April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (ClapperZapper, Hoot4570, CJF, campero, FelixD, 2 invisible), 998 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,476
Posts545,181
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#640705 01/12/24 01:14 PM
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Hi all,

I am a brand new member, and this is my first post; trying my best to do this correctly. Looking for a 410 side-by-side and hoping to find the following:

1. Right-hand cast, 14 1/4-5/8 (or close) LOP, Comb 1 1/2
2. Barrel length 28"+, choked F/F or M/F
3. Double Trigger
4. Ejectors
5. English Stock
6. Matte Finish
7. Lean toward an English or possibly a German build

Not sure if it is helpful but this gun will be a high-volume shooter. Thank you for taking a look at my post.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Welcome to the Forum.

English SxS .410s tend to have been built for boys and to be overly light for serious or high volume shooting.

I would suggest a second hand AyA No. 3 (non-ejector) or No. 4 ejector , or a new B. Rizzini BR550 which would probably be cheaper.

Go to YouTube TGS Outdoors “I didn’t know I needed this gun” for the AyA, and Roy Martin Gunsmith for his recent .410 videos on the Rizzini .

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can go to Upland Gun Company's website and build one the way you want it.
I have a 16ga and have a 28ga on order.

My wife lets me buy all the guns I can hide.
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thank you for the welcome and the feedback. I don't necessarily disagree with you on the English gun commentary. However, I've shot a few Francottes and a Purdey that ran right around 5 lbs and were a joy to shoot and shove rounds through. One of the reasons I mentioned German as well is the Merkel's tend to be a bit heavier, coming in around 5.5 lbs or so. Certainly aren't the weight of a Rem 1100 or Model 42 which I love to use in the field.

That being said I've got my head wrapped pretty strongly around getting one to use regularly. It could well end up like my Model 21 20 ga which I drooled over for years. Once I purchased, I discovered I couldn't stand it, still disappointing.

Thanks again for the response. I will definitely take a look at the Rizzini. Funny that you bring up AYA, I've owned a few and like them. There is a fantastic AYA deluxe 410 double barrel set on Guns International at the moment that fits almost all the requirements other than the choking.

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I have an Italian FAIR Iside Tartaruga Gold .410 S X S ejector with 30" barrels that I ordered to my specs a few years ago, that can be bought. !.42" DAC, 2.28" DAH, 14.5" LOP.

I'm a big fan of the .410 and own several doubles. I need to thin the herd, so to speak, and this one just doesn't get used as much as it should. I'm a bit long-necked and it is stocked just a hair too high for me (DAH). Almost perfect, condition-wise. Very nice gun.

If you're interested contact me via the private message feature here.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was going to mention my great AYA #2 .410 until I saw that retail prices have gone from $2500 to over $9000 in the short years since I sold them in a store where I worked. My choice for a heavy duty .410 is my 30" Iver Johnson Skeeter, going to Stan Hillis if he survives me. I'm also a bit partial to my VH .410 Parker that is probably the best Del Grego restoration of a field grade gun I have ever seen. My ,410 Field Grade L.C.Smith was sold to a good shooting buddy who just had to have it. It is the gun I used in a pheasant shoot, going 26 straight with a 28 gauge partner. We both shot 13X13 missing one that was picked up by a backup shot by our partner. My .410 was modified and full, shooting 3" 7 1/2 and 6, and my partner's 28 Beretta had skeet chokes. He figured that out after the hunt was over. I had never shot birds with this friend and he surprised me, especially the pickup shot after I emptied my gun on a big cock and he shot it dead at about 40 yards. The Purdey sounds interesting, and would be my choice.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am just starting down the path of exploring the 410. I used a friends O/U and liked it so much I bought a pair of sidekick tubes from Briley. Getting shells might be harder than finding the right gun. The bad influence that started me on this path shoots almost exclusively 410 and they run from a Pigeon gr 21, Parker, Perazzi, Italian hammer etc. The only one he doesn't shoot exceptionally well is an English hammer gun that weighs nothing. I passed on a English sidelock sidelever at the last Vintagers that if I see again will buy. My rule is if I can't shoot it well it goes down the road but that 410 is so cool . Good luck on your quest

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have an Ugartechea (from Aspen Outfitters) that was marked IC/Mod on the box, but mics closer to M/F. Worth considering one of those, if you can find one.

Last edited by Replacement; 01/15/24 06:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have a Smith ejector 410 for sale. It is restored and restocked English.

RJackGarrett
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted by rjack
I have a Smith ejector 410 for sale. It is restored and restocked English.

What are the dimensions?

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.