April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (welder, bigblock, battle, eeb), 944 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PALUNC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A couple of weeks ago I picked up an Orvis /Arrieta upland 410. As typical with most Orvis guns it has short barrels and open chokes. It has 27" barrels choked Cyl. and Imp. Cyl.
I'll be shooting a smorgasbord of 2 1/2" shells , some AA's #9, some 8's and some 7 1/2.
II will be at my regular sporting course and will restrict myself to only stations I feel the little gun will be sufficient.
Any advice before I waste about $80 in ammo?

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Sounds like a perfect skeet gun, too. Only advice? Break 'em all dude and have fun!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on your shooting style, “Give them a little more lead than you would typically.”
I find presentations that you might hit the rear of the target with some guns, become misses with the .410

They are fast to start, and fast to stop, so you have to be aggressive. Including your follow thru.

But if you’re just going to shoot, pre-mounted and sustained lead, just try to put the pattern on the front edge of the target.

Shooting .410 consistently is a demanding mistress.

Have fun with your new shotgun.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Funny, on crossing targets I cut my lead back to keep from shooting in front of the bird. I rarely shoot behind and more often shoot in front. But I have shot a lot of .410 and do not find the lighter gun weight to be a problem. I shoot them aggressively and try to not only get my target line figured out in advance but also exactly where I am going to shoot the bird. Sometimes people think I am too fast but I find riding a bird with a .410 to be very likely to end up in misses. Short swings, quick and decisive shoots works best for me. Do not over think it, do not measure your leads. Be more Churchill type instinctive shooting style, but not so much a true swing through shooter. When the sight picture looks right just pull the trigger instead of checking, verifying and making it too complicated. You most likely will find the slower velocity shells will give you tighter patterns, but the faster one give you more smoke. Have fun, .410's are a blast.

2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

KY Jon's shooting style with .410s mirrors mine. Impossible for me to shoot high averages on doves with one if I don't alter my style from the bigger guns. I begin to track the dove with the muzzle of the .410 at low gun and continue as the mount begins, then when the butt settles into my shoulder pocket I almost instantly trigger the gun. It works to prevent me from shooting too far ahead of a bird with the light, quick guns. My experience is the opposite of CZ's, concerning lead.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

The way to shoot a 410 successfully is to forget it's a 410.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
The way to shoot a 410 successfully is to forget it's a 410.

I totally disagree. You cannot shoot game birds with a .410 the same as you can a 12 or 16. Aside from the mechanics of the MOI and weight, the payload will not kill at the reaches of a 12 , 16 or even a 20. Forget it's a .410? That's a recipe for disaster, IMO.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

While all that may be true, Stan... he's shooting clays.

The decision to shoot a 410 and actually shooting the 410 are two different things.

One must learn the dynamics of the gun, but trying to be extra careful and adjusting leads (my all time favorite is 'front edge of the target') just fouls up everything you've been practicing.

Forget the cartridge.... just shoot. It's a shotgun.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

33 yards is about my hard and fast limit for Dove. Before I shoot the first Dove, I place several markers at 30 years. They can be as simple as weeds cut for the purpose, or decoys placed in plain sight. Point is I know what lead I need for an incoming or crossing Dove at 30 yards, it is just harder to know what 30 yards is, depending on the field and background. I take that variable out when I can. I mostly shoot 1/2 ounce loads, running 1250 fps. I can load hotter, faster if you want, but find hotter does not pattern as well most times. Later season Doves are much harder to kill, being fully feather out and all mature birds. For those, if I take a .410, I only use very full chokes with 1300+fps loads, with 7 shot and try to take 25 yard shots when I can.

I am not Wayne Mayes, the greatest .410 Skeet shooter ever. 200 100X 100’s. But out to 30-33 yards I can hold my own with all but a few shooters. Most shooter are bad a range estimation. Many a bird hit at 30 yards is claimed at 40 or 50 plus. And where a bird lands is not a great way to figure out what range it was hit at. I have killed Dove at an honest 30 yards, which were closer to 50 or even 60 when recovered. Moment will carry a dead bird a long ways, if it is under a head of steam and has some height. But no .410 will kill Dove at 50-60 yards.

I shoot .410’s for Sporting Clays all the time. 7- 8,000 birds in the last year. I only struggle on the birds much greater than 40 yards, but am about 50:50 between 30 and 40. I don’t know I would do substantially better with a 12. For sporting clays last year my best score was 91 and worst score was 73 with my .410. I did have one 49X50 but that was a lot of luck. Mostly I am in the low to mid 80’s.

Most sporting clays ranges nearby are in wooded areas and the shots have more small windows than long shots. A few do use a tower but mostly I can find a quick window to give me a decent opportunity. I find too many incomes targets to not be a real challenge on a lot of layouts. To me incomers are gimme birds. You can smoke any incomes, even with a .410. Being aggressive helps with targets like teal, or targets with small windows. I’ll never run a hundred straight, with a .410 at Sporting Clays, but I do enjoy the heck out of shooting it. And I get 800 loadsto the bag of shot.

3 members like this: David Williamson, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another thing. A 1200 fps load in a 12 gauge, at 21 yards l, has about a 30” pattern with Skeet chokes. With a .410, skeet choke the pattern is a lot smaller. I figure nearer to 18-20” of usable pattern, 24” tops. So 15” center to edge versus 10-12” center to edge for the .410. If I shoot the front edge off a bird with a 12 I will be in front of it with a .410. I cut my leads back almost a foot on crossers. A half a foot at a minimum. But I shoot the bird before the center stake and have a gun which is moving. If I spot shoot it m, I use more lead because I have a dead gun. You can shoot doubles on 3,4,5 with a dead gun, never moving it, if you practice. Pick the right spot, never move the gun, and pull the trigger twice as quickly as you can. It’s timing and having the right sight picture. You need to shoot the .410 just like the 12 mentally, but be more aggressive, less deliberate and with finer mechanics and slightly shorter leads.

2 members like this: Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.