May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guy Ave, cable, Warren A, 1 invisible), 437 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,479
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#633876 08/07/23 10:36 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Good morning Gentlemen

I hope you are well during these dog days.
I had a question about having a second barrel made for a single shot rifle. The rifle and action are both blackpowder proofed. Is it possible to have a smokeless cartridge barrel made and use it on this action? I was planning on a smaller caliber, but is the limitng factor case pressure or bolt thrust?
The current caliber is 9.3x72r

Sidelock
Sidelock

journeymen,
Note that 9.3x72R rifles in good shape are often used with modern commercial ammo or equivalent "nitro for black" handloads, even if proofed for black powder. It is likely that you can have a new barrel made but given the cost and the fact that black powder proofed 9.3x72Rs are still often used with appropriate Nfb handloads, I wouldn't recommend it. My cousin has taken whitetail with his BP proofed rifle, which is more than likely very much like yours, if yours is also one of the ubiquitous small frame underlever, single locking lug tip up rifles. They are a lot of fun and very useful if used as originally intended.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Need more data
What single shot rifle?
German, Brit, French?
What is the current caliber?
Thanks
Mike

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here is a link to the original thread:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619740#Post619740

Rifle a German made single shot roux action. Caliber 9.3x72r

Sidelock
Sidelock

It is a fair guess that it would be very expensive to fit a barrel that looks and functions decently, and your rifle might likely be somewhere else for a couple or many years. Have you thought of putting the money towards another classic or antique single shot, probably a pretty nice one, and enjoy both of them?

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMHO if one wants a gun, rifle or shotgun, with two fitted barrels, and does not possess the skills to fit the barrels themselves, one should buy a gun that already has such. Paying for first class work to have another barrel fitted is prohibitive, and honestly, it's hard to find craftsmen that truly have the ability. I have been badly disappointed in this by gunsmiths whose abilities did not match their reputations.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Mark II, Hoot4570
Sidelock
Sidelock

journeyman,
What is it about your rifle that you are concerned about? It seems to be in useable condition for an antique rifle of the type. They were made in smaller calibers from 5.6x35R Vierling to 9.3x72R. with a good many in 8.15X46R and 9.3 X72R. I have also seen them in 8x57R/360 and 8X58R S&S. The action type is not suitable for more powerful cartridges such as 8x57IR, 7X57R or 9.3X74R. The rifle is perfectly capable of taking Whitetail with a careful shot at a reasonable distance. It is also a fun little rifle and could last the rest of your life and be passed on to your heirs. I noticed in your other thread about this rifle that you have been shooting S&B ammo. The fired cases from this ammo are easily reloadable and depending on the groove diameter, you may very well be able to use inexpensive cast bullets commercially available. If it were mine, I would just use it as is.
Mike

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Der Ami
journeyman,
What is it about your rifle that you are concerned about? It seems to be in useable condition for an antique rifle of the type. They were made in smaller calibers from 5.6x35R Vierling to 9.3x72R. with a good many in 8.15X46R and 9.3 X72R. I have also seen them in 8x57R/360 and 8X58R S&S. The action type is not suitable for more powerful cartridges such as 8x57IR, 7X57R or 9.3X74R. The rifle is perfectly capable of taking Whitetail with a careful shot at a reasonable distance. It is also a fun little rifle and could last the rest of your life and be passed on to your heirs. I noticed in your other thread about this rifle that you have been shooting S&B ammo. The fired cases from this ammo are easily reloadable and depending on the groove diameter, you may very well be able to use inexpensive cast bullets commercially available. If it were mine, I would just use it as is.
Mike

The rifle itself is fine and i am happy with it. The thing i'm curious about is bolt thrust/ case pressure for a new barrel in an old action. I know its possible on paper and was wondering if there were any guidelines on doing so

@stanton hills. I am sorry to hear about your negative experience, Its hard enough to find a local smith to work on common guns let alone an Gunsmith who can work on these fine guns

I would also like to apologize for my delayed response work on the clock and at home has been keeping me tied up

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.