May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Bret Adams, dogon, Drew Hause, Chantry, ClapperZapper, CJ Dawe), 500 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,414
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#626346 02/18/23 02:04 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Does anyone reload 12 gauge 2" shells? I am curious about it, and I find only 2 loads on Hodgdon's sight, zero recipes on Alliant's site, and a search of this forum turns up very little on 2" at all in the last few years, nothing to do with reloading. BPI and Precision Reloading do not list any 2" hulls, and I don't think they have any special wads for them either.

Is this strictly reduced inventing one's own recipes and cutting down longer plastic hulls and reloading with hand tools and fiber wads? I have an old press that I was thinking I might convert to loading 2" hulls, but what's out there for recipes and components?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,

GLS was loading 2” shells a few years ago. You may want to PM him. I don’t know if he’s still finding components. I’m still using RST shells and hoping they can source components before my supply runs out.

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 02/18/23 03:00 PM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have found looking at 7/8 loads it is possible to find one that will fit a roll crimped 2in trimmed hull.

When unable to find 2.5 loads, I found many 1 oz and 1 1/8oz 2.75 loads that fit roll crimped 2.5

Last edited by old colonel; 02/18/23 03:13 PM. Reason: Added

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
I have found looking at 7/8 loads it is possible to find one that will fit a roll crimped 2in trimmed hull.

When unable to find 2.5 loads, I found many 1 oz and 1 1/8oz 2.75 loads that fit roll crimped 2.5

A 7/8 oz load would work for me. But yesterday, someone showed me a 2" gun proofed for 1 1/8 oz. I don't know how that could possibly fit, but someone did it. What powder and wad did you use?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I assume you are using a 2” chambered gun, and will need to bear in mind that many of them as built (and passed proof) had relatively thin wall thicknesses.

When, Pre-dating the 2 inch chamber, short cartridges such as Lancaster “Pygmies” were tried in longer chambers shot balling sometimes proved to be an issue.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
I assume you are using a 2” chambered gun, and will need to bear in mind that many of them as built (and passed proof) had relatively thin wall thicknesses.

When, Pre-dating the 2 inch chamber, short cartridges such as Lancaster “Pygmies” were tried in longer chambers shot balling sometimes proved to be an issue.

I'm not using anything right now. I am looking around to buy one, however. I would not shoot 2" in a longer chamber - not point in that, at least for me. But a 5.5# 12 gauge with 7/8 or 1 oz load of shot for grouse - that has possibilities and gives me a reason to surf the gun auctions. smile

I am planning on going to Tulsa for the first time in April. Perhaps I will find one there. If so, I would like to know how to load for it, before I lay down a lot of cash.

_________

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ballistic Products has a short shells brochure that is one's for the asking. It lists several loads in 3/4 oz. and 7/8 oz. using International, Green Dot, Fiocchi hulls, various BP in stock components. I've shot them for the past 3 seasons successfully at woodcock and quail I have also loaded Cheddite paper hulls that I trim down. The Fiocchi cut down hull is a dam bioch to roll crimp. The Cheddies are a dream to roll crimp and I get at least 3 reloads out of them. There was a proof house dispute over what the short 12 should be proofed. My two guns were proofed for 7/8 oz. Some were done at 3/4 oz. and some at 1 1/8 oz. They were proofed in the white and some believe that once back to the gunmaker they were filed more on the outside to reduce weight. Skimin & Wood made guns in the white finished out by other makers. I have a Hellis and a Skimin & Wood finished out by a no-name maker. The Hellis's barrels were marked J.A., Joseph Asbury, one of the top barrel makers in his era.
One gunsmith I know has a 2" Dickson made by Dickson. It is a rarity. The walls are thin, but in proof, and it's his favorite game gun. Lagopus is a knowledgeable resource about the species. If anyone desires the BP brochure, pm your email address. It's a PDF so it has to be emailed rather than pm'd. The 2' chamber can't accept 2.5" loads They won't fit unfired. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gil, I would love to see that brochure. My email is brentd@iastate.edu.

Hodgdon's loads list International powder and WinAA hulls. I didn't see where it mentioned crimp style, but it may have. Seems like straight walled hulls and roll crimping would be advantageous though.

I have no interest in pushing the envelope on these loads, but I don't know where the envelope ends. I'll have to search a few other load sources, but I can imagine I may be sending some loads to Tom Armbrust. That's okay.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

The vintage Remington Shur-Shot 2-inch 12-gauge shells I've seen were 3/4-ounce of shot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brent,

Here’s an old link on 2” gun proofs 2” proof. If you have the DGJ (Spring 1996--Vol Seven Issue 1) it is a good discussion on the 2” gun proofs.

Ken

Last edited by KDGJ; 02/18/23 05:27 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.