May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ted Schefelbein, Buzz, Tim Wolf, battle, 2 invisible), 542 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,456
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#626483 02/20/23 09:06 PM
ChiefO Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

So I’m in the market for a nice SxS that could serve double duty for the occasional clays shoot and a dove/pheasant gun. I’ve toyed with the idea of several models but am drawn to the AYA line as they seem to be a great quality that is within my budget. A local shop has a really nice round body number 2 in 12 gauge that has been hunted but not abused. The only issue is that the stock has been shortened to 13 5/8”. My LoP is short of 14” typically and in a cold weather hunting scenario I need it even shorter to allow for coats. The gun mounts well for me and I believe it will work just as it is. My question is how much has this gun depreciated as a result of the stock being shortened? I’m willing to make a fair offer but I know its resale marketability is drastically affected. I’d appreciate any feedback on the matter. Thanks!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is 13 5/8 inches with a pad, then it will be unsuitable for the majority of shooters. Obviously it’s a tough gun to sell and being a 12 bore #2 adds to the difficulty in my mind! If you can make the gun work for you, I’m estimating the fair value to be less then 3K. Just one man’s opinion and you know what they say about opinions! 😎

nid-28
Sidelock
Sidelock

ChiefO,
I know this doesn't address your question, but I think its worth mentioning.
I purchased a 20ga AYA #2 round body years ago. It had beautiful wood, I shot it well and function was flawlessly. HOWVER, I finally sold it because of what I considered poor execution of the engraving. If you look at the symmetry around the cocking indicators, you will notice that on most #2's the engraving is not centered. It bothered me so bad that to this day when I see an AYA #2 being considered, it is the 1st thing that comes to mind. It has since been replaced with a Garbi 101 which makes me smile every time I look at, and handle it. Do yourself a favor and look the engraving over carefully and make sure you are happy.

Typical #2 engraving for reference.
https://p1.gunbroker.com/pics/970916000/970916152/pix141637638.jpg

Just a tidbit to consider.

I agree with Bill D.. If all other aspects of the gun trip your trigger, I would be considerably below 3K on a short stocked 12ga..

YMMV.

Bill

Last edited by ithaca1; 02/21/23 10:28 AM.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

The engraving on a #2 is not hand engraving. It is rolled on by a template. So if the plates are off center, then the rolled on engraving is off center too

John Boyd

John Boyd
Quality Arms Inc
Houston, TX
713-818-2971
1 member likes this: ithaca1
Sidelock
Sidelock

At 13 5/8 you could easily put a 3/8 inch spacer in it if it has a pad. A thin English solid pad if no pad exist. A lot of 13 5/8” stocks with a pad are 12 5/8” or 12 /8” which will look hideous with a couple three spacers and an inch thick pad. Worse still with a 1 1/2” Silvers reproduction pad.

But perhaps the more important point is how easily will it be to sell later? I know a lot of guns, with 26” barrels, which are a [censored - come on man!] to sell these days. Those get heavily discounted. Even 28” barrels are not in prime demand. A short stocked gun will not be an easy sale. Your best guide might be to research what similar guns sold for on GunBroker with 28 & 30” barrels and adjust down from there. Blue book gun values does not work anymore. Listen to John, he most likely has forgotten more about your subject gun that we ever knew.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the gun is useful to you as it is now why would you ask this question? You don't want a gun with a stock that is too long for you but is original. Ask this; what would the gun in its original condition sell for in an English gun shop right now? My understanding is that SxSs are going for cheap there. That may be the market when you try to sell it in the future. If you think it is a bit more than you want to spend and the shortened stock is a dickering point, that's another thing. My LOP is the same as yours and I turn away from guns with really nice wood that I will then have to cut a half inch of that nice wood. If someone has done it already I'm in.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I, too; have seen all too often the off-centered engraving — particularly on the right side plate. You would think that a gun at this point that AyA would get it right. However, it seems more often than not that they cannot.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
1 member likes this: ithaca1
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is it priced at as it sits on the rack?
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
ChiefO Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. The gun is priced on consignment at $4600 and I think we all agree that’s too high. The owner knows he’s upside down in the gun and is willing to sell for less hence why I posed the question. I don’t mind paying a fair price but I know that the shortened stock presents some significant challenges in the future should I decide to sell as liverwort eluded to.

I may make a significantly reduced offer on the gun as its lop could work for me and it has thinwall Brileys installed which appeals to me. I appreciate everyone’s input!!

1 member likes this: liverwort
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Thin wall Britney’s don’t appeal to everybody. Further, the gun is now out of proof. You have to draw the line between what works for you, and a someday value that doesn’t kick your butt, I get that, but, the goalposts on value keep moving, the more you talk about it.

I never handled an AYA number 2 that made me want to own it. Never. Pulling the locks off would cement the queezy feeling. Rough, and halfway finished was how I felt about every single one I ever had my hands on. They must have made a few good ones, they sold a bunch, but, I can’t say I’ve ever seen any of those.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.