April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Replacement, Jimmy W, Mike Harrell), 231 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,162
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
12 hours ago
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My Dad’s old .22, now owned by my son, has developed a very inconsistent and occasional stovepipe jam. At least some of it may be attributed to operator error, a loose sleeve on my son’s coat might have rubbed on the breech block (on the bottom of the 241, mostly identical to the Browning SA .22 rifle). But, it has happened to me, as well, and I had a T-shirt on, and nothing was contacting the breech block, for sure, when it did it to me. It seems to occur more often with high velocity.22 ammunition. If it happened more often, I could likely figure it out, eventually. The gun is cleaned after each use, always has been, since my Dad bought it in 1947. There is no burr on the end of the barrel from the gun being dry fired, a new round drops right in and right back out again. It has been very well cared for.
I’m stumped. Any suggestions?

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps ammo specific?

Sidelock
Sidelock

First thing comes to mind is a weak or broken extractor spring, or possibly a broken or bent extractor. Either might let the spent round leave the bolt face before it hits the ejector. High velocity rounds might push the bolt back faster causing the higher likelihood of separation. The empty has enough momentum to clear the chamber but isn’t ejected out of the receiver when the bolt comes back forward.

A repair could be as simple as removing the bolt and soak in lacquer thinner to free up the spring. It seems to dissolve hidden gunk better than anything else I use. While it’s out give the extractor a visual inspection. Slide a cartridge in and out of the extractor to get a feel for whether it’s grabbing the rim well enough. If confident enough to disassemble the extractor you can just replace the spring. Can’t hurt to freshen an old spring like that.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

I know you said you clean it, but do you clean all the right places? My Rem 241 is pretty reliable with any ammunition but I quit using high velocity stuff about 20 yrs ago.

They are wonderful guns and many times better than the Browning, in my opinion.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's usually the Extractor.
But it can also be the Cartridge Guide alone or along with the Extractor.

The Cartridge Guide has 2 legs at the front of it that you can see when you open the bolt all the way and look down into the action.
Those legs are the Ejector. They are what the upper rim of the case strikes as the bolt is pushed to the rear upon firing or manually.

If those legs get worn or damaged, the spent round won't always pivot off of the bolt face in the direction and speed needed to clear the ejection port.
Add to that a worn Extractor that may be interfering as it's supposed to be the lower pivot for the case to kick off of the bolt face and you can get stove pipe jams.
Sometimes cases that don't clear can get crushed end to end along with a new round partially chambered as well.

Some aftermarket parts work just fine as drop in's. Some need some ( very little) touch up to smooth mfg'ring edges.

Most of the guns could use a good cleaning as well.
The guns are made for HS ammo but usually work just fine w/ Std Vel too.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good tips. I thank you all.

I get the cleaning tip. I have been on the end of somebody telling me a gun was “cleaned” and dismantling the thing to find filth everywhere it shouldn’t be. This gun was dismantled, by me, and the bits scrubbed, lubed and reassembled. Which, it didn’t need-it was my Father’s, a guy who taught every nuance of rifle craft to Marines over 22 years of active duty. He was anal about gun cleaning. A few of the various springs in the gun look aged (they are old) and there are no replacement parts in the gun, it is as Remington sold it 76 years ago.

This is a recent phenomenon. I don’t remember this happening when we were kids shooting with my Dad.

I, too, find the 241 to be much superior to the Browning SA 22. The 241 isn’t as accurate as my 581, or, my 552, but, it is accurate enough. “Minute of Orange” dad used to say. A takedown design is always at a disadvantage in that regard.

I will look into your suggestions at the bench, when time allows. Perhaps sooner, as the kid is pestering me to get it 100%.

Thanks again.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I couldn’t find anything amiss:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I got my toothbrush out, cleaned the extractor spring and the area the extractor sits in out, examined the extractor ends, which, had visible serrations on either side of the legs, cleaned the pocket the extractor spring rides in, lubed everything with a few drops of Breakfree, scratched my head, put it together, and put it away. Son watched me in the garage, hopeful that his gun will be a runner at the range next time.

It is a handsome little gun.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Try standard velocity ammo if you can find it. Some of these older guns work much better without the 'zing' factor.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by prairie ghost
Try standard velocity ammo if you can find it. Some of these older guns work much better without the 'zing' factor.

I was aware of that. HOWEVER, due to circumstances of friends who are no longer here, I have about 10,000 rounds of the other stuff on hand. Looking at the few places I shop, you can buy the HV stuff all day, standard velocity is tougher to come by, and I would have to spend money.

I did give all the Winchester Wildcats away, stuff was filthy in the autoloaders.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hyper velocity 22LRs often use lighter bullets to increase speed, but with a different impulse on the bolt. You may need to buy a box of ammo that works in the Remington and a different rifle to use the inherited ammo.
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.