April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (KDGJ, ClapperZapper, SKB, Jimmy W), 421 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,148
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Parabola
98 12 bore (7x7 x 2) seems to be an odd number to ship. Would it take 10 20 bore per side so a box of 200?

I'm not sure I have any 20 gauge shells at the house but I really don't think this was a box for ammunition.

Jim
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
The close ups are interesting.

Now, I'm betting that the glued in, ...

No plane marks anywhere ...

looks like it might lean towards utilitarian construction, rather than best effort?

good observation on the growth rings. As I'm thinking about it, the simpler way to rejoin the top would have been to attach the strips directly to the inside. The rabbets make me think that, while not fancy or best, the box was not entirely utilitarian.

I had thought about the lack of planing tracks, but wasn't sure what to make of that. Probably speaks to the era of build, as you suggested.

Did you notice the marking gauge lines? They are faint, but present. I love seeing the remnants of hand work

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just purely fun guessing. By era, I think the boards were machine planed? The box lid, to me, is a problem. I am still guessing it's a later repair, not only because of the split, but it might not have been laying flat. The rigid cross grain gluing in the rabbet is not so good, but no doubt it works in this case. I think the rabbet was used to retain the original top, I'm still guessing repair, so that the lid still functioned at its original thickness.

The reason I leaned towards thinking utilitary construction, is because the lid doesn't follow wood movement rules. Back to strips attached inside the lid, rather than in rabbets. Maybe, it was a relatively tight squeeze between the sides and the hinges, maybe it might have been too bulky to close on the intended contents? Yes, I noticed the layout lines. The pins might be safe width at the top and bottom, where the piece might have had better visual balance if they were more proportional to the center pin? Again, just some guessing out loud, seeing what story it might tell, not picking on the box. Take care.

1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Woodreaux
Some more interesting things re: the joinery for the woodworkers in the group or the simply interested among us:

The sides are joined by classic, British-style dovetails with wide tails and tiny pins

The top is made of two boards joined by narrow /thin board on each side running in a rabbet (rebate in Brit-speak)

And the bottom is simply nailed on with what appear to be headless, cut brad nails.

You can pretty much date the box by the nails that they used. I believe they stopped using square nails around the 1890s or so in furniture. So, I would date the box before the 1890s.

1 member likes this: Woodreaux
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just spotted this, and remembered this thread.

https://www.rstshells.com/store/p/46-Wooden-Storage-Box.aspx

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

For a while, about 20 years ago, Winchester made these. I used to have one. Thanks for posting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Earlier in the fall I was meandering through an antique mall and noticed several wooden ammo boxes in a vendors space. In light of this thread, I will look at them more closely the next time I’m there and report back if I see anything helpful.

Speude Bradeos
Sidelock
Sidelock

Back in the area so went by to check. Not surprisingly, all the ammo boxes were gone but he did have 12-15 other assorted wooden boxes. Looked through them all in light of your box but didn’t see anything similar. Sorry.

Speude Bradeos
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.