driven by the Liberal Left, that manufacturers should be held legally liable for injuries or deaths that naturally occur when idiots insist on doing stupid and dangerous stuff. Using things for purposes that they were never intended for, and pushing guns or machines far beyond their design limits is bound to cause accidents. The Liberal Left response to this is to sue companies into bankruptcy. It's the same sort of mentally deficient lunacy that blames inanimate objects like guns, and millions of law abiding gun owners, for the actions of a tiny minority of criminals.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: eeb
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A post on the LCSCA Forum in Dec. 2014 regarding a 1906 No. 0 10g; barrel composition unknown by the gentleman:
“I was at a farm where a guy I have known for a couple years came out with this L.C. smith. He first shot the gun with Federal Premium Vital-Shok 3 1/2 Inch Magnum copper-plated 1100 fps 27 pellets No. 1 buck (27 pellets of #1 buck is about 2 1/2 oz.). I still have the box and 1 live shell. He fired one shell out of each barrel with no problems. I asked if I could shoot the gun...and fired 1 shell out of each barrel.”
“I have never seen a gun this old nevertheless shoot one. I thought it would be cool to hunt with it. I'm guessing from your comment not such a good idea.”

A recent thread on Shotgun World
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/identifying-belgian-10-gauge.552771/#post-4774604

OTOH
Buck Hamlin’s destructive testing, courtesy of Tom Archer
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422672&page=2
Buck Hamlin was given an extremely well-used damascus barrel Lefever with a burst right barrel just past the forend tip. The barrel wall thickness at the rupture point was .010”, and the chamber was 2 5/8”.
With the intent to rupture the left barrel, Buck measured the bore diameter and started his effort with a box of 2 3/4” 1 5/8 oz. short magnums. After 25 shells the left barrel had no change in bore diameter. He then lengthened the chamber to 3”, and following 25 1 7/8 oz. magnums (lead #2 and BB) there was still no change in bore diameter.
Buck then lengthened the chamber to 3 1/2” and used 3 1/2” 2 1/4 oz. lead turkey loads. The left barrel blew after only a few shots. The wall thickness at the rupture point, which was almost aligned with the bursting point of the right side tube, also measured .010”.

1 member likes this: coosa
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reminds me of how we young teenagers used to shoot .38-55's in our .410 singles, and also arrows with the pellets removed from cartridges. And then there were the homemade fireworks and flame throwers.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hal
Reminds me of how we young teenagers used to shoot .38-55's in our .410 singles, and also arrows with the pellets removed from cartridges. And then there were the homemade fireworks and flame throwers.

ah, the good old days!

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

You did notice they were not using a ithaca 20 bore gun. All but one cracked frame I have ever seen were 20's with a very light receiver. Best outcome for all is for that video to be banned and those "shooters" to have a vasectomy to stop their genes from being passed down to others.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Drew Hause
A post on the LCSCA Forum in Dec. 2014 regarding a 1906 No. 0 10g; barrel composition unknown by the gentleman:
“I was at a farm where a guy I have known for a couple years came out with this L.C. smith. He first shot the gun with Federal Premium Vital-Shok 3 1/2 Inch Magnum copper-plated 1100 fps 27 pellets No. 1 buck (27 pellets of #1 buck is about 2 1/2 oz.). I still have the box and 1 live shell. He fired one shell out of each barrel with no problems. I asked if I could shoot the gun...and fired 1 shell out of each barrel.”
“I have never seen a gun this old nevertheless shoot one. I thought it would be cool to hunt with it. I'm guessing from your comment not such a good idea.”

A recent thread on Shotgun World
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/identifying-belgian-10-gauge.552771/#post-4774604

OTOH
Buck Hamlin’s destructive testing, courtesy of Tom Archer
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=422672&page=2
Buck Hamlin was given an extremely well-used damascus barrel Lefever with a burst right barrel just past the forend tip. The barrel wall thickness at the rupture point was .010”, and the chamber was 2 5/8”.
With the intent to rupture the left barrel, Buck measured the bore diameter and started his effort with a box of 2 3/4” 1 5/8 oz. short magnums. After 25 shells the left barrel had no change in bore diameter. He then lengthened the chamber to 3”, and following 25 1 7/8 oz. magnums (lead #2 and BB) there was still no change in bore diameter.
Buck then lengthened the chamber to 3 1/2” and used 3 1/2” 2 1/4 oz. lead turkey loads. The left barrel blew after only a few shots. The wall thickness at the rupture point, which was almost aligned with the bursting point of the right side tube, also measured .010”.

Thanks for the great info, but I don't understand how the guy I referenced above or the one you mentioned are able to chamber a 3.5" shell in an old LC Smith. Don't they all have short chambers? Do they have long forcing cones that make this possible? Thanks

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.