April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jem Finch, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 444 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,471
Posts545,151
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#639208 12/15/23 09:46 PM
mel5141 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Today was the opener of the of the Second season here in the North Zone of Texas.....
We were holding LOTS of Doves right up to Tuesday of this week. Front came through and we had 3 small rain events over 3 days bringing a very welcome 1.45" of rain to this semi arid cow country.
Clouds broke and a sunny afternoon evolved , cool temps and a good breeze to make things plenty SPORTY.
Shot a patch of millett that was interspersed with lots of ripe ragweed and croton. Birds were not overwhelming but steady. Shot well on a presentation of long, testing shots. Limit taken well inside a box of AA 20 ga 8's
This season runs thru the 31st in our zone. I intend to make the most of it. Odds are I won't hear another shot.....Nobody out here chases Winter doves. Suits me fine.

10 members like this: docbill, mc, GLS, John Roberts, Parabola, Geo. Newbern
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by mel5141
Nobody out here chases winter doves.

What's wrong with your neighbors? 🤔

Winter doves are the finest gunning challenge I can imagine.

Thanks for the update, Paul. Only thing better would be pictures.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: Parabola, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Decades ago we had some mighty fine late season dove hunts. No more. Gone with the wind...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I go Sandhill or Goose hunting, I take some #6 steel shot for late season doves smile

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

We should be having a few more fairly good shoots between now and the end of January. The harvested peanut fields are usually a fairly dependable source of shooting. I'll be doing some scouting this week. I wish that all of my friends here could experience a good afternoon shoot with 600-700 doves coming in to feed in a 50 acre field. Some days, when the weather has been clear and calm for a spell, they all seem to come at once. If you scout properly you can almost set the clock by them. However, when a front comes through all bets are off. Their habits are very much determined by weather conditions, here.

I take my scouting seriously because I cannot stand to invite 10 or 15 friends to a shoot and the birds not show up. There's always a chance of this with migratory doves. They can be here one day and gone the next, but good scouting takes a lot of that uncertainty away.

1 member likes this: Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Reports and pictures are required for this thread

Mike Proctor
Sidelock
Sidelock

One report.

Scouted peanut fields the last two afternoons. Doves in both fields, feeding from about 3 pm until 4:30 pm. Bright,clear, sunshiny afternoons. No huge numbers. Enough birds in both fields for me to shoot by myself with decoys, but haven't seen enough yet to call an "invitation shoot". Plan to watch awhile longer before deciding to go it alone.

2 members like this: Parabola, John Roberts
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hope to be doing some late season dove hunting N of you, Mel before the late season ends. More up in the panhandle.

Not recently, but some years back met a feller in Snyder who had a place outside Roby and used to shoot on him w/some regularity in both regular and late seasons. Wasn't anything on his place to speak of, aside from some sparsely scattered croton that was better some years than others. The attraction was that he was in the middle of a flyway and the pass shooting there was great sport over his irregular land! Never large numbers of birds but usually enough where I could bag ten or so w/o a dog. Most of his place was hard pan and he had no production. Just lived there and had a day job to make ends meet and tried to farm a few aces leased from others. I always picked & cleaned the birds I took and gave them to him and once gave him a box of cartridges for the old SS .410 shotgun that lived behind his kitchen door. I was an invited guest at their table more than once. Great memories of some fun afternoons and like you said no one else within hearing range of making a shot, ever.

Glad that you are out there having some fun and getting some good sport. And as far as I'm concerned, it's just as well that those birds don't get much late season pressure. I'm of the opinion that many of them stick around in the general area year 'round but I could be wrong. And I know how quickly they can seemingly disappear with cold fronts and weather system changes. Late season birds always seem mature and healthier to me, but I don't know if that's just my impression or a fact.

3 members like this: John Roberts, Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by tw
Hope to be doing some late season dove hunting N of you, Mel before the late season ends. More up in the panhandle.

Not recently, but some years back met a feller in Snyder who had a place outside Roby and used to shoot on him w/some regularity in both regular and late seasons. Wasn't anything on his place to speak of, aside from some sparsely scattered croton that was better some years than others. The attraction was that he was in the middle of a flyway and the pass shooting there was great sport over his irregular land! Never large numbers of birds but usually enough where I could bag ten or so w/o a dog. Most of his place was hard pan and he had no production. Just lived there and had a day job to make ends meet and tried to farm a few aces leased from others. I always picked & cleaned the birds I took and gave them to him and once gave him a box of cartridges for the old SS .410 shotgun that lived behind his kitchen door. I was an invited guest at their table more than once. Great memories of some fun afternoons and like you said no one else within hearing range of making a shot, ever.

I love that story, tw. Those experiences alone in that kind of place and setting, with the unique relationship with the uncommon man and his patch of earth, are very memorable. I know you felt blessed, because I know I would have...
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

in the final analysis, all we really have are our relationships and our stories.

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.