May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, Karl Graebner, ClapperZapper, Ian Forrester, Ken57, 1 invisible), 1,033 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,544
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi

Booked a mixed plains game and bird hunt in Namibia. Would love any suggestions as to footwear to take. Willing to pay for good quality.

Thanks in advance.

All the best

SkeeterBD

Sidelock
Sidelock

https://russellmoccasin.com/collections/boots/products/safari-ph

Look at eBay and see what is there in this PH boot for your size. I wear 12D and found a nearly brand new pair for less than half price a couple of years ago. I still have my 20 year old pair as well.

If you are in the heavy thorn area you may want a all leather as well. You need gaiters.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks greatly, bushveld. Will look for gaiters as well.

All the best

SkeeterBD

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not to hijack this thread, but will someone explain to me why all of the PH's with British extraction wear shorts all the time in the thorn brush, even when it's fairly cool. They will have on a fleece top with shorts. Seems to me that after a jaunt or two through the thorns with shorts would convey the message you need long pants.

Good luck with your boot search, Skeeterbd.

JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lowa boots are great several people I know where them and no complaints except price

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've worn New Balance hiking/walking shoes on my last 2 safaris in Tanzania I enjoyed my Courtney boots on another hunt in Zimbabwe, and took them on the ones to Tanzania, but good rugged walking shoes were my preference and what I'd take if going again. Combining these with short gaiters to cover your socks, to me is the ideal combination. My PH on my most recent 21-day hunt in Tanzania only wore Tevas.
Short pants with plenty of pockets are all that's needed though it can get chilly when riding in the back of a land cruiser early in the morning, so a jacket is a must. It warms up a lot during the day. You'll see a lot of first timers getting those long pants that can zip off and turn into shorts. A reasonable idea, I suppose, but switching between long and short pants doesn't often happen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Skeeterbd
Thanks greatly, bushveld. Will look for gaiters as well.

All the best

SkeeterBD

Lived in Africa for a while. I offer you some advice: Wear shirts that do not have a top pocket on the same side as your shooting arm. For example, if you mount your rifle/gun to your right shoulder do not have a right top pocket on your shirt--you may have to remove the pocket from your favorite shooting shirt. Secondly, ask your home family doctor to write you a prescription for a "Z pak". Carry it with you on your person to Africa/Namibia. If are not familiar with a Z pak, it is typically taken over a five-day course to treat infections such as bronchitis, pneumonia, and infections of the ears, lungs and other organs.

Namibia is one of the most magnificent places in all of Africa, of course so is Botswana.

Last edited by bushveld; 10/20/23 06:28 PM.
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

+ 1 on Namibia.

Light upland bird hunting boots are perfect, in my opinion.

The shirt recommendation is spot on unless your strong-side pocket has a button down flap. This applies to upland bird hunting too.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Vic, Tevas? Floyd's PH wore flip-flops. I ran across a former PH (Cape Buffalo) in a south Georgia turkey swamp wearing Crocs. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever you buy, I suggest you get them as soon as possible and get them broke in before you go. I wouldn't want to go on a hunting expedition with a brand new pair of boots. Just sayin'..... smile

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.