April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (earlyriser, SKB, MattH, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 868 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,274
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Offered for discussion.

I've been on a bit of an acquisitive tear in the past couple of months, and as a result, have three new doubles to my name- a disparate pair of over-unders built for serious skeet, and a weird, delicate Italian side-by-side farm implement built for, umm, looking pretty and possibly scaring ruffed grouse and spruce grouse out of their feathery little wits. During this period of "take my money", I naturally examined several dozen sales ads on numerous sales and trading fora, and bricks-and-mortar shop websites. The number of times I read an advert and had to contact the seller to ask basic questions such as "How long are the barrels?" "How's it choked?" "Is that a selective or non-selective single trigger?" "Do you think it'd stop a Yukon Gold potato in a charge?" still amuses me. So I've been wondering what this hive mind would consider the bare minimum of data required in a double-barrelled shotgun sales ad. For the general and possibly-interested market, I mean.

I'll start. Were I to list my old Browning B-SS (which is for the moment damned unlikely) on a site that doesn't permit photo upload and I had no photo hosting service available, this is how I'd do it:

FOR SALE: BROWNING B-SS 12-Gauge Shotgun, 28" barrels

Browning B-SS shotgun, side-by-side, 12-gauge, 2-3/4" chambers, 28" barrels

• Condition: Wrecked. Off-face. Clatters like an old Zippo.
  • Serial number places it beyond the salt-wood era.
  • Rollmarks state "MADE IN JAPAN ASSEMBLED IN CROATIA"
  • Single non-selective trigger
  • Choked Modified and Full. Modified (right-hand) barrel usually fires first.

Of course, if it had screw-in chokes...

• Comes with the following Triley-Breague Unscrewable® flush chokes: Cylinder, Cylinder, Skeet, Skeet, Disapproved Cylinder, Modified Cylinder, Modified, Modified Penguin, Penguin, Penguin, Full Penguin, Light Musk-Ox, Full Musk-Ox, Full, Extra-Full, Too Full, Reverse Venturi, Buick

(Sorry. Back to regular programming.)

• 17.5" length of pull
  • Original hard black plastic Browning buttplate with a picture of John M. Browning straightening his tie; stock appears unaltered
  • Forend and buttstock free of cracks, chips, and other defects that may invite derision or incite disgust
  • Comes with original maker's case. Original case-maker not included.
  • Exact round-count is unknown to me, but figure 500000 to 700000 shells
  • Pictures available to your rotary phone.

So. Did I miss anything important?

Last edited by Fudd; 11/27/23 11:07 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

What do you mean by "a site that doesn't permit photo upload"?

Here's my old B-SS, in a photo that I just uploaded.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

May God bless America and those who defend her.
4 members like this: Jimmy W, Tim Cartmell, Karl Graebner, Parabola
Fudd Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I mean direct upload, as in the site will let you post a picture straight outta your device, as opposed to linking it from a photo host somewhere else. The gent I recently bought my Browning Superposed Skeet from claimed to have no way of and no knowledge as to post pictures in his ad. (Not this site.) He e-mailed me the pictures I requested.

That is a fine picture, Mister Hillis. Is your old Browning a 30-incher, choked full-ish in both pipes? And I trust those mallards got et with relish.

Last edited by Fudd; 11/27/23 11:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Photo hosting is FREE here

https://www.jpgbox.com/

Osage Missourian Canoe
17 feet, square stern, 9.5 Johnson Outboard
Drafts 1 inch and is my duck canoe smile

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Last edited by skeettx; 11/27/23 11:38 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Photo-hosting has been free for 20 years. There was that interlude when Photobucket decided they could hold for ransom 3 billion photos. How did that work out? The extortionists lost their job and photobucket is now a bit player. That void was filled in an instant in a free-enterprise economy by Imgur and jpgbox among about a dozen others.

And if you want to see where they are all stored, come out to Loudoun County, Virginia just west of WDC.

The most complete and substantive ads on the internet - barrel lengths, weights, chokes, patent use stamps, etc. for SxS is Toby Barclay's site. In Pennsylvania in September he said he tries to anticipate every question a buyer might have. It's called integrity and logic.

Last edited by Argo44; 11/28/23 12:05 AM.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Fudd
I mean direct upload, as in the site will let you post a picture straight outta your device, as opposed to linking it from a photo host somewhere else. The gent I recently bought my Browning Superposed Skeet from claimed to have no way of and no knowledge as to post pictures in his ad. (Not this site.) He e-mailed me the pictures I requested.

That is a fine picture, Mister Hillis. Is your old Browning a 30-incher, choked full-ish in both pipes? And I trust those mallards got et with relish.

It is a 30 incher, Fudd. Originally choked Mod and Full, I had the left barrel opened to .018", same as the right was originally, and shoot steel in it with abandon. I prefer my mallets to be et after coating with olive oil, salt and pepper. Then, slow grilling upright until med. rare inside. No relish, thank you. wink

BTW, jpgbox.com is so quick and easy I don't understand why anyone would have an issue using it. Once you locate the pic in your personal storage it only takes a couple of clicks to post it. It can be done in less than 60 seconds, and it's absolutely free.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Fudd, you are in Canada. I speak from experience when I say our on line gun market, if you could call it that, is bereft of sellers that know how to describe a gun. That means, if there is enough at the start to spark an interest, a tedious back and forth, often having to explain what it is we are asking for.

Conversely, it means that a complete ad that offers detailed accurate information, even if it includes “email for pics” typically is well received. When I have sold a gun on line in Canada it’s never taken more than 10 days. Price it properly, provide all possible information, have good detailed pictures that show what needs to be seen.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Fudd
So I've been wondering what this hive mind would consider the bare minimum of data required in a double-barrelled shotgun sales ad.

No bare minimum of information. I just adjust price accordingly. I bought a local Greener on GB with terrible pictures from an uninformed seller for $500. The seller had gone to a shop and been told it was worth $5K. It ended up being about a $900 gun with good photographs and a relatively informed description. I was happy with the overall transaction(s).

Point being, there is always a price point at which I am willing to gamble, and I will never pay anything approaching a retail or even wholesale price for something with inadequate information and photographs.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have bought a number of shotguns on line and virtually none of them were described accurately. Often measurements are incorrect...weight, drop, chamber length, etc. The last three I bought had some part of the description incorrect. I try to avoid this by calling the seller. Despite that, errors were made. Happily, sometimes the mistakes or omissions are in my favor! My Webley and a Francotte weigh less than advertised. I have returned two guns that were junk.

AGS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not long ago I bought a 20 gauge Ithaca NID in nice shape on Gunbroker which was advertised as a 16 gauge Sterlingworth. Had a detailed lengthy description that was for a SW but had no bearing to the 20-30 detailed pictures. Starting bid was $500. I sent 3 messages as to the discrepency and was never able to get the guy to actually verify the id of the gun in his own pawnshop. At closing, I checked that he had a 3 day in hand return policy and bought it. Very nice NID smallbore for $500. Who could not like that?
I cruise GunBroker for these kind of auctions, because they tend to be looked at then dropped like a hot potato. Pawnbrokers seem to be particularly adept at throwing their money away after extorting it from distressed clients.

Last edited by AGS; 11/28/23 01:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.