March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, KDGJ, smlekid, Owenjj3, Argo44), 822 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Push forward set triggers are not Germanic style, and this rifle was clearly rebuilt in the Good Ol' USA.

Thoughts on possible maker?
Newton-ish?
These are the best pictures from the auction, they had no close up of the trigger assembly.
[Linked Image from images.proxibid.com]

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot say but I will comment that the "Buffalo Newtons" reversed triggers were much coarser...almost like stamped parts.

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is hard to see from the pictures, I have a similar set of triggers on a rifle from that period. Oddly enough, they don't function like
your classical set trigger, on my rifle the rear trigger has a crisp pull with no creep, pushing the front trigger forward turns the rear trigger into
what feels like a two-stage military type trigger.

LRF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by PhysDoc
It is hard to see from the pictures, I have a similar set of triggers on a rifle from that period. Oddly enough, they don't function like
your classical set trigger, on my rifle the rear trigger has a crisp pull with no creep, pushing the front trigger forward turns the rear trigger into
what feels like a two-stage military type trigger.
Interesting, Pull the action and share a pic of the trigger group and sear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Newton had some of his rifles made on contract in Germany on 98 actions.
Some of those had the reverse facing front trigger in the DST style as shown.
The German made rifles had the much nicer made triggers with trim profiles.

The US made Newton reverse style DST used on the 2nd Model Newton rifle have the very heavy profile triggers as mentioned above.

The US made (Buffalo, NY made or 1st Model Newtons) with the standard looking DST system (both triggers facing forward) have trim profiles as well.
They are coil spring powered.

I'd guess that the trigger on the rifle is German and the style Newton ordered for his rifles. Newton ordered commercial Mauser 98 actions to be used AFAIK.

Added
Scroll down a ways in this link and there is a pic of the 2 different US built Newtons and one of a German made Newton.
The latter has the style of DST in question.
https://revivaler.com/newton-rifle-256-newton/

Added More...

I didn't think nor wish to imply that the rifle in question was Newton built/mfg.
I thought the triggers were German and still do by their appearance of the ones used and recv'd by Newton from Germany on those contract rifles.

Last edited by Kutter; 02/06/23 03:51 PM. Reason: added info and link
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

To be clear, I do not believe this is a Newton rifle or uses any Newton parts, just that the triggers look "Newton-ish"

Hope to pick up the rifle from the auction in the next day or two. I impulse bid on it, just to examine the trigger set up.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

Could they be pre-war Pacific double sets? I have them on a Krag varmint rifle, operation is by pushing the front trigger forward to set the rear trigger.

Kind of hard to see but there they are. (Pacific made a lot more stuff than just sights and loading tools. The grip cap and butt plate on this rifle, both made of aluminum, are from Pacific also.) Rifle is a .22 Maximum Lovell, built by Hervey Lovell, borrowed rifle rest and all.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Gary D.
(Pacific made a lot more stuff than just sights and loading tools. The grip cap and butt plate on this rifle, both made of aluminum, are from Pacific also.)
Will see if it is marked when I get it apart.

The grand era of rifle building.

I own or have owned rifles by:
LE Wilson
Brownells
Paul Jaeger
PO Ackley
Flaigs

These are gunsmiths who also made parts and pieces for the trade.
Have just as many rifles of similar quality whose makers are lost to the fog of time.

This isn't the first rifle I have bought for a single part. Original Neidner butttplates are hard to find and expensive when you do.
Buy rifle, remove plate, fit pad, sell rifle....
If the rifle is good quality, I will leave it alone. And I picked up a half a dozen of these (NoS) at an auction last year. grin

Mike
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Rifle in hand. Driving home, so no pics yet.

"Traditional" double set in that front teigger sets the rear for a lighter pull.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm lost. Where is it "traditional" that the front trigger sets the rear? Oh, I see. Pushing the reversed front trigger forward sets the rear. Still not sure I'd call that traditional, maybe just "normal" for a reversed front trigger.

Last edited by HalfaDouble; 02/06/23 05:46 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.