April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (j7l2, 2 invisible), 870 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,834
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Climbers use snow caves for protection, Alaskan trappers would hollow out a bed in the snow using caribou pelts as ground and top cover , enjoying relative comfort. Similar for partridge, I'd wager. I know , when hunting partridge in Canada we would find them on the wind protected side of old agricultural buildings. They dislike the wind and I assume yesterday, when some drifting was going on, their "burrows" in the snow kept the wind off. The thing that amazed me was how they fearlessly dove into the snow from full flight. If it had been me flying, I would have checked the snow depth and condition before diving in.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was bird hunting in Ga in the 60s and we had a rare snow and dogs pointed and a bobwhite burst out of the snow and startled me! I hope i did not kill it as i cannot remember. Bobby

Last edited by bbman3; 12/06/22 01:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It doesn't snow much in GA. When it does I've always tried to get out in it. I once walked into a covey of Bobwhite quail buried in the snow while tracking a buck. Wow!...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

We had 14" snow, on flat ground, here in the early '70s .......... January '73, I think.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has happened to me several times in my few trips to Nebraska in late season. Pretty fun and I generally make a couple of misses out of what should be easy shots when it does. That said a covey flush in the snow seems to be strung out a bit more in time than without snow, so reload and be ready for the straggler. That's my best strategy to date.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
We had 14" snow, on flat ground, here in the early '70s .......... January '73, I think.

I remember that one, Stan. I was stationed at the Infantry School, Fort Benning. I had the weekend off and a wife waiting in south GA. Only way I got out of Columbus was to follow a semi and stay in its tracks...Geo

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago, my brother and I were hunting the fencerows of our farm on a bitterly cold morning after a night of blowing snow. There sticking out of a snow drift was the tail-end of cock pheasant. We both thought it was frozen in place, so my brother grabbed the tail feathers to pull it out. We were shocked when the pheasant started cackling and beating the air with its wings. In all the excitement, my brother tossed the rooster into the air, and I managed to drop it dead on the corn stubble. Sort of a farmboy version of a columbaire pigeon shot.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Hal Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite common here to see Gray Partridge do the opposite. When a blizzard begins, they go to short grain stubble or dug ground on hilltops and huddle together, presumably to avoid being covered by hard packed snow. Meanwhile the pheasants die in lower areas with their beaks open and heads stuffed with snow.
During one bad blizzard I had a covey of starving partridge come up to the bird feeders on my deck. One died there in a hole left by my boots. Just another bad day for the sharptails, however, but they are semi-migratory in the northern Great Plains and will move hundreds of miles south if conditions get too extreme. On one winter hunt, we saw a flock of about 150 assemble, wheel around a big wetland till they got about a hundred yards high and then disappear to the southeast. We found they were in the dry bottom feeding on dead snails.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Never seen a pheasant die with its beak wide open and stuffed with snow. Never. Sounds pretty odd and we have hunted them a lot of miles in all sorts of winter conditions.

Ice has always seemed like the big killer to me - for any wildlife.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

I’ve come across several coveys of dead quail frozen in their roost in an ice storm. Very sad sight. Very sad. Ice is very hard on my little friends. Been thinking about trying to make a bit of habitat for a couple coveys. If you fail, fail, fail you might as well fail again and I just love to hear old bob calling in an evening.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.