April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, Dan R, Marks_21, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 995 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,146
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by RARiddell
Bill still has a set of Parker barrels had them for about a year now. Hopefully this year he’ll get to them.

I wouldn't put up with that.
JR

If you know of anyone who is turning around quality restoration work quickly, please let us know.

Every smith I know, including myself is way behind. There are less folks out there offering up quality restoration work than in the past and demand for restoration is sky high. I have two safes full of work waiting to hit the que and entirely too many projects in process.

Bill does good work and his services are in demand, there are only so many hours in a day. I sent a fully prepped grip cap to Turnbull for case hardening not long ago, it took them almost four months and they have a shop full of craftsmen, Bill is one guy.

I'm all ears about these guys with a fast turn around....I'll start referring all the inquiries I am turning down to those guys.
Ok. Everyone has to decide what their tolerance for waiting is. There’s no substitute for good work, but some of the craftsmen are unapologetically slow, not saying Mr. Graham is. But I suspicion there are some out there who can be found with some phone calls and due diligence who are more expeditious. Not bothering with that myself though. Thanks.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm eagerly waiting on a gun that is being shipped today. It has a set of freshly re-finished Black & White laminated steel tubes (& I can't wait to see it again!). This one took a little longer (as the gun needed a fair-amount of other work and I wasn't in a hurry) but this fellow is normally pretty quick. I hesitate to even discuss this here as he's a great resource that I'm planning on using again. Since good doublegun gunsmiths are few and far-between these days it's becoming hard to share.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Both Bill Graham and Breck Gorman are great guys and great gunsmiths. I do not have personal experience with the others

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
I'm eagerly waiting on a gun that is being shipped today. It has a set of freshly re-finished Black & White laminated steel tubes (& I can't wait to see it again!). This one took a little longer (as the gun needed a fair-amount of other work and I wasn't in a hurry) but this fellow is normally pretty quick. I hesitate to even discuss this here as he's a great resource that I'm planning on using again. Since good doublegun gunsmiths are few and far-between these days it's becoming hard to share.

Geez Lloyd selfish much?

Haha JK...

1 member likes this: Bill Graham
Sidelock
Sidelock

battle: Well...I will ask him about how much work he's willing to take-on these days (after this next little project of mine).

If he's game to to do more, then I'll share.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by SKB
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by RARiddell
Bill still has a set of Parker barrels had them for about a year now. Hopefully this year he’ll get to them.

I wouldn't put up with that.
JR

If you know of anyone who is turning around quality restoration work quickly, please let us know.

Every smith I know, including myself is way behind. There are less folks out there offering up quality restoration work than in the past and demand for restoration is sky high. I have two safes full of work waiting to hit the que and entirely too many projects in process.

Bill does good work and his services are in demand, there are only so many hours in a day. I sent a fully prepped grip cap to Turnbull for case hardening not long ago, it took them almost four months and they have a shop full of craftsmen, Bill is one guy.

I'm all ears about these guys with a fast turn around....I'll start referring all the inquiries I am turning down to those guys.

Bill Graham once spent a fair amount of time here asking questions in the Amateur Gunsmithing forum. Lately, mosts of his posts involve selling guns or parts in the For Sale forum, and I assume he pays Dave the $12.00 fee for successful sales of those items. I hear he does nice work, but have no personal experience or recommendations because I do my own gun work.

I wouldn't blame guys for getting upset about long waits for their guns if he or any other gunsmith was obviously busy spending a lot of time here, logging in multiple times a day to read and confront any posts from Conservatives or pro-Trump Republicans... as Stevie does. It would be even worse if they were complaining about a big backlog of unfinished work while doing Free Advertising in their tagline, and then doing weasel-like gymnastics to avoid answering questions about whether they paid Dave the $12.00 fee from sales resulting from Free Advertising of their business ventures... as we saw here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=643116&page=4

It was pretty nice to see Stevie's phony and disingenuous refusal to answer a couple simple questions by accusing me of wishing to play to the audience, and then doing exactly that with more insults and funny little memes. Stevie will say or do anything to avoid my simple questions. 100% weapons grade phony!

And it would be even worse if he was dragging his feet on customer's gun work while wasting even more time Spamming people behind the scenes with multiple personal attack PM's. I just got yet another such Spam PM from Stevie yesterday, and this one was also sent to Homeless jOe. Of course, I haven't opened it to read it, because I have notified Stevie that he/she should have the courage to post anything he/she has to say to me right here in the open.

jOe hasn't even posted here for awhile, but it appears Stevie wishes to Troll him into a response.

That's interesting and revealing behavior... coming from someone who has pretended to be above the fray, and innocent of the Trolling, personal attacks, and name calling that his/her pals often cry about. Thanks to Moderation, I think Dave has finally been able to see what Paul Harvey called, "the rest of the story."

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

1 member likes this: SKB
Sidelock
Sidelock

The pic that the Preacher posted of the late Brad Bachelder's barrel finishing room tells a little about his process.

It seems apparent that he wasn't using the very short rusting cycles that are recommended by some finishers. Some of the barrels have a pretty dark and even coat of rust, and it wouldn't be possible to apply rusting solution, boil, and card, and repeat that many barrels in a short cycle time. But he managed to do pretty nice work, and got good contrast on Damascus. I haven't seen any examples of the work from his shop since he passed away. That's a nice little assembly line process, and I'd imagine that doing a bunch at once would considerably cut down the average time it takes, versus doing one or two at a time. Waiting to accumulate enough work to do them in batches probably often contributes to the time customers wait. I wonder how many more might be outside the field of view. With careful prep and hand carding, rust bluing and browning is pretty labor intensive and time consuming. People who do it well seem to have no shortage of paying customers.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of my go to smiths died, his son is so swamped that I only use him for certain jobs. One thing he use to enjoy doing was making and engraving screws which he was very good doing, but last time I was in his shop he told another customer he was not interested in making over another set of screws for him. Turns out the fellow had all the screws replaced about five years earlier and buggered them all up again playing home gunsmith. Last time I was in his shop he had a full years worth of work on hand.

He had a Hoenig stock duplicator in the back room he has never set up which I was trying to buy from him. He has had it for about ten years, or maybe more and never has had time to set it up and learn how to use it correctly. It is a upgrade from my Gemini. In fact I think his father bought it just before he passed away. Might see if he wants to move on from it now. Like too many of us he is not getting younger and I think he has only a nephew showing interest in following along after he is done. Gunsmiths seem to age a twice the regular rate and get cranky at three times the regular rate.

2 members like this: Stanton Hillis, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
battle: Well...I will ask him about how much work he's willing to take-on these days (after this next little project of mine).

If he's game to to do more, then I'll share.

Don't do it Lloyd. Keep him to yourself. You can thank me later.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
2 members like this: Bill Graham, Stanton Hillis
Sidelock
Sidelock

What is more filled with peril, sharing your gunsmith or recommending a high dollar restaurant? I say the gunsmith. There are hundreds if not thousands of expensive restaurants in the country but less than a couple dozen, maybe less, top double gun smiths.

1 member likes this: Stanton Hillis
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.