May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Birdog, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 939 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,485
Posts545,291
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had something of a revelation occur today (the tequila therapy afterwards probably helped too), but I am so grateful that I finally got the chance to buy a good target gun to shoot sporting clays a year or so ago (& even a left-handed one that really & truly fits me), because if I hadn't, I wouldn't ever have gotten the chance to fully compare the two worlds. They are simply that different. Game guns are beyond wonderful; there's nothing like them for doing the job that they were designed to do, but....they simply suck as target guns. Strong language, I know, but they really do. If nothing else, guns were and are "tools" first and foremost, and you really should have the right "tool" for the job at hand. There are lots of guns out there that are very-good compromises, and they can serve well-enough in many arenas, (and some are even pretty great examples), but.... if you haven't had the chance to make that truly deep-comparison you'll never really know what you have been missing. You can be happy with said compromises, believe me (as I've owned several over the years) but you'll have deprived yourself of one of the great pleasures in this shooting life by not having the exact tool you really need for the job at hand.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/02/23 08:39 PM.
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Always a fan of more guns.

It really depends on what you are planning to do with it.
Many retirees at my club shoot decent volumes year round.
That destroys game guns. Especially old, game guns.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What were game guns designed to shoot? A thousand to two thousand rounds a year, maybe. A modest shooter can do that in a month or two. And then keep right on doing it. In two years he will have shot a decade worth of shells through a true game gun. Clay target guns can handle the high volume of shooting with little noticeable wear.

There is only one thing to do and that is have multiple game guns and rotate their use to even out their wear. Ten or twenty ought to do it. To reduce wear on my hammer guns I bought 8-10 to shoot. Small gauges about the same, and box locks as well. Don’t forget pump guns, I didn’t. I have a rack of semi autos as well but could not tell you the last year I shot more than one of them. But had I limited myself to just one gun of any type it would have gotten an excessive amount of wear and tear. I even have gotten into the habit of shooting them from top of the rack to the bottom of the rack so they all get used, cleaned and maintained regularly. Unless it is too frail to shoot safely, every gun I own gets shot. Perhaps only one or two hundred rounds a year but the all get to play. The high grades as well as the plain ones. I don’t discriminate based on looks, age or beauty.

2 members like this: builder, eightbore
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I became more interested in game guns (about 1990) I found it nearly impossible to continue shooting my target guns at Intl Skeet and SC while trying to master game guns. So I sold my target guns and hired a first class coach to learn to shoot the game guns. It took a couple years , as I had to 'unlearn' what worked for targets and learn something new. It was worth the effort.

Interesting to see you going in the other direction. Good luck!

C Man
Life is short
Quit your job.
Turn off the TV.
Go outside and play.
Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuckerman: I'd like to think that with a little practice, you can adapt to either. As far as "mastery" goes, I'm not holding out much hope at this point, but... proficiency shouldn't be too-much to ask. Different horses for different courses!

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/02/23 10:55 PM.
1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

Game guns? Target guns? I don't get it. What guns are you referring to? I can see not using a single barrel BT-99 to hunt birds with. But I would think nothing about using my Citori for skeet, clays or pheasant hunting. Same with my Model 21. Same with a Model 12, a Wingmaster or many other guns. Could you be a bit more specific? I'm lost. Thanks.

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jimmy: Completely understandable. Most shotguns made in this country (& the others) for the last 100 years or so were made to do a number of jobs well because many (if not most) of the people who bought and used them could only really justify owning one shotgun. A Model 12 Winchester, for example, could and can reasonably be used for waterfowl, upland game, and even for deer (with the proper ammunition). In the world I grew-up in (rural Pennsylvania in the 1960s) this was simply how most folks owned and used their shotguns.

In the more "fine" gun world, however, a gun will (in many cases) be hand-made to do a very specific task. "Game" guns are usually built specifically for upland game applications and can be described by saying that they are much-lighter than more-conventional shotguns and are designed to be "carried alot and shot fairly infrequently". Target guns are (conversely) usually much heavier than "normal" and are designed to be carried over smaller distances and shot with much more frequency. Both work very well for their specifically intended use and both generally do not compromise well.

My 1905 W. Richards 16-gauge weighs 5lbs14 and shoots 2 1/2-inch English shells. It is a game gun, I don't use it for anything else.

My SKB sporting clays 12-gauge weighs over 9 lbs loaded. It has very long barrels and a highly-adjustable stock. It is a target gun, I don't take it hunting.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 07/03/23 01:11 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot guns that vary from sub-5 lb. .410 doubles to a 9.4 lb. 12 ga. HE Fox, to my big, heavy MX8 P-gun. I can, with some adjustment to my shooting style, shoot them all acceptably. It is impossible for me to shoot the vastly differing weight and MOI guns with the same shooting style. My heavier guns take a more deliberate shooting style. The little featherweights require more of a snap-shooting style, where I begin to track a bird with the muzzles before ever mounting, and during the mount, and then when the butt seats in my shoulder pocket the trigger breaks immediately thereafter.

When I shot a lot of NSCA tournaments I enjoyed the sub-gauge events as well as the Main. But, since I shot them all pre-mounted I would shoot a few practice targets with each different gun prior to shooting for score. This allowed "muscle memory" to happen. If I didn't do that, the first couple stations would be disastrous.

The truism, "Beware the man with one gun." is 100% correct, but with practice, multiple guns can be shot very well, IMO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Jimmy: Completely understandable. Most shotguns made in this country (& the others) for the last 100 years or so were made to do a number of jobs well because many (if not most) of the people who bought and used them could only really justify owning one shotgun. A Model 12 Winchester, for example, could and can reasonably be used for waterfowl, upland game, and even for deer (with the proper ammunition). In the world I grew-up in (rural Pennsylvania in the 1960s) this was simply how most folks owned and used their shotguns.

In the more "fine" gun world, however, a gun will (in many cases) be hand-made to do a very specific task. "Game" guns are usually built specifically for upland game applications and can be described by saying that they are much-lighter than more-conventional shotguns and are designed to be "carried alot and shot fairly infrequently". Target guns are (conversely) usually much heavier than "normal" and are designed to be carried over smaller distances and shot with much more frequency. Both work very well for their specifically intended use and both generally do not compromise well.

My 1905 W. Richards 16-gauge weighs 5lbs14 and shoots 2 1/2-inch English shells. It is a game gun, I don't use it for anything else.

My SKB sporting clays 12-gauge weighs over 9 lbs loaded. It has very long barrels and a highly-adjustable stock. It is a target gun, I don't take it hunting.
I see your point. Gotcha!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

very interesting and timely question for me. I had been switching through a few different game guns and somehow got sloppy with my gun mount and started getting recoil averse. I am a sxs guy, so I bought a big heavy gun to help absorb recoil. I shoot it at one of my local clubs and suck, badly. I play around with the pitch and try it at a different course and I am in the high 80 low 90 %. Back to the original course, still mediocre. What is the difference? Well the original course is set up with the majority of shots quick small window shots. The second course has more variety but also more targets are longer, can be seen for a time before shot. So I had been thinking a sporting course can actually be game gun friendly.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.