May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jimmy W, graybeardtmm3, KY Jon, eeb, gil russell, David Williamson), 272 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,554
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#632657 07/08/23 08:47 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello to everyone. I don't think I have posted here before but sometimes do on the general forum. Would be truly grateful for some help.
I need to replace the stock on my Drilling. The local (Bangladesh) gunsmiths and their craftsmen will turn out a reasonable stock in short order, but it is the dimensions that I require. My old stock has disappeared after the gunsmith fitted a stock of standard sxs dimensions i.e. 1 5/8” x 2 1/4” x 14”. But while I managed to zero the Rifle the shotgun barrels shot a foot high at 25 yards. No amount of increasing the drop at heel and comb would change the situation. A gun shop in Italy, where I was visiting, very kindly measured a couple of drillings for me. They were 1 5/8” at comb, 2 3/4” at heel. My drilling had a stock resembling a Greener rational stock originally. It is a Greifelt of Suhl 16x16x8x57JR with 25 inch barrels. It was a dead ringer for one that used to be on the Hallowell site.

Any advice, info, dimensions of your Drilling stocks would be much appreciated. Thank you.

All the best

Skeeterbd

Sidelock
Sidelock

A foot high at 25 yards is nothing to think much about. If you can see the rifle sights with the 1 5/8 X 2 1/4, I would think the stock is about perfect for the shotgun barrels. The pheasant is roughly a foot above the barrels in normal shooting. My Sauer driller has stock dimensions very similar to yours, and I would not change anything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Skeeterbd
A drilling should be stocked like a shotgun, it is a shotgun. This just means you may have to forget about a "cheek weld" when shooting the rifle. I shoot 4 different drillings and all the stock measurements differ some. I agree with eightbore, try it on moving targets, rather than a "pattern board"'
Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to Eightbore and Der Ami for your interest on my request for info vis a vis my drilling restock.

I did try it on driven and flushed game birds (red jungle fowl in my case) and missed handsomely all the way through. Reverted to the pattern plate and actually it was the bottom edge of the pattern which was a foot high. I have been a national champion at skeet (hence skeeterbd) and have competed at the Asian level. I pride myself on shooting clay targets (international skeet) but fully accept this can mean zero on game. My other guns help me harvest game but this thing eventually required me to shoot 16 shots at the same repeatedly flushed bird before the poor thing was wounded badly enough for my dog to grab it (scrub jungle didn’t help the dog!). I kept feathering it and so pursued it until bagged.

Essentially, I believe (from reading about) that the underslung rifle barrel does make the shotgun barrels too stiff and they shoot high. The stock apparently needs to be configured to give enough flex to let the shotgun barrels shoot more on target. I am no expert on the physics or mechanics involved. One can always zero the rifle barrel later.

I would truly be grateful for the stock measurements of any Drillings you may have.

Thank you again for your interest.

All the best

Skeeterbd

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually would use the rifle sights to test. Shoot from a rest at 25 yards with the rifle sights at their lowest setting. Shoot 3 rifle shots at a a spot in the center of the patterning paper, then carefully aim a couple of shot loads at the same point. If they coincide, then the barrels, rib and sight plane are roughly consistent. If the shotgun barrels are shooting much higher than the rifle, then your rifle barrel and shotgun barrels aren't regulated vertically. There is a lot of infoo and discussion about double rifle regulation, but strangely enough I have never seen a discussion of drilling regulation, which should be a similar issue.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.