April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Craigster, Fudd, ClapperZapper, Chad Linder, Argo44, earlyriser), 471 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,154
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#641436 01/28/24 05:13 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For various reasons, I went to a local gun show yesterday. First time in years. I was somewhat stunned by the quality of the guns there. No, it wasn't spectacular by any means, but that there was even one interesting gun or guns just there to show and not sell, was a first in decades for me. There were cased Parker repros, some other CSMC guns, a Merkel or two, and the usual rabble of lower grade American doubles. There was a guy who specialized in Ohio muzzleloaders. He had a table full of them just to show and chat about. A few were pretty rough in spots, but he would point out some still well-preserved features that were unusual and showed excellent craftsmanship.

Overall, the ratio of black walnut to black guns was far above what I expected, even if they weren't all collectors guns. I bought only a few reloading handtools, but it was still worth my time to see these and some old lever guns.

There was one gun, however, that stood out above the rest, and the seller/owner was more than happy to let me snap a pic and then gave me a link to some more pictures on line. I thought a few of you here might appreciate it.

This is a 20 gauge singleshot. The weight I disremember, but it was well under 5 lbs. The gun has double set triggers and the barrel's serial number is 1 more than the action serial number, which lead the seller to speculate that there is a second barrel out there, almost certainly a rifle barrel. Sounded reasonable to me. In any event, a beautiful gun with wonderful metal to wood fit, spectacular engraving with silver wire inlay, and fabulous condition (minus the underlever).

I held the gun to inspect and thought hard about what I could do with it. Hunt turkeys? I don't know if would be up to that. But what a great piece of work.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@soundco.org/ssl/0321auctions/Sempert_Krieghoff/index.html

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

1 member likes this: Hammergun
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for posting this.

What is under the forend? Is that how you break the action?

- NDG

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Nudge
Thanks for posting this.

What is under the forend? Is that how you break the action?

- NDG

That is the underlever that swings to the side and opens the action. It is not quite right. It's the one imperfection on the gun but it looks like it would be very easy to repair. The action locks up snug as a bug in a rug, but the lever stands away from the action and there is a crack in the horn. In looking it over, it appeared that a new piece of horn needs to be carved and that would be very simple.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Horn bends very easily. You might try putting the lever in some near boiling water for a minute or so then slowly bending to fit. Might take a few tries but even easier than making a new lever.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hammergun
Horn bends very easily. You might try putting the lever in some near boiling water for a minute or so then slowly bending to fit. Might take a few tries but even easier than making a new lever.

No doubt, but it's not my gun, and there is a significant crack in the horn. I think replacement is warranted. In this case, the lever is pretty simple and not ornately carved, so replacement would be an easier option than on some other guns that I have seen.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

The National Gun Day gun show in Louisville, Kentucky will be on February 24th and 25th. It is just not quite as big as it used to be. And the amount of the quality of guns have gone downhill in the past several years. It's hard to find a gun show anymore that isn't full of t-shirts, coins and other non- gun related items. Glad you enjoyed yourself, BrentD.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The gun is well Engraved in the continental style. Though must it come with the trigger guard re alignment tool that is also capable of bruising the stock on the side nearest the table, though the tool is a more bespoke appetence than you normally see.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Recently attended the gun show in Raleigh. There was more cheap jewelry, gutter guards, beef jerky, "custom" mail boxes, over priced ammo, women's purses and other assorted junk than quality guns. Very disappointing. A true waste of time. Makes me really look forward to the Southern SxS.

Sidelock
Sidelock

We used to have a pretty decent local gun show. We hadn't had one in over a year and I checked to see why. The last one had a couple of surprises. The deputy checking to be sure guns brought in by the guests were unloaded screwed up and fired a bullet into the table he was sitting at. Then an exhibitor somehow accidentally fired his personal carry gun into the crowded room. Even though nobody was hurt, the City decided no more gun show for a while...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
We used to have a pretty decent local gun show. We hadn't had one in over a year and I checked to see why. The last one had a couple of surprises. The deputy checking to be sure guns brought in by the guests were unloaded screwed up and fired a bullet into the table he was sitting at. Then an exhibitor somehow accidentally fired his personal carry gun into the crowded room. Even though nobody was hurt, the City decided no more gun show for a while...Geo

The one gun club I belong to doesn't permit bullets in the building at their shows. Even for carry concealed. You have to be a member to attend their shows. You automatically lose your membership if you bring ammo inside. Even in the lobby. No t-shirts, coins or anything other than guns or gun paraphernalia either. One show I went to years ago had Buffalo Jerky cooking. Geez, did that stuff ever stink. Smelled liked they were cooking the fur. frown I went to a show up in Dayton, Ohio years ago and a gun went off during the show. The bullet went zinging across the room and into the wall about three feet above some exhibitor's head while he was leaning back against the wall. A woman was showing someone her loaded .25 automatic pistol and pulled the trigger. That was before they started checking guns. That exhibitor told me that was the second time a bullet had gone into the wall near him at a gun show.

Last edited by Jimmy W; 02/03/24 11:33 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.