Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Let's hope this thread turns out a bit better than the last one!!

This one depicts a hunter returning home with nothing and then seductively getting a pitcher of milk poured all over him.

And of course there's a Lefaucheux pinfire double in all the pics!

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Ah! la, la, zut quelle chasse
En fait de gibier j'ai bien peur
Moi qui révais de tas en masse
De rentrer bredouille, ah! malheur!

Tiens, tiens, la petite friponne
Ou courez-vous la belle enfant?
De bon lait frais, crémeux et blanc
Voulez-vous me faire l'aumône?

Versez encor.... versez l'ivresse!!
Oui! mais j'vas vous inonder!!

Ca ne fait rien, si je vous presse
C'est pour mieux me désaltérer!

Là, j'l'avais dit, a-t'on point vu
Pareille façon de boire
Ma fi, vous l'avez bien voulu
Ah, ah, j'en ris là bonne histoire

Tout cela c'est bien bel et bon
Mais voici que la cruche est vide..
Ma bouche, elle, est toujours avide
Rafraichissez-moi s'il vous plaît.

Clock Guns, Pauly Guns, Pinfire Guns and Pinfire Cartridges
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

The text is pretty suggestive. I like the cross on the girl and traditional dress....that was old hard-working Catholic France before the great transition in the late 20th century.

The inscriptions are interesting. Marie was certainly sending kisses and close friendship to someone. This is not necessarily as sexual as it sounds except for the text on the cards. The last card is not signed by Marie and the handwriting is different. The addressee is incomprehensible to me but I'll try to figure it out with help from the usual. What she had in that jug was not milk...but milk was suggestive. The expression qui s'y frotte. . s'y mouille obviously has connotations I as a foreigner don't understand. (literally: Those who scratch get wet? Those who play with fire get burned?)

(To put in context, Europeans used to send post cards like we do Christmas cards now - a sort of "thinking of you" reminder with little text. I did this once a week from Greece to my father-in-law who was in the hospital in France for a several months in the early 1990's with a cursory text).

Gene

Nice gun...Lefaucheaux pin-fire in 1909?

We once had a knowledgable poster from France. Don't know whether he'll be back. (Oh well, the right to insult for no reason remains unabridged. Thanks).

Last edited by Argo44; 02/25/23 01:08 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

These are fun. Thanks, Aaron. Argo, I appreciate the explanations of the French language.

Sidelock
Sidelock

ive seen this series of french post cards before...

cept the last six are missin...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'll photograph the backs for you Gene and you can read about their romance!

AaronN Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44
qui s'y frotte. . s'y mouille

I think it is a play on a more common idiom of qui s'y frotte, s'y pique

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wife says it's something like...."if you rub against it, you'll get wet too." The meaning is similar to "play with fire" but in this case, it more like "if you get too close, you'll suffer." Gene.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Boxlock
Boxlock

I love the cards. The absolute clarity and sharpness I find amazing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Can we deduce from the photos that at least this Frenchman is not well grounded in gun safety, and also care. Laying a what I presume is a loaded double barrel shotgun down in the dust and dirt as shown in the photo here goes against the grain of what my elders taught me> he might well have put it on his hat, also on the ground. Also this leaves some chance of something getting into the muzzles, wind blown dirt, debris, whatever- not a good thing! RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Can we deduce from the photos that at least this Frenchman is not well grounded in gun safety, and also care.

Oui, we can.

Originally Posted by Argo44
(Oh well, the right to insult for no reason remains unabridged. Thanks).

(Didn’t you call someone a crackhead once? De rien)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.