April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (FallCreekFan, Argo44, FlyChamps, earlyriser, DaveB, Chad Linder), 1,139 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If you research English guns I believe you will find that most older 28 gauge guns have short barrels and short stock dimensions because most were built for young people or ladies. That is not the case with this lovely little 28 bore built by Henry Hodgson of Ipswich and Bury Saint Edmonds. This gun is out of my personal collection and I've owned it for probably 20 years. I bought it because I'm a Grouse and Woodcock hunter and I love carrying light weight side by side guns. This gun is certainly light at 4 pounds 14 ounces and with the smallest scaled frame I've seen. It is just dainty, however it has nice 28 inch barrels and is balanced perfectly 3/8 inch in front of the hinge pin just the way I like them. The gun has extractors so you won't be chasing hulls around in the leaves while hunting. The gun has 2 3/4 inch chambers but I would bet they were originally 2 1/2 inch although they aren't marked as such. It is proofed for 5/8 ounce loads. I've shot RST 2 1/2 inch shells in it always and they work perfectly. Stock dimensions are 1 1/2 X 2 5/16 X 14 3/8 over the original grooved but. If you need a LOP longer than 14 3/8 it would be a simple matter of adding a nice leather covered pad and you could easily go up to 15 3/8 inches. Cast is neutral. The wood as you can see in the pictures is very nice with great figure and is in great condition. When I bought the gun years ago I had it re-case colored and the barrels, floor plate, and trigger guard blacked. All numbers match, screws are perfect and well timed, and the gun functions exactly as it should. Both bores measure .562 and the right barrel has a constriction of .005 and the left is .010 so perfect for upland birds. This will be a perfect little gun for preserve quail as well as Grouse and Woodcock. Reason to sell is I just have too many Grouse guns and it is time to let someone else enjoy some of them. I have probably fired less than 10 boxes of shells through this gun the entire time I've owned it. Price of this neat little gun is $5000 plus $35 shipping to your FFL. Contact me at esetter5@me.com with any questions you might have.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Fyexmqz.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/Z6ZUTnD.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/jDSwfZm.jpg[/img]

Gerry Addison
2 members like this: 67galaxie, DAM16SXS
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's a VERY pretty gun!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who did the re-color?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I really can't remember. I took the gun to Jack Haugh my gunsmith at the time to be redone and he did the bluing and sent it out to be case colored but I can't remember who he told me he was sending it to. Sadly Jack has passed away so I can't tell you who did it. Sorry, it was almost 20 years ago.

Gerry Addison
Sidelock
Sidelock

Time flys…I remember selling you that gun with a case of 28ga.

1 member likes this: ithaca1
Sidelock
Sidelock

What a great gun!!!!

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sold on Parker website, $12 sent to Dave for allowing me to list here.

Gerry Addison

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.