May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jimmy W, tut, ClapperZapper, Marks_21), 279 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,571
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wish I had a X peg to use when I was holding Dove shoots years ago. Everybody expected the most prime spot it seemed. I assigned spots most days, putting the better known shooters in spots that would get fewer birds knowing that they would kill just about all that came their way. The shooters who could not hit their ass with a spade, got spots which offered more action, knowing their hit percentage would be so low that it evened out. The only way to make them a bit more careful about shot selection was to limit them to two boxes of shells. After that they had to take the walk of shame back to get another box. And no more than one more box could be taken back into the field at a time. The walk of shame was what it became known as because with a lot of birds needing more than two boxes said you were a below average shot and after the third box it said you were really a bad shot. Some shooters could have used a truck load of shell while others could be done with a box or so shells expended.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Damascus, I can only presume the lucky "X" gun retained that peg throughout the course of the day. Whilst this may sound unfair, as you point out they were his Lordships birds and he could do with them as he pleased. Again presumably Guns would rotate over this peg , thus after the first drive gun 4 would move to No6,. Although this may sound rather biased there are many ways the Head Keeper and Under Keepers could control the results and impact, techniques such as banking in, flagging , sewelling position,beating speed and direction could all be tweaked to influence the No. and rate of birds going over Mr X's peg, last drive before lunch ensuring plenty of birds over peg X so he could endure plenty of ribbing over misses or congratulations on an exceptional performance. The afternoon drives being modified by surreptitiously adjusting the positions of the pegs. Either way I'm sure all the guns would have had a marvelous day out, grand lunch and gun X would have had to stand his fellow guns a good round at the hotel that evening or at the next Market Day.

All the Best this Boxing Day

Hugh Lomas,
H.G.Lomas Gunmakers Inc.
920 876 3745
2 members like this: eeb, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever number you draw you keep that number and them move up; usually two places, for each drive so that no one is left out of a possible good spot. I like the one about the X being the one to dress the birds. That would be great fun on a 500 bird day! The Guns (shooters) are given a complimentary brace at the end of the day and more if they want them. They used to be sold on to the Game Dealers but now the shoot has to actually pay the Game dealer to take them. The Beaters and Dog Handlers are almost begged to take some birds home. I know some shoots used to have what was called the King's Peg. No matter which drive the King was always placed on the best stand. Lagopus.....

2 members like this: GLS, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Very insightful-- The King's peg-- in the words of the late Tom Petty- "It's good to be King"!! Cheers RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

KINGSX

mc #624215 12/27/22 11:52 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mc
KINGSX

I remember KingsX from childhood but I cannot remember what it meant. Time out, maybe?...Geo

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fingers crossed behind your back. In Florida in the 1950's it was meant as "time out" but it also (Perhaps locally) gave you the right to tell a falsehood without retribution.

Last edited by Argo44; 12/27/22 01:29 PM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by damascus
Well Mr Brown you now know the Minuti but you did not attempt to answer the question, though come forth with rules after the answer was posted. Lets get this straight the person known to be a Lord who owns an Estate consisting of many many thousands of acres including the farms that keep producing money for his coffers, he will run the shoot day the way they want to and I am sure he would tell your good self to go away in very short jerky movements ending with an off at the same time explaining that you could put tour rules where the sun dont shine also if you require any help his Estate Manager or one of his four game keepers would give you a hand.
Well Mr brown I will now put your good self down as a person who is given an answer then attempts to expand on the answer in an effort to give the aura of knowledge, as we all know the blank piece of paper is the hardest to start with.

Well Damascus, we don't shoot driven much on this side of the pond like you still do on yours. And these days as opposed to what's shown in "The Shooting Party", it's seldom the lord of the manor who's inviting friends to a driven shoot. Plenty of those still available in the UK, but the bulk of them are now commercial. While they may well take place on estates, it's now another way for the owner of the estate to make money. And it's how most of us on this side of the pond get to enjoy driven shooting. And most who haven't shot driven might not have been clear about how the whole pegs system works . . . until I and others took the time to explain that while drawing for pegs does take place before the first drive, one only has the peg they draw for that drive. Rotation taking place for subsequent drives, as explained. A commercial shoot owner is going to want to be as fair as he can in terms of making sure everyone has a chance to shoot from the middle pegs before the day's over. He wants all of them to return. And possibly tell friends about what a fine shoot they'll enjoy if they book a couple driven days at the same estate.

But since you look back to the shoots that were more typical of the end of the 19th/early 20th century, then I know you'd really want to address me by my title. It's Colonel. Thank you.

Last edited by L. Brown; 12/27/22 06:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Having both a penchant for both detail and accuracy, a well as a NCO's background in our USMC, may I inquire if that is "Light Col." or "Full-Bird Col.?? Of course, I had to salute both.. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Good question, Fox. I spent 9 years "standing in ranks" before I was commissioned. But then hung around long enough to retire as a full bird. A real stroke of luck. I'd only been an LTC for a year when I was selected to command an Army Reserve Military Intelligence Detachment (Strategic). The command slot--of a unit with only 10 soldiers--rated a colonel. So my promotion, as long as I didn't screw up, was pretty much automatic. We MID(S) commanders recognized that we probably had the best job in the Army. No vehicles. Another unit looked after our weapons. We had two 4 draw safes full of classified information and a bunch of office furniture. All the enlisted soldiers were NCOs, plus a warrant officer, a major, an LTC, and a colonel. We did our annual training in places like Washington, DC rather than garden spots like Camp Ripley, MN or Ft McCoy, WI. And eventually went to the UK for our annual training, in support of the US European Command's Joint Analysis Center. Located at RAF Molesworth, an old WWII bomber base. Shortly before I retired, the military started building Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities (SCIFs) for us so that we had access to the Top Secret/Special Compartmented Information (TS/SCI) which you probably read about in connection to documents recovered at Mar-a-Lago. And we were provided with secure computers so that we could communicate at a classified level with units we supported all over the world. Shortly after we finally entered the 21st century (although it was a few years before 2000), I retired. It was a very interesting part time job.

1 member likes this: Run With The Fox
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.