April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hugh Lomas, barrel browner, Ducks Rx, Roundsworth, LGF, graybeardtmm3), 450 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,478
Posts545,199
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#633266 07/23/23 03:38 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have just watched a new YouTube video where Simon Reinhold of Holts shows off to Johnny of TGS Outdoors his favourite SxS for clay shooting.

He just won the British Side by Side championship with it!

It is a sleeved W. J. Jeffrey hammer 12 bore 3” pigeon gun circa 1910. It is an early sleeving job with SLEEVED stamped on the sides of the barrels as the Proof house then insisted.

It makes me think more kindly of my sleeved guns. I bought an Edwinson Green 2 3/4” BLE 12 bore SLEEVED by Westley Richards with a view to having it as a spare on days when our local clay ground can only offer 70mm shells.

My favourite Edwinson Green BLE has 2 1/2” chambers. I have been meaning to get the SLEEVED gun altered for length and cast to match it (they are both 28” barrels) and must get round to it.

Last edited by Parabola; 07/23/23 03:40 PM.
2 members like this: DGM, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sleeved English guns are the best deal in the game. At least as far as I'm concerned.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

4 members like this: battle, Geo. Newbern, Hammergun, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Many claim sleeved guns do not feel like they did before being sleeved. Duh. Barrels become lighter as they get honed to death. By the time they get sleeved they have become so thin that they are borderline safe to even shoot and are much lighter in the barrels than they started out in life. Yes sleeving does change things but not as much as many think. I only have a few sleeved guns but find them all to be acceptable. I never knew what they felt like before, so can only go by their current feel.

I am more sad for the loss of the lovely Damascus beauty than a change in barrel weight of 2-4-6 ounces. If it really bothers you have the gun rebalanced to suit. A six pound, seven pound and eight pound gun can all be balanced on the hinge pin or most other points if you like, but will still work with the feel between the hands as they say. The heavier guns might take a bit more effort to swing but also will be less prone to being stopped like many ultra lights guns. They can be smoother but slightly slower. I have several thin barreled guns I wish I could get sleeved or were already sleeved. Just born on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

2 members like this: CJF, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sleeved guns give me the opportunity to afford guns I wouldn't normally come close to being able to buy.

And I saw that video too.

Last edited by Chantry; 07/23/23 06:33 PM.

I have become addicted to English hammered shotguns to the detriment of my wallet.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Chantry
Sleeved guns give me the opportunity to afford guns I wouldn't normally come close to being able to buy.

I could not agree more.

There are good sleeving jobs out there and some ugly bad one’s too. I have owned three sleeved guns over the years, I still have two of them.

Last edited by old colonel; 07/25/23 08:41 PM. Reason: Spelling

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
I am more sad for the loss of the lovely Damascus beauty than a change in barrel weight of 2-4-6 ounces. If it really bothers you have the gun rebalanced to suit. A six pound, seven pound and eight pound gun can all be balanced on the hinge pin or most other points if you like, but will still work with the feel between the hands as they say. The heavier guns might take a bit more effort to swing but also will be less prone to being stopped like many ultra lights guns. They can be smoother but slightly slower. I have several thin barreled guns I wish I could get sleeved or were already sleeved. Just born on the wrong side of the Atlantic.

Amen.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Saw the video. I have the exact same gun, bearing Jefferey's name, but not sleeved and with original Damascus barrels nitro proofed to 2 3/4". Jefferey never made the gun and it is in fact an example made by the Midland Gun Co. in Birmingham and based on a model they called the 'Sudden Death' catalogue number 8350. Lagopus.....

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

sleeving is a good way to save a fine old gun from the scrap yard and being turned into lawnmower blades.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

My 80 year old neighbour uses a pair of Wm. Evans boxlocks in 12 bore. He had them sleeved about 20 years ago, and also chose 28" barrels rather than the original unfashionable 30" barrels. He also specified 2.75" chambers. They work a treat and he shows up all the lads with their funny over-under thingies.

So he is now set up perfectly for the next 20 years, even if the mooted ban on lead shot does get imposed here in the UK...

HB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
Originally Posted by Chantry

I could not agree mor.

There are good sleeving jobs out there and some ugly bad one’s too. I have owned three sleeved guns over the years, I still have two of them.

I had the chance to buy (at an attractive price) a Parker DHE 12 sleeved by Westley Richards, sadly not there best work.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.