May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R Reynolds, Argo44, NCTarheel, canvasback, Robert Hudson), 1,044 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,503
Posts545,533
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#643276 02/28/24 11:20 PM
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

What a cool shotgun. Four barrels, 20 gauge Charles Lancaster shotgun. Only way to make it cooler would be to make it a side lever. Holt's lot number 1556. Sadly I wont be bidding on it at 12-16,000 pounds. I wish I was.
https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...324+++1556+&refno=213899&image=8
[Linked Image from holtsauctioneers.com]

2 members like this: David Williamson, Stanton Hillis
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel that Lancaster is a severely undervalued maker, he had his own style, was extremely innovative and the quality is just top-notch. The four barrel guns are amazing. It must have been interesting getting the patterns to regulate.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Doesn't say exactly but I wonder if, after firing two barrels with the front trigger, the rear one must be pulled to re-cock the action for the other two?

Most amazing to me is the weight, 7/7, with 28" barrels.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think the rotary system fired the barrels in order, needing to be cocked by the rear trigger in between shots. Like a double action pistol with the rear trigger doing the cocking and the front firing the gun. Sounds complicated but this example is 140 years old and still works. With the right geometry the cocking should be a reasonable effort. Front trigger pull 3.5, rear trigger 5-6 pounds type difference. The other multiple barreled (4) Lancaster I recall was choke all four barrels choked modified so order of firing is not a big consideration. On a driven shoot I expect this gun would be a lot of fun to use. As long as cocking was not that difficult. But I’ll never know.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Was that intended to be used/hunted or was it a display of design and manufacturing capability? Built just because...why not, it's cool and we can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Impressive. I wouldn't want to have to explain it to a game warden.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
KY Jon Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I think the other one I saw, more than ten years ago, had a ring trigger. I thought it was a double action type trigger like on many pistols. Pulling it cocked it and then pulling it further tripped it to strike the primer. As to game wardens it would be a simple thing to block one chamber off to be legal. If my good friend Stan would buy this for his farm use, I’m sure I’d get plenty of opportunities to use this double-double and understand its operation more clearly. At 7 pounds, 7 ounces I expect it swings well with most of the weight between the hands.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by RyanF
Was that intended to be used/hunted or was it a display of design and manufacturing capability? Built just because...why not, it's cool and we can.

Probably intended for driven bird shooting, as KyJon speculates. A hunter could fire four shots before needing to reload. It could be the origin of the term" Game Hog". Naturally, it would cost more due to the greater difficulty in building, and the more complicated firing mechanism. At 7 lbs. 7 oz., I'd guess the barrel and chamber wall thicknesses of the 4 barrels might cause some here to swoon. But surely it passed proof.

This is the first four barreled English shotgun I've seen, but four barreled guns were more common in Germany, Austria, and other parts of Europe. The 4 barrel guns from Germany were called Vierlings. 3 barrel guns are Drillings, and they are fairly common. 5 barrel guns are called funflings. They were built in all manner of barrel configurations. Some were all shotgun barrels, but most are some combination of shotgun and rifle barrels. A well heeled hunter could have a single gun that had shotgun barrels for birds, and also had a rimfire barrel for small game, and one or more centerfire barrels for deer, stags, wild boars, and other larger game. He could essentially shoot any game that might run or fly by, all with one gun.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

now we know why there are pump gons...

keep it simple and keep it safe...
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by KY Jon
I think the other one I saw, more than ten years ago, had a ring trigger. I thought it was a double action type trigger like on many pistols. Pulling it cocked it and then pulling it further tripped it to strike the primer. As to game wardens it would be a simple thing to block one chamber off to be legal. If my good friend Stan would buy this for his farm use, I’m sure I’d get plenty of opportunities to use this double-double and understand its operation more clearly. At 7 pounds, 7 ounces I expect it swings well with most of the weight between the hands.

Stan loads pretty hot stuff in his 20s when he shoots crows.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.