Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#632447 07/03/23 04:18 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was just reading one of the threads about target guns vs. game guns and agree wholeheartedly with the posts. I am contemplating acquiring a 12 bore clays O/U, as I have been shooting most of my game guns on a rotating basis for the last 5-6 years with varying results. I bought a Guerini Revenant 20 ga. 3 years ago to use specifically on clays, as I am not a competition shooter and it is very comfortable to shoot 6-8 boxes through once or twice a week and honestly, seems to shatter birds as well as all my fellow shooters, who all shoot 12 gauges. My question is this; I would like to get a 12 gauge clays O/U that will stand up to the weekly pounding of 200 rounds, but I don't know what gun to buy; there is such a myriad of brands and models that seem to be out there, it is very difficult to know which are the most durable and shootable. Disregarding price( and I know you can go as high as the moon), what makes or models stand out with superior quality, shootability, durability and value to you? Thanks, Sandlapper

Kip Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My vote would go to Perazzi or Kolar, with both of them being Boss-action guns. They also both have large competition-oriented dealer and service networks in the US.

2 members like this: John Roberts, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

You already have the Revenant 20.
Look at the Richard Faulds model M. Fixed chokes, ready for FITASC.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

My vote is Perazzi. I've owned two MX8s. Still own one. Built like a tank but, somehow, handles beautifully. And the trigger ........ ooooh, the trigger. Perazzi triggers are as good as some good rifle triggers.

Bought mine used. Old one, imported by Winchester. They run forever.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just shoot your CG 20 with 7/8 oz loads. Lots of guys who handload shoot 7/8 and they break clays just fine. Fortunately it seems 7/8 factory loads are more available now than ever. Rio and Cleaver sell them. If you have to have a 12 CG is fine but I prefer Perazzi with fixed M/IM. Preowned is the way to go

1 member likes this: BrentD, Prof
Sidelock
Sidelock

In no particular order: Beretta, Perazzi, Browning/Miroku, CG, Kolar, Krieghoff, Zoli, Blaser. All are proven for durability and "shootability." All have won at the highest level of shooting sports. Superior quality seems synonymous with durability in a target gun, unless you view quality as flashy wood and engraving. Value is subjective: For some a $2000 Miroku represents a good value, for others a $15,000 Perazzi makes economic sense. In my opinion, all of these guns meet your criteria, but they have significant differences in handling. You won't go wrong with another CG or similar Italian maker if that style already works for you.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've looked at MX8 Perazzis, Zoli Z Specials, but am not familiar with Kolar. I like the detachable triggers and I'm a wood guy. What models of these makes would be a good buy pre-owned?? Thanks for everyone's input. Sandlapper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by sandlapper
I've looked at MX8 Perazzis, Zoli Z Specials, but am not familiar with Kolar. I like the detachable triggers and I'm a wood guy. What models of these makes would be a good buy pre-owned?? Thanks for everyone's input. Sandlapper
With that in mind, I'd look for a pre-owned Zoli Z-Sport or the older Zoli Kronos model, which is essentially the same gun. Zoli tends to put more emphasis on grain flow in their stocks than figure and contrast, but you can occasionally find one with upgraded wood. I really like Perazzis, but a used Zoli can be bought for half to a third of the price of a used MX8 in comparable condition (Perazzi comes with a status tax). Rich Cole and Carlson Sporting Arms are good places to contact in your search. Good luck!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can buy a nice used Citori for under $2000.00. Screw in the Cyl. or Imp. Cyl chokes and along with a nice 1 1/8 oz. load, a KICKEEZ pad and you'll be kickin' those other guys butts in no time. And you'll easily be good for 30-40,000 rounds. Good luck.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 07/04/23 08:15 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For a first dedicated clays gun I always recommend the older Beretta 682 wide body guns. That would be pre-92 guns. I still have a couple of those and they are way durable. They can often be found with factory screw-ins as well and that is a definite plus Even though I have a bunch of Perazzis they come a myriad of configurations and have often been done unto by fadists and you never know what some dolt may have done if you don't know what to look for.
Hoping to find the perfect gun without trying as many as possible and not knowing what constitutes a proper fit for you is a quest guaranteed to be expensive.

Good luck

Dr. WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.