April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jem Finch, fab500, SKB, Fudd, 1 invisible), 425 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,152
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

And then it hit me! Perhaps those possibly missing trays had holes bored through them to hold shells. Then the weight would be on the ledgers and not the bottom boards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If it were a cartridge box, there would be cartridge marks on the underside of the lid and trade label. I see nothing like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I was thinking a cartridge box as well. But after an internet search, I don’t think that’s what the box is. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find anything like it. I did find this example of a cartridge box.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DaveB; 11/24/23 09:52 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Obviously, the box is simply an early version of this:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Way back when, many items were packed and shipped in wooden boxes that would be considered too costly, too wasteful, and too labor intensive today. Guys could order guns through the mail, and they would be shipped direct from the factory or dealer in a wooden box. Milk and soda pop was delivered in wooden crates. Fruit and other produce came in wooden boxes. I keep some of my chisels and checkering tools in wooden cigar boxes that were fairly well made, and cost only a buck or two.

I suppose that someday in the future, if guns and forums like this still exist, someone may post a Thread here to speculate what might have been shipped in this Amazon box. It probably wasn't a gun, because the box is not lost or damaged beyond recognition.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: Imperdix
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now, that's a cartridge box, Dave. I wonder if the oak box smells of tobacco. Lots of makers had backgrounds other than firearms.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ChiefAmungum
Is it possible there are pieces missing? Looks like trays may have rested on those ledger boards front and back. No idea what that would mean but they are there for some purpose.

I believe the pieces you are seeing are simply there to hold the center divider in place, without having to cut a rabbet in the front and back.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

(HistoricBore, you can see that I can fit 7 shells if they are alternating. Not so if they are all heads or tails up.)

There are also screws on the front and back faces to keep the divider from falling out:

[url=https://ibb.co/LvYbKsG]]

Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Is it big enough to have once held a brace of pistols? Perhaps there are sign of other partitions in it at one time?

I see no signs of other partitions and I don't think it's nearly big enough to hold pistols, unless they were very small.

Last edited by Woodreaux; 11/25/23 12:43 AM. Reason: Added replies

Jim
1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
Obviously, the box is simply an early version of this:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I suppose that someday in the future, if guns and forums like this still exist, someone may post a Thread here to speculate what might have been shipped in this Amazon box...

I don't think I've ever seen a shipping box with an inlayed lock, although there's no denying that we've traded wood and iron for cardboard and plastic in the century since this box was made

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some more interesting things re: the joinery for the woodworkers in the group or the simply interested among us:

The sides are joined by classic, British-style dovetails with wide tails and tiny pins

The top is made of two boards joined by narrow /thin board on each side running in a rabbet (rebate in Brit-speak)

And the bottom is simply nailed on with what appear to be headless, cut brad nails.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

The close ups are interesting.

Now, I'm betting that the glued in, rabbeted lid ends are later repairs for the drying splint? The grain on the lid end cross strips seems to have come from newer growth wood, might even be able to see later glue smears on the underside of the lid. The sides of the topside have some taper, but not the front, maybe made by a cabinet maker, used to making panels, drawer bottom style.

No plane marks anywhere, so maybe it fits the era that you noted. While it has hand cut dovetails, they never really look "fine", and the close up kind of looks like it might lean towards utilitarian construction, rather than best effort? Still, neat subject piece.

Sidelock
Sidelock

98 12 bore (7x7 x 2) seems to be an odd number to ship. Would it take 10 20 bore per side so a box of 200?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.