Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My journey to become a right handed shooter has had a few bumps and twists in the road. While I always had a bit of trouble shooting very lightweight guns, that problem is magnified dramatically for me off the right shoulder. Same story with recoil. My new line in the sand is anything less than about 6 1/4 pounds is going to be problematic for me.

Shooting a double has been troublesome. I was thinking it was a vision issue with my right eye, but, I believe now it is the struggle with my mount, which, hopefully, I can practice my way out of. I have moved a few very light guns, and have offers on a few others that life has made obsolete in my little corner of the world.

This gun, has turned out to be a pleasant surprise:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Reviewed previously, here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=482717&page=1

A trip out to my gun club with a box of RST 2 1/2” 1 Oz loads of 7 shot yielded me a 23. Two lost trap targets with a double bird gun on a regulation trap course hasn’t happened since before the eye injury. Repeaters, yes, but, my doubles have been a different, and sad, story.

The gun is choked about IC and IMOD, weighs 6.6 lbs on my baggage scale and is nobody’s idea of a trap gun. I shot it with an ugly slip on Limb Saver, and its sling. Too lazy to remove the sling, and trying to shoot in daylight while the temp was in the 50s. I might put a permanent pad on it, but, the slip on can come off when the weather is in the sub 10 degrees range, and my clothes negate the need for another inch or so off pull. The Limb Saver is a bit sticky, and hangs up on cotton and wool clothing.

I actually sold this gun a few years back, and bought it back when the buyer kindly offered it to me. It spent time in Maine, if I am not mistaken, and came back to me, none the worse for wear.

Little victories along the way.

Best,
Ted

7 members like this: DaveB, Parabola, Lloyd3, Dan S. W., Stanton Hillis, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad things are starting to come together for you. Switching shoulders is not an easy thing to do.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Temp in the 50's? What's going on up there? Climate change or something?

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Argo44

I’m sure it’s Trumps fault.

Not common at all, but, it has happened before.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pleased as to your progress
Keep us updated if you can

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glad to hear you are finding a way to keep shooting doubles Ted. It's quite a feat and accomplishment to overcome a lifetime of shooting with your dominant eye and shoulder. As they say, Winners never quit, and quitters never win. Keep punching!

Originally Posted by Argo44

Often when a bit of doubt creeps into my mind, and I start to think the phonies like Al Gore may actually be on to something about global warming, I will go to the Historical Data on the National Weather Service website. There, I can see what the weather was like going back into the late 1800's for most of the U.S.

And then I am always reassured that there is absolutely nothing remarkable going on... except hysterical fearmongering by the Liberal Left.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

2 members like this: Ted Schefelbein, mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great news, Ted. Glad y'all are having some unseasonably nice weather. Saves $$$ on the heating bills that can go to buy shells. wink

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm strongly left eye dominant, but right handed. I've always shot that way. The solution for me was to close my left eye. Then a vision problem in my R eye developed: Macular pucker. in an average round of skeet at one club where I shot, I would be unable to see at least 2 or 3 targets.

Fooled around with switching to shooting left handed. The problem isn't just switching shoulders. The entire process feels really awkward. I opted for macular pucker surgery, which was successful. I still have difficulty picking up targets against a dark background, but it's seldom an issue at skeet. Sporting clays, on the other hand: I had terrible results at a sxs shoot this summer with a lot of targets flying through the trees. When hunting, I can be swinging on a bird that I see clearly against the sky, only to have it disappear against a background of trees.

But along with everything else, I've also discovered that I now shoot much better with a shorter LOP and more drop. I know that I've lost a bit of height, but I didn't think my arms were any shorter. I'm in the process of either modifying stocks, or parting company with guns I don't shoot well. In the process, I've found that I have to focus on both dimensions before I decide to purchase a gun. For example, I acquired a 12ga that had a one inch wood extension. Lose the inch and I'm right on target as far as LOP goes . . . but I've also reduced the amount of drop.

it's an interesting process.

Sidelock
Sidelock

]

Last edited by Jimmy W; 12/16/23 09:47 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Great news, Ted. Glad y'all are having some unseasonably nice weather. Saves $$$ on the heating bills that can go to buy shells. wink

You don’t have to shovel sunshine, Stan. I have a doctorate in shoveling snow.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.