April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, bushveld, 67galaxie, eeb), 745 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Tim Cartmell
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I knew that you had to be really careful shooting steel shot in an older gun. I thought you had bought a new gun, recently. Sorry about that. I did learn a lot too. I tried to post the story about the 870 testing, but this website blocked me because it was in another magazine. It was really amazing how much pressure an 870 could take. I have one with one of the 34" trap barrels. And an extra slug barrel. The trap barrel is choked so tight, when I tried to shoot trap with it, I couldn't hit anything. There wasn't any chipped targets with it. It was either turning them to powder or missing them completely. I have really had a hard time with it the few times I tried it out. Take care.

Hi Jimmy,

My AyA is a new shotgun. I bought it new in 2012. But I do have vintage British shotguns as well. I never heard anything back from AyA though. Thanks.

_____
TC
Well, if your gun is that new, how come I can shoot steel shot through my 686 Beretta that I bought in 2000, with an I/M barrel (choke tubes) or my Browning Citori which is probably that old, and everyone on here said I can shoot steel shot without damaging the barrels. But you can't? That's what I couldn't figure out. Oh well. Ha-ha!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Bruce Bernacki
Interesting topic but just shoot Bismuth, although even the Kent Bismuth is a little hot for a spanish SxS. Unless you live somewhere where the sky is blackened by flushing pheasants, it's in the noise, cost-wise. When my state mandated non-toxic in essentially all public areas, I bought a Benelli Ultralight to shoot steel, but when Kent started selling Bismuth I was able to once again use my Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen and 16 gauge Ithaca Model 37. But I won't put Kent Bismuth through my Ugartecheas or my Garbi. You just have to reload or pay RST, when they have them. Currently Rogers Sporting Goods has #5 12 gauge Kent Bismuth at $34/box, free shipping over $99.00 which if your gun can handle it beats the RST non-tox at $65/box. Now I shoot those Kent 12's in the Ultralight, the improvement in performance over steel is worth it.

The problem is that the Kent Bismuth in Canada is $91 per box. That's for the 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/16 ounce upland loads.

_____
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Interesting topic but just shoot Bismuth, although even the Kent Bismuth is a little hot for a spanish SxS. Unless you live somewhere where the sky is blackened by flushing pheasants, it's in the noise, cost-wise. When my state mandated non-toxic in essentially all public areas, I bought a Benelli Ultralight to shoot steel, but when Kent started selling Bismuth I was able to once again use my Browning A-5 Sweet Sixteen and 16 gauge Ithaca Model 37. But I won't put Kent Bismuth through my Ugartecheas or my Garbi. You just have to reload or pay RST, when they have them. Currently Rogers Sporting Goods has #5 12 gauge Kent Bismuth at $34/box, free shipping over $99.00 which if your gun can handle it beats the RST non-tox at $65/box. Now I shoot those Kent 12's in the Ultralight, the improvement in performance over steel is worth it.

The problem is that the Kent Bismuth in Canada is $91 per box. That's for the 2 3/4 inch, 1 1/16 ounce upland loads.

_____
TC

As far as I am concerned, the biggest problem is that it is just too hot. For some reason, I have 2 boxes of 1.25 oz Upland loads of #5s. I don't know how I'm going to get rid of them, but it won't be shooting them.

Last edited by BrentD, Prof; 11/30/23 08:21 PM.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oh well, be careful. I just figured that if a light steel load of shot is adequate enough to break clay targets without damaging my guns, I figured it would kill a bird. I guess I'll have to check the steel loads I shoot more. Thanks for the info guys. Good luck.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 11/30/23 08:31 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the heads up guys. The last thing I want to do is spend a $1000 on a case of Bismuth cartridges that I find I can't use.

Kent Bismuth Upland Cartridges

______
TC

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

_____
TC

As far as I am concerned, the biggest problem is that it is just too hot. For some reason, I have 2 boxes of 1.25 oz Upland loads of #5s. I don't know how I'm going to get rid of them, but it won't be shooting them.

Thanks for the heads up guys. The last thing I want to do is spend a $1000 on a case of Bismuth cartridges that I find I can't use.

Kent Bismuth Upland Cartridges

______
TC

If you reload, I'd be happy to suggest recipes that you can check out. I'm shooting Boss Bismuth with fiber wads, this year, but normally I use home rolleds with Longshot powder and Rotometals Bi/Sn #5s for pheasants. They work really well.

_________

1 member likes this: Tim Cartmell
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would never be able to find supplies around here like that to reload with. Since lack of bird hunting, most people around here only hunt released birds. Mainly rabbits or squirrels. For that reason, I am lucky just to find premade loads with #5 or #6 lead shot for birds because stores in my area don't provide them. If there is not water around, do you have to use that type of a load to hunt with? Or do you load that type of a load just for the enjoyment of it? If you do, that sounds like fun, but almost impossible for me. There are plenty of clay target reloading supplies, but no hunting- reloading supplies like bismuth or fiber wads. Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
I would never be able to find supplies around here like that to reload with. Since lack of bird hunting, most people around here only hunt released birds. Mainly rabbits or squirrels. For that reason, I am lucky just to find premade loads with #5 or #6 lead shot for birds because stores in my area don't provide them. If there is not water around, do you have to use that type of a load to hunt with? Or do you load that type of a load just for the enjoyment of it? If you do, that sounds like fun, but almost impossible for me. There are plenty of clay target reloading supplies, but no hunting- reloading supplies like bismuth or fiber wads. Thanks

I'll assume you are talking to me. If you can type messages on this forum, you can mail order your supplies. Even though there are reloading supplies sold at the local gun shop a mile away and at many other gunshops, I rarely buy from them. They can be hideously over priced.

Nontox loads (ie, Bismuth for me) are required for all waterfowl. That's a federal thing. They are only required for upland where special federal dollars were used to purchase the property (WPA, is one example), or where a local county (such as the one I live in) requires it for land they regulate, or on private property where the landowner requires it. Yesterday, I hunted 3 different properties for pheasants and need Bismuth on one of them. As a result, there is a lot of shuffling of loads in and out of my vest at each place we hunted. It is a small hassle.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I was asking you, BrentD. I couldn't repeat more than three quotes. Sorry.......... The places around here are state owned where they release birds. And other than released birds, there aren't many pheasants, grouse or other type of bird species in my state that I know of. Unless it is on private land........... When I go on vacation in Florida, there is a trap range about 3 miles from me. There is a large hill/backstop behind the area where you shoot. There is a lake on the other side of that hill and you can't shoot over that hill or you will be banned from going there. They have been sued at least a dozen times (bogus lawsuits that they have never lost). When I first went there, they showed me a movie of why I couldn't shoot over that hill and they took my drivers license info- that way if they ban you from going there, they look up your name and you can never shoot there again. When you get a squad to shoot trap, the puller walks up and down behind you and you can't shoot until he tells you to. That way he can watch to see if your shot goes over that hill. You have to buy their steel shot that they sell at that club. No lead and no reloads. I have since found a better place to shoot where they insist on using lead shot and I can use my own reloads. It is a little farther away, about 30 miles, but a lot better club. It is really a hassle to hunt and shoot sometimes.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 12/01/23 11:40 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jimmy, you would find Fly Over Country much more friendly and accomodating. We have birds, friendly trap ranges, and a little more space though occasionally someone lands a bullet on someone else's house.

_________

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.