April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fudd, Argo44, ivanhoe, FlyChamps, 2 invisible), 475 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,471
Posts545,151
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tkunz Offline OP
OP Offline

I saw this posted on another forum about doubles with soft soldered barrels.

" I would not advise shooting the guns for long strings of targets in hot weather either. Getting them too hot to touch from repeated rapid target shooting is risky."

Is that really true? If so, how much shooting is too much?

During the summer I try to get out as much as possible with my Fox Sterlingworth 16 ga. and shoot trap or skeet. I usually shoot about a 4 boxes of shells, and I do have to wear a glove on my left hand because the barrels get hot. Am I risking damage to the gun?

Tim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome fellow Sterli owner. I don't think normal target shooting during hot weather can do much harm, but cleaning bores after might be another matter. When I scrubbed barrels of mine with: copper, lead, plastic wad solvent I made sure not to get any on blue or near rib barrel junctions (there is probably some lead in that solder).
PS. Keeping it out of direct sunlight when possible is healthy for CC.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Solder melts at 360F. Something is 'too hot to touch' at something like 120F. Nasty burns result at or near boiling point of water (212F). I've not heard of anyone actually being burned by hot barrels, but I'd imagine long strings of BP would get things too hot to be comfortable even with gloves.

Summary: I think the shooter would stop before the barrels would unsolder.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble

Do you think the gun was OK to shoot in hot weather when it's new?
So why wouldn't it be OK to shoot in hot weather today.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You will be fine. Just shot 200 rounds this morning through an old hammergun with no ill effects.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Most guys would not venture out to shoot clays on a day that was so hot as to add many degrees to the heat retained by barrels. Or so I think.
Of course we might be able to work up an equation to prove that loose ribs might be more loosened by the harmonic amplification of ambient air that was 15 degrees above yesterday.:} I will have to consult Al Gore for his input.LOL
Best,
John
PS---I know that the question was a serious one, but I am here recovering from a not so gentle procedure that removes me from the rolls of East Coast Distributors.
I dream !!!!LOL

Humble member of the League of Extraodinary Gentlemen (LEG). Joined 14 March, 2006. Member #1.

A companion and I once took turns shooting his 1890 H & H on a clay pigeon grouse butt and shot it until it got so hot it seized and wouldn't open. We'd set it aside for 3 or 4 minutes and it would open, eject the empties, and shoot perfectly until the next "seizure." We put around 750 rounds through it that afternoon, which was not particularly hot, and it never missed a beat. Just had to let it cool down now and then. KBM

Sidelock
Sidelock

Just watch the people shooting the flurry at the UP SxS shoot. As many shells as you can get our in 2-1/2 minutes gets the barrels so hot most wear welder's gloves and I've never heard of a failure.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't worry about the sun/WD40, bore cleaner and your case colors. Do worry about worn laqure finish on case colors. Case colors wear away from MILD abrasion. Only something that eats iron oxides will hurt case colors.
bill

tkunz Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks alot for the replies. That is kind of what I thought, I just wanted to be sure. I really like my Fox and I didn't want to do it any harm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.