May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, ClapperZapper, earlyriser, CJ Dawe, 2 invisible), 588 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,501
Posts545,496
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks @damascus for the clarification. Strangely, clocks (particularly early electric clocks, Synchronome etc) are also one of my other interests. I have not use the dial filling 'wax' and had not ever thought to fill engraving on a gun (thoiugh I have rubbed chalk into proof marks to get a decent photo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good to see another Clock person here.
The photographs are of a "Matthaus Hipp Toggle electric clock "I built made entirely from scrap materials to see how low a cost you could build a time piece. The case was once a Mahogany door, glass from a failed double glazing unit, the Mercury came from a now defunct Chlorine plant, Brass from a local scrap metal merchant, Electrical components all from scrap industrial equipment. The most expensive items at the time where the four new Alkaline 'D' cells depending on the manufacturer keep it ticking seconds for between eighteen months and two years. It did keep me occupied in my workshop for a little over a year, it eventually turned out looking so good I decided to put a passing hour strike on a ex telephone bell and keep it rather than putting it up for sale. To keep it company I restored a "Fortin Barometer" found as a box of pieces.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
5 members like this: David Williamson, Tim Cartmell, earlyriser, graybeardtmm3, FallCreekFan
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. I have sent a p.m. as we are rather 'off topic' here for a Double Gun forum, but I have 3 x Hipp toggle clocks. I also have a Fortin barometer by Griffin & George (Darton).

Sidelock
Sidelock

I actually find this mention of clock restoration highly interesting. J.C. Reilly was a member of the clock-makers guild up to 1828. He and Joseph Lang were also silversmiths. There must be something compatible amongst these skills; these artisans called themselves “whitesmiths” at the time.

Baluch are not Brahui, Brahui are Baluch
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am sure we all know that the original gun mechanisms where made by Lock Smiths hence the name a gun Lock. My understanding as a clock maker is that as guns locks where required to become faster in operation at the same time becoming more complicated and compact, Clock Makers had the skill and in a way the mechanical means to produce an individual quality faster before the introduction of mass production, though they where still slow because each individual part had to be fitted and made to work correctly also another reason Clock Makers were also skilled in the working of wood and engraving, so a good all round skilled craftsman.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

The great Joseph Manton built a clock to compete for the "longitude prize" https://collections.museumsvictoria.com.au/items/404502.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.