March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (KY Jon, AZMike, Karl Graebner, Jason Dubois, GeorgeGibbs505, 1 invisible), 866 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1916XE Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

This thread will be multi-faceted, so bear with me on these subjects.

Ithaca shotgun subject gun is a Grade 2 1910 Flues with 2 7/8 inch chambers -excellent condition -90% case color remaining..

In the mid-1920s, AH Fox and LC Smith (Hunter Arms) responded to
John Olin's development of Super X 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells by offering the HE Super Fox and Smith Long Range waterfowl 3 inch guns. Later the Fox Sterlingworth Waterfowl with HE grade barrels.
Parker Bros. also offered early their 2 7/8 inch chambering in all their grades. (Parker's research for their shotguns recommended 2 7/8 in chambers to best handle progressive powder in 3 in shells.)
A recent thread in the Ithaca Owners site was very conservative in recommended loadings for the fluid steel Krupp barrels in another 1910 2 7/8 in chambered Flues shotgun.
I do not fully accept this. Only 14 years between this Ithaca gun and the emergence of the Smith and Fox heavy 3 in waterfowl guns. Since both Parker and Ithaca made the guns for (2 7/8 in) 3inch shells, one would think they could handle at least lead shot in the 3 in shells of the the 1920s. Maybe even the Winchester lead shot high brass 3 in shells of the 70s-80s-and 90s. NOT a steady diet of them, but occasional turkey or goose hunts.

Sherman Bell-Double Gun Journal- did amazing experiments with damascus twist steel barrels and progressive smokeless-so why not Krupp steel barrels in an Ithaca?
Open for reasoned logical comment.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Barrels, if in good condition, should be capable of dealing with more stout loads, but how stout? The Flues action was not designed for later 3” ammo, with higher pressures and greater velocity. That would be the NID job. It’s the velocity that might be the problem. The wood is 100 plus years old. Period 3” ammo included extra wadding for better patterns. Todays hyper velocity ammo should never be shot in it.

If you reload there are a number of options from Alliant, assuming you can find any, or Hodgdon web site. Blue dot for Alliant would be my first choice, ImR Blue or Longshot from Hodgdon. The Bluedot ends up about 1200 fps at 8,000 psi which should be fine. The modern 1300-1400 hyper loads, with chamber pressures in the 11,000 psi range are not anything I’d want to shoot in it. But your gun, your decision as they say.

1916XE Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Jon.
I was'nt going to put anything really modern through it. More like reduced RST-Boss or 1990s -type
reduced turkey or goose loads.
Winchester-Remington made some dedicated turkey ammunition in the 80s-90s that I have
still on hand. They still work. I have a Super Fox and Smith Long Range for the tough Canadians...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have broken my share of Flues stocks.
Stay away from the heavy loads
Whether your Flues might be the later evolution heavy gun or not.

I have posted here previously images identifying the substantial difference in thickness and weight of the Ithaca Flues 12 gauge shotgun as it neared the end of its product run.

They beat themselves to pieces.

First thing to go will be the top of the stock on the right side, then the web in between the shoulders where the hand pin goes through.
There is no way on a Flues to draw the stock forward to prevent the battering.
I don’t believe the barrels would ever blow, nor the action crack, but I guarantee you will pound the stock to bits.

Out there doing it best I can.
1916XE Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good information to know.
Jay Schacter pretty much agrees that no modern ammunition
faster than 11-1200 FPS.
These 100 yr old guns have no sense of humor about modern pressures in really modern shotgun shells.
I had already decided that this gun will be for turkeys-geese, with ONLY
low pressure ammunition and less than 5-10 shots a year.

It might have a better stock -as this st stock is highly figured, with 90% of its
color case remaining-and it is a 1910 gun. But that means its 113 years old-Krupp steel barrels or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I "play it safe" with my 1929 era L.C. Smith LONGRANGE- ideal grade32" F&F, DT, AE. I only use 2&3/4" Express loads, and for Turkeys, I use some older Federal Premium coppered loads- No. 4 shot-- wish they were still legal for waterfowl. I have decapitated turkeys at up to 60 paces with that Elsie--great set up- I only own 1 Ithaca double, a grade 2E NID 12 bore, 30" choked 3 & 4, DT, EJ-earlier series with the "snail titty " style cocking indicator pins. Never have owned or shot any of the previous series Ithacas, Flues, Minier, Crass, etc. seldom see any Ithacas around here for sale, except the M37 pumpguns. RWTF

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Quarter sawn, straight grain would be the strongest. Fancy curly grain, which has grain going in every direction would not be my first choice. One thing to consider is using larger size shot at low velocity. The down range retained energy for a size four pellet is much greater than a size six pellet. Size does matter.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Worth reviewing
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=609802&page=1

Researcher posted a letter regarding a cracked frame 10g Flues

1916XE Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Over the years, I have managed to corner a representative stable of 3-inch Americana doubles:
An HE Super Fox, a Long Range Smith, Ithaca 2e, and lastly a Parker Bros. gun recently acquired.
Though both early and later-Parker 2 7/8 in guns or Remington-Parkers-are rare. They were offered,
but LC Smith and Fox offered specialty models in that chambering. Later Fox offered their Sterlingworth
waterfowl model using HE frames and barrels. With new regulations and the Depression, the demand slowed considerably
and duck - goose hunters used what they already owned. The Heavy Duck M-12s are a bit newer, and can handle the non-toxic modern shot shells-within reason.
My Ithaca will probably get a restricted diet, avoiding pressures that would be unhealthy.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your Flues Model Ithaca is from long before the introduction of progressive burning smokeless powder, high velocity, 12-gauge 3-inch loads. At the time your Flues was made, the heaviest 12-gauge loads our North American ammunition companies offered were 3 1/2 drams of bulk smokeless powder or 28-grains of dense smokeless powder, such as Infallible or Ballistite, pushing 1 1/4 ounce of shot. Those loads could be had in 2 3/4-inch or longer shells. As I've stated many times, those longer shells offered more/better wadding.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From the 1926 introduction of the NID, Ithaca promoted their 10-gauge NID Super-10 as their answer to the Super-Fox and the Long-Range --

In 1932 Ithaca introduced their Magnum-10 built on the longer/heavier NID magnum frame.

Later, Ithaca dropped the standard-frame Super-10 and began offering a Magnum-12 built on the magnum-frame.

One of these magnum-frame NID 12-gauge 3-inch guns is what you need as an Ithaca companion to a Super-Fox and a Long-Range.

Last edited by Researcher; 05/07/23 12:53 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.