May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
8 members (Der Ami, ClapperZapper, aw1776, 4 invisible), 512 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,433
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#636531 10/18/23 04:46 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fellows, ksauers1 recently posed a question about everyone's opinion of 27" barrelled shotguns, and the conversation made me think about an E. J. Churchill Premiere SxS 12 bore I have, with two sets of 25" barrels with the narrow Churchill ribs. The gun weighs exactly 6 lbs., and balances the same with either barrel set. It is fast handling, as one would expect, but doesn't feel whippy to me. I know Robert Churchill created a lot of controversy when he advocated the 25" barrel a hundred years ago, and it greatly spurred the sales of his guns, I just wondered what the general consensus was on even shorter barrels than 27". They still seem to spark some controversy, even now. It is no gun for clays, or anything of that sort, but a delight to carry in the field and, incidentally, proofed for 2 3/4"" (1 1/4 oz.) ammunition. Sandlapper

Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on various factors, while I would not choose a gun with 25" barrels specifically for clays, they're not all the same. The example of the Churchill XXVs . . . those are guns that were built with driven shooting in mind. Basically to trick the shooter into thinking he was shooting a gun with longer barrels. That makes a difference.

Another example in my own experience comes from the Ithaca imported SKB sxs. The 20ga guns came either with 25" barrels, mostly choked IC/M, or 28" barrels choked M/F. The model 100, which had a splinter forend, is very light. I could never shoot one of those with 25" barrels well at all at skeet. With 28" barrels (and the tight chokes opened), they shot well for me both at skeet and in the field. Or give me a 280 with 25" barrels, which had the somewhat unusual combination of a straight grip but a generous beavertail forend, and I could shoot those pretty well. I think that the difference in both cases was the added weight up front: longer barrels on the 100'; beavertail on the 280.

Sidelock
Sidelock

This discussion brings to mind an old friend, that was temporarily addicted to 2" 12 ga doubles. He would be in love until he shot a round of sporting and even with light loads 50 or more shots convinced him they weren't practical. I suspect if we used the these shorter barreled guns in the grouse woods or on a quail plantation or even on one of the sporting courses I shoot at, where many of the targets are quick window shots, they would perform fine.
Not to change your subject but you mention the proof and 2 3/4" chambers. I have a couple old doubles that someone lengthened from 2 1/2" to 2 3/4". While I wouldn't have done that I am not too upset because with guns this light I use a much reduced load, 3/4 oz in guns originally proofed for 1 1/8 oz. I think a round of 25 shots with 1 1/4 oz in your 6 lb guns will have you rethinking that combination.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

While they're not for me, I have hunted woodcock with a friend from the low country of SC who shoots a 20 ga., 25" barreled SKB, like Larry mentioned. Floyd is a death ray with that little gun. I'd never bet against him, using it in the woods. He's Gil's close friend and his SKB has been pictured on the annual game picture threads many times.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
1 member likes this: GLS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I shoot skeet with a Bill Hanus bird gun, and upland with a WC Scott "Orvis Best". Both are 25" and 28ga. One is 5lbs 13 and the other is 5lbs 14. They are light and lively. Wouldn't change a thing. I did have, at one point, a Dickinson Estate cut to 25" and re-choked. It weighed 5lbs 2. I never thought I would say a gun could be too light. That one was, and it was VERY wippy. Couldn't shoot it to save my life so down the road it went. I love short barrels but it depends on the individual gun.

Bill Johnson
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wouldn’t buy a gun with anything shorter than 27” barrels, but then I’ve never shot a 25” gun. However, there can be some great deals on the shorter barreled guns. A gun with 26” barrels was a very common skeet gun in the 1980s and a lot of people hunted with them. If they work for you there’s nothing wrong with them. A positive article on 25” guns Short ones.

Ken

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a CZ BRNO ZH102 skeet gun with 26" barrels. The barrels certainly impose no handicap on the gun's performance. Shoots as well and as easily as the Perazzi Mirage skeet gun with 27" barrels. The Perazzi may be more capable at international skeet but the BRNO is rather my choice for NSSA actually.
I can't imagine that 25" barrels would impose any hardship either. I get along fine with short barreled guns but we all know what an insensitive clot I am.

Have a day
Dr. WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Shoot whatever is available at the time. End result, the fellow who knows how to shoot will do a better job than the fellow who doesn't know how to shoot, regardless of the barrel length. "Learn how to shoot."

5 members like this: mc, Bret Adams, ithaca1, Jimmy W, Karl Graebner
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think the only handicap in shooting a short (or long) barreled gun, if you are not shooting them regularly, is the time and effort needed to learn to shoot one. Short barrels are no more difficult to shoot than long barrels, if you shoot it enough to be used to it. Shoot just short barrels for some time and then jump to a heavy 30-32" barreled gun and that will feel ponderous.

If you can lift up your and and point at a bird in flight, you can learn to shoot short, light barreled guns. Nothing will be shorter or lighter than your hand pointing your index finger and that's not hard.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

On occasion I shoot an Ithaca SKB 20 and Darne R10 20, both with 25" barrels, they are no "death rays" in my hands like Floyd's is in his hands, but more "Second Chance at Life Rays." I shoot them no worse nor better than other lengths for woodcock and quail. Gil

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.