April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hear you, we have family in the Denver and Springs area. One of the relatives by marriage, is probably one of those faces n the crowd. Did I mention I can’t stand the Denver area traffic, lol.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
craigd: I haven't ruled it out entirely, but as a product of the eastern deciduous forests myself (NW Pennsylvania) I do have an affinity for that type of biomass. I'm also haunted by the memory of how nice things still were out here even 10-years ago now(!). It's hard for me to go fish a stream (take the time, burn the gas) that once was beautiful and productive but now is crowded, trashed (not too-strong a word here), and essentially devoid of fish. I painfully understand why royalty in Europe (and/or the wealthy here) needed to make their best hunting and fishing spots private, because the hoi-polloi tend to destroy any such resource by abusive overuse. As a card-carrying member of said hoi-polloi, this bothers me to no-end, but...I have no other real solutions. Trout streams are a very delicate resource that doesn't much tolerate overuse and moreover... crowding is anathema to an old flyfisherman such as myself, as I fish to get away from it all (humanity, crowding, noise, etc.). As with most of the classic male pursuits (hunting, golf, gambling, drinking, etc.) fishing is an escape mechanism and there is no escaping from the crowds here in Colorado anymore. At least not on the Front Range. I also realize that this problem is endemic in the streams of the east and west coasts as well, thus my interests in "flyover country".

I'll attempt to size this up for both of us. "They paved over paradise and made it a parking lot"

Everything you've said is correct for what has happened to my beloved home state. You should see it from my perspective. I'm fourth generation here with roots dating back to at least 1880. In my lifetime I can remember when it was a big deal when the population hit one million & we thought it was getting crowded then. Now the population is over five million with most of this living on the front range from the springs to Ft. Collins with a major portion of this population hitting the super slab to the west slope outdoor playground every weekend, along with all of the tourists and the ultra-rich second homeowners with their McMansions ruining vistas & locking off access to vast tracks of land including public land & streams. The state has changed in so many ways that I don't even recognize the neighborhood I grew-up in or many of the places I frequented in the mountains with my outdoor pursuits. I'm a lifelong hunter, fisherman and have wrangled elk camp's and guided white water rafting all over the state in my younger days. Now, I have a sense of sorrow very time I go to the mountains and see what we've done to this magnificent place.

In short--I feel your pain--including what has happened to the state politically "I absolutely hate that aspect of all this" The bottom line is the pilgrimage of immigrants from other states as changed the landscape & politics here over the past three decades and there's no turning that clock back. I fully know the urge to move, but the question is "Where too"?

Here's a quote from a good friend who moved back to Kansas when he retired. " I came to Colorado in the sixties because of what it was---I'm now leaving because of what it's became" This pretty well sizes it up!

Lloyd3 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Dogon:

It would be very hard to be a native Coloradan and watch this state change. I was working for the USGS in Wyoming in 1982 when I came to Colorado for the very first tme and it looked like heaven to me then (I was living in Rock Springs in those days).

We may never fully leave now, but I'll be recreating elsewhere as much as possible from here on out. It is indeed a damn shame.

Last edited by Lloyd3; 01/04/24 06:10 PM.
1 member likes this: dogon
Sidelock
Sidelock

A good/sad documentary about this is “Rocky Mountain Heist”.

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
I was working for the USGS in Wyoming in 1982 when I came to Colorado for the very first tme and it looked like heaven to me then (I was living in Rock Springs in those days).

As a former Wyoming resident as well, there are a lot of places that look heavenly compared to Rock Springs. 😉

Last edited by FallCreekFan; 01/04/24 12:57 PM.

Speude Bradeos
2 members like this: Lloyd3, dogon
Sidelock
Sidelock

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Sidelock
Sidelock

So how about RUSSIA Lloyd3?
Mostly white people except for a few million pesky Mongols,
Grouse hunting in the northern climes,
Taimen fishing in the far east of the country..
And anyone who exposes liberal values that you despise, are locked up for long prison sentences!
and Putin just made it easier to become a citizen.
What’s not to like?

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hunting and fishing all the time is exhausting.
Moving to a new town, no friends, no family, no connection, only works for the gregarious.
I fail to see the appeal to so many, and just write it off as wishful thinking.
Few actually do it.
You can’t live the life of a 35-year-old with a 65-year-old body.

I am reminded of the story of a relatively young military retiree, who exhaustively searched the country for the best bird hunting, because that was his passion, and upon discharge he moved his wife and kids to a rural community in southern Idaho.

For all kinds of reasons, that didn’t last long.
It’s gotta work for everyone.

I don’t even know how you would go about finding a doctor that took Medicare in some of the northern Michigan communities when GPs are in such short supply in the rural communities.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
Hunting and fishing all the time is exhausting.
Moving to a new town, no friends, no family, no connection, only works for the gregarious.
I fail to see the appeal to so many, and just write it off as wishful thinking.
Few actually do it.
You can’t live the life of a 35-year-old with a 65-year-old body...

Oh, I don't know. I was up on our new property meeting with contractors to begin from scratch again, building house, barn, shop, and pastures.

It's a journey. I'm looking forward to it.

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nirvana? I know exactly what you guys are talking about!! There's nothing like the feeling of reeling in a monster like this bad boy that I drug out of the water last year!!

Last edited by Jimmy W; 01/14/24 10:29 AM.
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I moved to a smallish town with my wife so far it's great bought a little property the only problem is how many people are moving here now I love the isolation no neighbors to have to make small talk with.my idea of heaven

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.