Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hammergun
In defense of old Jack, when he was trained there was no TIG or laser welding so he had to be a bit of a blacksmith.
Curious, TIG welding was invented in the 1940's. Just how old IS this "Jack" fellow?.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jack has been dead since 2015:

https://shootingsportsman.com/john-frederick-jack-rowe-1936-2015/

He apprenticed at Wright’s, and, I’m guessing he wouldn’t do the punch methods of repair to English best guns, in England. He fixed guns here in the states, and dealt with more run of the mill stuff.

TIG welding, as applied to soldered and brazed gun barrels is a more recent phenomenon.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: mc
Sidelock
Sidelock

the thing that is most striking for me when i watch one of jack's midway tutorials....is the simple confidence and economy of motions....born of 50 years on the bench.

best regards,

tom

"it's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards."
lewis carroll, Alice in Wonderland
3 members like this: FelixD, mc, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

https://www.microprecisionwelding.com/
Tony knows his stuff. I've never had him do work on a hinge pin but bet he could. He's done other work for me- superb.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

1932-2015

Reidy Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I took my Boswell to a local gunsmith to check out the loose action. He commented that the degree of movement when the gun barrels are moved laterally with the forend off is quite minimal. Considering the amount of use I give the gun, he said it will be many years before it becomes an issue. He suggested using light trap ammunition as a means of extending its life further and applying grease to the hinge pin. He replaced both firing pin springs as I've had an occasional misfire, mainly when using reloads. The original box lock springs were considerably more closed at the open end compared to the new ones he fitted. Thanks to all for your input.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Reidy,
It sounds like your Boswell will be back in action. That’s good news. I see you are in Australia, so a welder in the United States is probably not an option. however, for the group here, I wanted to give a second note of support for Toni at Micro Precision Welding. He has done a few jobs for me. His attention to detail is meticulous and he is super professional.

Best regards,

Larry

Sidelock
Sidelock

The best way to check if the gun is tight on face, is to see if it closes on a one thousandth inch (.001") feeler gauge.
If it does, it's off the face, and needs a rejoint. It will get worse quickly - everything has a run at each other.
Modern "light" trap loads are usually way over pressure for an older double gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As noted previously we do have a tendency to judge the way repairs where done in the past from our modern standpoint of todays technology, this being rather unfair and rather condescending. In the photograph is the barrel lump section of a 12 bore double barrel shotgun at the time it was off the face when the repair showing was undertaken. This curved punch repair was done by a high standing gunmaker and gunsmith Samuel Ebrall. At the time this form of repair to put the gun back on face was completely acceptable because over the years I have seen many guns with these curved punch marks on the barrel hook.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
6 members like this: FelixD, Parabola, Mark II, Hammergun, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not sure if it was the case in England, but, a gun that was broken or unusable, circa 1930-1938 might have put a rural family that much closer to starvation here in the states. “Farmstead Repairs” were a thing, and the owner probably didn’t care if the screw slot was perfect when he got the gun back together, as long as it worked, and might provide a bunny or two to supplement his larder.

My Dad had chores that involved pan fishing and squirrel hunting several times a week. They were not negotiable. It was expected. Squirrels could be sold at the farmers market, a dressed pair brought two bits. Fur had to be on the tree rats, as unscrupulous folk would slip a house cat in to the mix.

Things were much closer to the bone, in that era.

Best,
Ted

3 members like this: mc, Parabola, LeFusil
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.