April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Krag 1902, Hoot4570, Hugh Lomas, drcook, 1 invisible), 821 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#634539 08/24/23 01:20 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

See this auction from 2018
Is this a fair representation as to what a gun like this should bring today?
Is there a grade determinaton for the Excellentia, that seems to be a name used for the model and have many levels of engraving coverage?

W.C. Scott ExcellentiaW.C. Scott Excellentia

Sidelock
Sidelock

This would seem to be a modest price for this gun but not knowing the condition of the barrels leaves a question mark. The subjective description does not provide the information I would need. I have a few other models of Scotts and although hammer guns are priced much higher.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Tamid, any idea as to grading? The one I am looking at is a clone to the one I linked. It has very long lines of text on the tops of both barrels and a Star in gold inlay on the top rib.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tamid
This would seem to be a modest price for this gun but not knowing the condition of the barrels leaves a question mark. The subjective description does not provide the information I would need. I have a few other models of Scotts and although hammer guns are priced much higher.

The fit of the barrels at the breech on this Scott could raise questions as to the barrels origin. Many of these old Scott's were made where the barrels did not have full reach to the top of the action and this one may be OK, it just that I cannot see enough of the action to barrel fit at the top to give full marks. Other than these questions and the barrel's complete condition and it's current proof, it appears from what I can see to be a wonderful specimen that I would like to own if it had not had the chambers length to 2 3/4 inch causing it to be out of even black powder proof. Also as a caution one should never bid (or buy) on guns without seeing photos of the barrel flats and action breech face and its flats. How often have you seen a seller show photos of the action face and flats?

The sellers comment that the barrels are out of black powder proof but the barrels are thick and suitable for low brass( I take to mean USA manufactured low brass shotshells) is a comment that causes a knowledgeable person to question much and produces the opinion that the seller has no understanding or very limited knowledge of the pressures of shotshells.

If this gun was in "excellentia" condition mostly meaning that the barrels are so with much wall thickness, in Nitro proof, and mirror bores then one would expect it to bring much, much more. In my opinion as expressed above the gun sold for much more than its real value as a safe shooter.

I know that my comments are more than what was asked by Mark, but maybe these remarks will help gun neophytes.

Maybe Dustin will comment as he is most current on the values of these delightful old Scotts.

Mark; is your Scott that you referenced Nitro proofed?

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Last edited by bushveld; 08/24/23 04:05 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I guess we will find out this afternoon. Like a dummy. I just went ahead and bought it. I’m gonna go pick it up after work.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark;

I am hoping that you have found and purchased a jewel of a gun.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

About 2.5 to 3k for an Excellentia or equivalent grade in fairly good to excellent condition is about right. Most of these guns will have close to 3” DAH, sometimes more, rarely less than 3” though. A good many will be off the face, and almost all of them will probably require a professional strip and clean. The hook cocking system is very good, but can be finicky if things are gummed up. A lot of these guns are black powder proofed and show signs of being shot with heavy bp loads, if it was used for waterfowling, no telling how many overly stuffed bp loads the thing has digested during its 120+ years of use.
My Scotts are all Bp proofed, I shoot nitro loads in them that are way below the pressure generated by the bp loads that were used in the guns back in their heyday.
Another thing to look closely at when you get the gun in hand is the condition of the stock, look very carefully at the wrist and in the checkering to see if you can detect any repairs through that area. I’ve inspected a lot of old Scotts that have been fractured….more than likely the cause is from using extremely heavy game or pigeon loads in them. Higher grade Scotts usually have very good quality French walnut on them, many times it’s not the woods fault.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a Scott built on this action when I took it apart to clean I found a very high quality fit and finish just beautifully made gun and mine isn't an exelencia.

eeb Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You found a WC Scott in a Gunshop near Blacksburg? Pray tell where?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I’ve been in Wisconsin for the last two weeks. I could’ve found this thing across the entire middle of the country. wink

1 member likes this: eeb
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.