May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Tom Tritschler, 2 invisible), 748 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,618
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Also make sure that the ammo isn't cold.

I had CCI Mini Mags not function well in 20-30 degree weather and leaving the magazines in my pocket until right before I shot the gun solved the problem

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, good points. My range is heated, so, cold weather isn’t a factor. The last batch of ammunition through the old girl was indeed CCI mini mag solid points, I have a few thousand rounds of that in the orange plastic boxes. The last box of CCI ammunition I bought was a fifty round pack of some stuff that was hollow point, with silver cases, that I shot a squirrel head on with, and it literally blew him up, rendering a nice, fat, boar unfit for the table. This was about 45 seasons ago, and a few years back,while digging in my stuff, I found the box, blue plastic, with 50 rounds, missing one bullet. Never shot another round.
The magazine on the 241 is tubular, and in the stock. If it is cold out, the ammunition will be cold, too. The 581 has a clip, but, is a lefty gun, bought when I still fit that profile. I’m right handed, today. Not by choice, you understand, by circumstance.
The 552 Remington semi auto is the bomb, eats anything, and is just as accurate as the 581. I have to reverse the safety back to right hand use, but, that gun with the deflector on the side was pretty left hand friendly. In my little rimfire world, it is the standard by which all others are judged. I preferred using shorts for hunting, and haunted garage sales as a kid, buying long and short ammunition that nobody wanted, to feed to the 552. My friends all owned guns that only used LR, and were perpetually short, while I was swimming in several different types. I was the first kid to get glasses in the neighborhood (3rd grade) and the first kid to buy a scope, a Weaver K4 1”, that my Dad recommended. His guns all had 1.5-4 power optics, but, that was more than tween me could afford. The K4 is still there. I remember a sunny afternoon at an outdoor range, with a few friends and their 22s, when Dad sat down with that setup and shot a ten yard group that you could cover with a dime at the 50 yard mark.I lost most of my interest in his 241, at that point.
My kid loves that 241. His only connection to Grandpa, who died when he was three, are some of his things that were left to him, and various pictures of him. My interest, at this point, is seeing it run trouble free, so the kid and I have some fun with it.
They, my Dad and my boy, would have really clicked about now.

Wasn’t to be.

Thanks.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: craigd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ted,
I'm sorry your son lost his Grandpa and your Dad didn't have a chance to see his grandson grow up. My dad said one grandbaby was worth three of his own children.
Mike

2 members like this: craigd, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Spent about a half hour putting ammunition down range with the old gun today. No improvement that I could tell, it is very infrequent however. I went by myself to avoid explaining to the boy why his old man didn’t hit it out of the park the first try.

Jack first has new ejectors and springs for the gun. I’m going to give that a try.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

I guess 70 years of shooting .22s and owning dozens of .22 rifles doesn't educate me in "stovepipe". Yes, I have read the entire thread. Please explain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

eightbore, I think most any 22LRs, and particularly autoloaders can have all manner of jams. The picture in my mind is the bolt partly closed on a spent shell, sticking out of the ejection port?

Ted, just a thought, but has the edge of the chamber picked up dry firing damage. Sorry if it's already been gone over, but that could throw off cycle timing enough to affect reliability that the rifle once had. Good luck with it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Stovepipe jam:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Craig, way back at the beginning, I mentioned that a cartridge drops right in and right back out of the chamber, indicating the burr wasn’t an issue that I could tell. Good tip, but, at the range a fellow told me a 241 wasn’t affected by dry firing, first time I ever heard that. Out of habit, I can’t see myself starting to dry fire the gun, or, any .22 rimfire gun. I could probably add 5mm rim fire to that as well, but, no longer own one or any ammunition for it.

Thanks for the tip. I’m going to order a few parts, tonight.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey Ted, yup, way back on your first post. Worthy project, thanks for the updates.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

20-30 deg F is not cold- I'm calling BS. Some of these old semi-auto guns just like a particular brand of ammo which may or may not be available in this day and time. What did Grand Pa shoot? Suspect whatever was on the shelf but most likely standard velocity ammo. You may need to buy various brands and try them- they are available online- or maybe get a GS to make you a slightly stronger spring to accommodate for the HV ammo. Save the CCI for the manual extractor and/or modern guns. That said maybe some worn parts if shot 10's of thousands of rounds. I would love to know exactly how many rounds of .22 's I have shot. You may be on the right track with some parts exchange.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For what it is worth, I’m pretty sure I noted my range is heated. Someone else had a problem with cold .22 ammunition.

Best,
Ted

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.