April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (bushveld, oskar, KDGJ, Jtplumb, battle, 1 invisible), 450 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

That sounds like a lot of PSI, but didn't I read somewhere that it took over 50,000 psi before they could damage or blow up test barrels from a Remington 870 a few years ago?? Or did I read the article wrong?

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/24/23 07:40 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by LeFusil
If Tim's AYA (company) says that he can shoot steel shot through his gun, then he shouldn't have to worry about shooting normal loads of steel shot though it. It should have been tested at the factory to do such. I have a 686 Beretta that I have always used to shoot trap for 20 years. Some places I shoot only allow you to use steel shot if you want to shoot there and you have to buy THEIR ammo to shoot at their range. I have shot several boxes of steel shot through that gun of normal trap loads over the years at that range with an IM choke with no problems. Browning says I can use steel shot in my Citori and I will use steel shot in it if I ever need to. --7 1/2 shot--1 1/8th oz. about 1235 FPS--10,400 PSI in a 12 gauge is what I refer to as a "normal" trap load with lead shot for me. The steel shot load that they sell us is pretty similar. Either breaks targets fairly well.......P.S. Pardon me, Tim for thinking that your gun had screw in chokes at the beginning of this thread. I didn't realize that your gun had fixed chokes. Good luck.

An AyA 4/53 is neither a Citori or a 686. The 4/53 is a light game gun.
All AyA is saying is that the BARRELS can handle steel loads, loaded to CIP standards. Our steel loads are not loaded to CIP, they’re loaded to SAAMI pressures. Euro proof makes no claims as to the effect of the loads on the action, stock, etc.
Take the “mild” 2 3/4” Remmy Sportsman high speed steel, it’s a 1200 bar load (17k psi) Thats not a normal trap load. They are stout, and It’ll loosen up a light game gun fairly quickly.
There are some Euro steel loads available here in the States. Bioammo produces CIP steel loads that several places sell here in the USA. I have no personal experience with any Euro produced steel loads. Mr. Cartmell may want to look into offerings like that. If it were my AyA, I’d probably stay away from SAAMI steel ammo.
I realize all this. All I'm saying is that my gun manufacturers say that I can shoot steel shot in my gun. So, I shoot steel shot through them. If his AYA says he can shoot steel through his gun, he should be able to shoot steel shot. I don't believe that AYA would say that he can shoot steel shot through his gun if it wasn't so. As long as he doesn't shoot some monstrous load. I would think that he could shoot any 20 gauge load that the average shooter would shoot trap, skeet or sporting clays with. Even though you normally wouldn't use steel for those events. Why would AYA build a gun to shoot steel shot and then turn around and tell you not to use it on an animal because the steel load to kill that animal is too big. In other words, why buy a gun to use for duck hunting and then not be able to use it for duck hunting because the load to kill a duck is too big to use steel shot with. I'd like to know what he intends to use the gun for. I'm anxious to hear what they say.

Hey Jimmy,

It's all good. No worries. I'm not upset about any of this. It's a very good discussion about concerns I hadn't thought of before.

I haven't heard back from AyA, and if I do, they will likely just say that the shotgun was tested by the Eibar Proof House, it passed proof and so is good to go. In my mind they wouldn't be wrong if the CIP Regulation makes the statement "no choke restriction" for High Performance Steel Proof. But if the ammunition manufacturers are advising against it, then I think it's better to be safe than sorry over potentially damaging an expensive shotgun. It' a very nice gun, I like it and have been using it all along with lead shot since I bought it. I had just thought if the Government policy ever changed regarding lead shot where I live, then I could still have an option with using steel shot in a a modern shotgun. Again, no worries. It's all good.

_____
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Vintage guns and steel typically do not go together. As previous posters have noted the speeds required to get steel close to lead performance push guns to max pressure and possibly max recoil. It simply drives home the reality that vintage doubles should stick to Bismuth if non tox is required.

I keep an old Franchi Auto from my grandfather, with an extra barrel I purchased in order to shoot steel and not care about barrel damage. it works for dove, though I prefer my side by sides.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by old colonel
Vintage guns and steel typically do not go together. As previous posters have noted the speeds required to get steel close to lead performance push guns to max pressure and possibly max recoil. It simply drives home the reality that vintage doubles should stick to Bismuth if non tox is required.

There it is. The simple and obvious solution for hunting scenarios.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, I 'll remember that. I thought his gun was a new, modern gun. I'm not that familiar with AYA. Sorry.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/25/23 06:49 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The article I read about psi was by a Tom Roster that he published in 2014. He said that SAAMI provides for the mean average of 19,800 psi proof loads for proofing barrels for 2 3/4" or 3"-- 12 gauge loads. He started by using loads that developed 20,000 psi in the test Remington 870 barrels. He worked his way up- 5,000 psi at a time until he reached 50,000 psi with no damage to the barrels. At 55,000 psi the barrels blew up. He stated that most barrels blow up because of obstruction. Not by high pressure. So, as I said, maybe I misunderstood the article. I knew guys who used to shoot 1 1/4 trap loads that probably were pretty stout in their Model 12s for years. I guess I don't notice things that other shooters do. Like recoil and trigger pull. You guys talked about the heavy trigger pulls in the CZ Bobwhite shotguns. I stopped in at my local gun store last week and looked at several of their SXSs and when I dry fired them, I thought- that they felt OK to me. Ha-ha!! They were a little "crisp" but I figured that I'm probably heavy handed or something. Ha-ha!! Good luck and take care.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/26/23 05:13 PM.
1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I came across this old TGS Outdoors video on Youtube. They were testing standard steel shot 2 3/4 inch, 28 gram, #5, shotgun cartridges in a vintage W. Richards of Liverpool, 2 1/2 inch chambered SxS, choked IC/IM. They fired a box of cartridges through the gun without any ill effects, other than recoil. However, the "newer" old Spanish Ugartechea shotgun discussed, did have some barrel damage from using 3 inch magnum steel, specifically, some slight rivelling, a bulge on the left barrel at the choke end, and a recoil disintegrated shotgun safety.

The testers did allude to recoil being an issue with lighter guns, as LeFusil and Drew had commented on previously in this thread. The older fellow stated that he once had an 8 lb. Webley & Scott made Greener Empire wildfowling gun. He said that he took it off face shooting just a half a box of 3 inch magnum Canadian Imperial Cartridges (SAAMI? lead loads) through it back in the 1970’s.

They did mention the American Remington shotgun pressure test at the end of the video.

So my take away, even though barrels may take the increased pressures, it doesn’t necessarily mean the action, stock and shooter can take the effects of the associated recoil. Anyway, I thought it was an interesting discussion.

English Guns and Steel Shot

_____
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

I knew that you had to be really careful shooting steel shot in an older gun. I thought you had bought a new gun, recently. Sorry about that. I did learn a lot too. I tried to post the story about the 870 testing, but this website blocked me because it was in another magazine. It was really amazing how much pressure an 870 could take. I have one with one of the 34" trap barrels. And an extra slug barrel. The trap barrel is choked so tight, when I tried to shoot trap with it, I couldn't hit anything. There wasn't any chipped targets with it. It was either turning them to powder or missing them completely. I have really had a hard time with it the few times I tried it out. Take care.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/30/23 03:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting topic but just shoot Bismuth, although even the Kent Bismuth is a little hot for a spanish SxS. Unless you live somewhere where the sky is blackened by flushing pheasants, it's in the noise, cost-wise. When my state mandated non-toxic in essentially all public areas, I bought a Benelli Ultralight to shoot steel, but when Kent started selling Bismuth I was able to once again use my Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen and 16 gauge Ithaca Model 37. But I won't put Kent Bismuth through my Ugartecheas or my Garbi. You just have to reload or pay RST, when they have them. Currently Rogers Sporting Goods has #5 12 gauge Kent Bismuth at $34/box, free shipping over $99.00 which if your gun can handle it beats the RST non-tox at $65/box. Now I shoot those Kent 12's in the Ultralight, the improvement in performance over steel is worth it.

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I knew that you had to be really careful shooting steel shot in an older gun. I thought you had bought a new gun, recently. Sorry about that. I did learn a lot too. I tried to post the story about the 870 testing, but this website blocked me because it was in another magazine. It was really amazing how much pressure an 870 could take. I have one with one of the 34" trap barrels. And an extra slug barrel. The trap barrel is choked so tight, when I tried to shoot trap with it, I couldn't hit anything. There wasn't any chipped targets with it. It was either turning them to powder or missing them completely. I have really had a hard time with it the few times I tried it out. Take care.

Hi Jimmy,

My AyA is a new shotgun. I bought it new in 2012. But I do have vintage British shotguns as well. I never heard anything back from AyA though. Thanks.

_____
TC

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.