May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Hal M Hare, PALUNC, Chuck H, David Williamson), 458 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter, I tried to do what you suggested, but I got no movement in the slide. I think the front trigger is in the cocked position.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/15/23 01:08 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Glenn, I appreciate that you would take yours apart. Is yours a Bannerman made [later gun] ? By the way, here is a good tutorial on disassembly of the Spencer on Firearms Talk. https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/1886-spencer-shotgun-extractor.147523/ It is a gun from a bit later period , but most details are similar to my No. 822. I think the front trigger is in the cocked position on mine, for whatever that is worth. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl,

I think I understand the procedure that you hold the front trigger and THEN pull the rear trigger to lower the hammer.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Parabola, yes, that is right.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Daryl:

No problem taking it apart. It is the putting together thing that always stumps me. The gun needed a good cleaning anyway. It is a genuine F. Bannerman Model 1890 with a serial number in the 8000s.

I see nothing that obviously would cause the problem you have. At the end of the rearward stroke of the slide the hammer should cock (with the forward trigger moving forward) and the block released to move to its upper position. At the very end of the stroke the hammer/trigger should move back under spring tension a bit even if the hammer is cocked.

When the block snaps up it brings the shell to be loaded up into line with the bore. The forward movement of the slide pulls the shell into the chamber and, at the very end of the forward stroke, cams the block down and into battery. It may be that the little pivoting lug that snaps behind the shell to pull it forward is hanging up some way. That is the only thing happening at that part of the cycle that, as I see it, could impair the forward movement of the slide. Unfortunately, this lug is inside the loading chamber of the block when the slide is back and therefor hidden from mortal eyes.

There should be no effort required to start the slide forward, as all it is doing is pulling the shell forward.

I would put a little force on the slide to see if it can be coaxed to move forward. There are no delicate parts to be damaged excepting the lug mentioned, and even that is fairly sturdy. Failing that it would seem the action has to come apart.

Glenn

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The front trigger is part of the hammer, just on the other end of the pivot point. Pushing this 'trigger' forward is the same action as pulling a convention hammer back with your thumb.

There is no sacrifice too great for someone else to make.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This morning I was finally ready to disassemble the Spencer. I put it on my workbench but had one more idea when I saw some brass punches.

I decided to take a brass punch and try to tap the slide forward. With very light tapping with a plastic hammer, the slide began to move forward. I think the whole problem was lack of lubrication. The inside of the gun was very clean, but very dry. I have been lightly oiling the parts I can see and the mechanism is loosening up. It's not all the way there, but I think with some more gentle movement of the slide, the Spencer might be back in business. Thanks for your thoughts and help, I'm so glad I didn't have to take it apart. Daryl

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great news!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.