May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (gasgunner, Jtplumb, Gunning Bird, SKB, bsteele, MattH), 492 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,417
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm finishing up restoring a Savage Fox Model B. Several years ago a friend at our local shooting club commented that he wished I'd find him a nice old serviceable double 12 for "no mucho dinero". Awhile later my wife's uncle called to say that he had a nice old double that was going to be auctioned in his upcoming antiques auction, and asked if I'd like to look at it. I said "Yes", of course. It was indeed a little used, but a bit neglected, Model B. No cracks, pits or any other pitfalls. I bought it for $400 and sold it for the same amount to my friend.

Fast forward to year before last. I came in from the field one day and my wife met me with the news that a very nice, white-haired gentleman had come by while I was working and left a gun. He had decided he didn't need the double anymore and wanted me to have it, free of charge. I've just finished putting a sanded-in finish on it. When it gets sufficiently dried for shipping I will send the buttstock and fore-end off to my checkering lady in MT to be recut. All I'll have in it is some time and the cost of re-cutting the checkering. Maybe a bit more costly than chips or a cheeseburger, but "no mucho dinero, tampoco".

May God bless America and those who defend her.
2 members like this: keith, Parabola
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
I love a bargain and field grade SxS are there already. The only limiting factor is the cost of importing them. A 300 pound buy ($381.27), plus 25% to Holt's is a 375 pound invoice, which equals $476.59 and then quickly becomes a $1000 plus gun by the time you get it in hand. So cheap gun buys are relative and you need to take in the final total price including shipping. 300 pounds becomes $1,000.00 which is tripled, but a 1,000 pound gun ($1,270.90) only cost about a $2,100.00 total. Auction premium, taxes and importing drives up the final cost. So hear 300 pounds but know in you head that 300 is $1,000.00 in the end.

So tell us this... with such high importing fees apparently costing more than the entire cost of an English field grade gun plus the auction fees, wouldn't you think that people who do Free Advertising of that costly import service in their tag-lines here should have the integrity to pay Dave the customary $12.00 fee for each and every transaction???

I mean, if a guy who sells a shotshell reloader or one who is renting lodgings at his bird hunting bunkhouse is expected to pay Dave this fee, why would other "special people" feel they are exempt? Why should some people happily pay Dave for the privilege of selling their things here, while a few apparent Freeloaders take advantage by using Dave's forums to run endless Free Advertisements for importing services, refurbished bird guns, gunsmithing classes, gunsmithing services, etc.???

BTW Jon, you probably shouldn't complain about the costs of buying, auction fees, importing costs, and taxes, or you may find someone here accusing you of making a weekend rant and having a meltdown.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: SKB
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Rant on you crazy diamond! wink

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by keith
$2.00 for a working firearm is a pretty good buy. My best gun buy was even cheaper, and purely accidental.

Some years back, my wife bought a baby grand piano from the estate of a co-worker's mother. I was going to enlist a few buddies to help me move it, but I decided to hire a moving company to bring it home. Good decision, because the pros have all the equipment to make it almost effortless. That weekend, they were having an auction to sell off the other contents of the house. So she wanted us to go to the auction so she could make sure her piano wasn't damaged by the auction crowd. I had wanted to go hunting that day, but since the weather was going to be very warm, I reluctantly decided to go to the auction.

I registered to bid, and bought some gardening tools, etc. Near the end of the sale, I paid for my purchases and took my tools to my truck. When I got back, my wife told me she bought one more item. I asked her what she bought, and she said while I was gone, they auctioned off all of the items on the back wall of the garage, and the contents of the workbench. Nobody else bid, so she bought it all for $1.00. I was kind of annoyed, because I hadn't seen anything there I really wanted. I paid the dollar, and decided to look through the junk to see if there was anything useful. I boxed up about 40-50 lbs. of nails, screws, nuts, bolts, hardware, and several hand tools. Not bad, so far. Then I looked under the workbench and grabbed what at first felt like a length of pipe wrapped in an old bath towel.

The "pipe" was actually the barrel of a Stevens Crackshot .25 rimfire rifle. The gun was in very nice condition overall. All of the metal was coated with grease, so no rust. Most of these old single shots have pitted barrels from neglect and old corrosive ammo. But the bore also had a heavy coating of grease, so it was in perfect condition. I had thought about just walking away and leaving it all behind. I'm glad I didn't.
U
Unfortunately many British shooters have become convinced that you can not hit thee side of a barn at three feet unless you have at least 30 inch barrels . Even then you may miss and would really need 32 0r 34 in barrels to do so at such a range .As a result 26" & 28" guns are virtually non sellers ,some shops wont take them in part ex or buy them .So they go to auction and people buy them for nothing and tell you what great shooters they are . Strange .

Last edited by gunman; 01/28/24 09:54 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith, prices are what they are but when buying things like guns, at auction, overseas you need to look at the total picture. Not just the low winning bid price. If you look at what you can buy at auction for £300 you will see a gun you will be hard pressed to find in the US for less than $1,250-1,500.00. But to be fair that £300 win is going to be a £850-900 gun by the time you get it. So there is a little cushion in the price. And one in ten guns listed are a steal, being lost in the crowd they are a bit hard to find. I bought near mint condition AYA Model 4, in 12, 16 & 20, that cost me less than a grand after importing which are steals.

I also have bought several central vision and crossover guns for display and just to play around with at the Skeet club or Sporting Clays. Those are impossible to find in the US. If you want a challenge shoot a round of Skeet with a crossover gun. I just wish these guns could give the the story they have seen. Were they made for a person with a master eye problem or for someone who lost and eye in the War? My theory is the low grade ones, which often are well used, were for working people with master eye problems and have seen a full lifetimes use, but the mid grade ones were for War vets because they tend to have much less use and are much better taken care of in general. But who knows.

And to your constant digging, what is the point? The owner of the board seems to not mind, so why should you? His site, his rules, as he chooses to enforce them. Please end the personal attacks. They add nothing to the board and run others off because they just tire of them because they have been so useless. Hope your year is better that the last three have been. Less than a year to go on FJB. I hope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

[/quote]
U
Unfortunately many British shooters have become convinced that you can not hit thee side of a barn at three feet unless you have at least 30 inch barrels . Even then you may miss and would really need 32 0r 34 in barrels to do so at such a range .As a result 26" & 28" guns are virtually non sellers ,some shops wont take them in part ex or buy them .So they go to auction and people buy them for nothing and tell you what great shooters they are . Strange .[/quote]

The exact same thing happens here, Graham. Once, short barrels were very fashionable, now, they are hard to sell.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
The exact same thing happens here, Graham. Once, short barrels were very fashionable, now, they are hard to sell.

Gun writers catering to sporting arms industry. After a certain time of acceptance it sells new guns to convince the market that what they have is not the latest and greatest. Example .......the endless stream of new centerfire calibers.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think we should just be happy and entertained that younger guy has enough interest to do what he's doing

2 members like this: BrentD, Prof, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
Keith, prices are what they are but when buying things like guns, at auction, overseas you need to look at the total picture. Not just the low winning bid price. If you look at what you can buy at auction for £300 you will see a gun you will be hard pressed to find in the US for less than $1,250-1,500.00. But to be fair that £300 win is going to be a £850-900 gun by the time you get it. So there is a little cushion in the price. And one in ten guns listed are a steal, being lost in the crowd they are a bit hard to find. I bought near mint condition AYA Model 4, in 12, 16 & 20, that cost me less than a grand after importing which are steals.

I also have bought several central vision and crossover guns for display and just to play around with at the Skeet club or Sporting Clays. Those are impossible to find in the US. If you want a challenge shoot a round of Skeet with a crossover gun. I just wish these guns could give the the story they have seen. Were they made for a person with a master eye problem or for someone who lost and eye in the War? My theory is the low grade ones, which often are well used, were for working people with master eye problems and have seen a full lifetimes use, but the mid grade ones were for War vets because they tend to have much less use and are much better taken care of in general. But who knows.

And to your constant digging, what is the point? The owner of the board seems to not mind, so why should you? His site, his rules, as he chooses to enforce them. Please end the personal attacks. They add nothing to the board and run others off because they just tire of them because they have been so useless. Hope your year is better that the last three have been. Less than a year to go on FJB. I hope.

Jon, I appreciate the reply. I totally understand the fact that a large part of the cost of these overseas gun buying is the import fees. That's precisely why I find it objectionable that someone who advertises that service here apparently refuses to pay Dave the $12.00 fee for each and every sale made as a result of those continual Free Advertisements.

Reluctance to pay might be understandable if he/she was only making a couple bucks, but it appears that there is considerable money changing hands, and business is booming.

Originally Posted by SKB
billie, you underestimate things. I imported way, way more than 4 guns for board members this shipment, by several fold.

I'd ask you if you were one of those members here who used that importation service, but we both already know the answer to that. So could this be a case of, "We cheat the other guy (Dave), and pass the savings on to you."?

You ask why I belabor this point about the Free Advertisers, and their apparent refusal to pay Dave the required $12.00 fee for each and every sale. That's easy to answer. I repeat it because nothing has changed. As I have shown, one of them has even added an additional business venture to his/her Free Advertising campaign. People who b1tch and complain about rules violations here shouldn't feel they are exempt from the rules Dave sets. But they do feel exempt, and even brag about it.

As you can see from my last post, SKB gave it a "Like", and has also "Liked" other posts I have made about the same subject matter. So I have to assume at least one Free Advertiser is happy about me doing this.

You say you have a Dental practice. Would it be OK if some local pizza shop or funeral home just decided to put up a sign advertising their business on the sign post in the parking lot of your Dentist office? How about some local businesses posting Free Advertisements right on your building or in the patient waiting area? What would it hurt?

A better question is, who in their right mind would even have the gall to do something like that at your private enterprise?

You are a rural landowner, and I am a rural landowner. I know from your posts that you have had to deal with trespassers and poachers. So have I, and I see a lot of similarities between this Free Advertising without payment and the activities of trespassers and poachers. Both know what they are doing is wrong and violates rules and standards. Both are using or taking a resource that doesn't belong to them. If you saw a poacher shooting doves or ducks on your neighbors land, I'll bet you would think it's wrong and say something about it. You would probably even notify your State's "Turn In Poachers (T.I.P.) Line", just as I would do, even if my neighbor wasn't aware of the poaching or trespassing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We certainly wouldn't make excuses for it. So why would we bother getting involved, and complain about someone illegally taking that resource? The good Lord makes more doves and ducks every day. They are nowhere near extinct. What's the harm? And that trespassing poacher might even be eating that ill-gotten game, instead of profiting from it like our Free Advertisers. Well, we would say it's still wrong because it diminishes the resource for those who are actually paying the bills to preserve and protect that resource for everyone. In the same vein, it isn't fair that those who do pay Dave the required $12.00 fee for all sales done from advertising here should carry the load and subsidize those Tagline Poachers who are making substantial profits on a larger scale. If they see others not playing by the rules, how long will it be until some of them decide to do the same?

As to your assertion that me repeating this refrain "adds nothing to the board and runs others off...", I find that both disingenuous and hilarious. Disingenuous because we know that one Free Advertiser here has made repeated negative comments and insults concerning Ed's integrity, in addition to engaging in personal attacks, doxxing, etc. And you have never once asked him/her to stop for the sake of the board, or worried about him/her potentially running off sensitive thin-skinned guys. That observation goes for a number of people who have made the same tired complaint. The repeated assertions about the hordes of overly sensitive types that are allegedly being run off by me, and nobody else is what I find to be hilarious. Really, I find it absurdly funny that a grown man could be so traumatized by some bantering they see on their computer monitor, that they have to run off in tears to some internet Safe Space. If it is seriously that bad, they really need to lay off the hormone laced chicken and get their estrogen levels checked. I see quite a few things here I find personally offensive, beginning with shooters who support anti-gun Democrats. But for some reason, I have not been compelled to run off. BTW, Dittos on your hope that Biden gets the boot. He belongs in prison long before simply getting voted out.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: SKB
SKB Online Content
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Epic meltdown, this one has been going on for over a week now. Bravo!!

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.