April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Mark II, Hammergun, 1 invisible), 459 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever Chapter to which I belonged in Iowa sponsored every school trap team in the county. Also gave away a bunch of youth shotguns at the banquet. Like 20+.

That was Poweshiek County. Having Brownell's in our county was a big help.

Last edited by L. Brown; 03/13/24 06:12 AM.
1 member likes this: Jimmy W
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
The Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever Chapter to which I belonged in Iowa sponsored every school trap team in the county. Also gave away a bunch of youth shotguns at the banquet. Like 20+.

That's great. What county was it?

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by L. Brown
To swing back to the positive side of things: Those middle school and high school trap teams have another positive impact we haven't mentioned. Or potential impact. Assuming you have wild bird populations in your neighborhood, you can get together with Pheasants Forever/Quail Forever or maybe the Ruffed Grouse/American Woodcock Society and organize some hunts for the kids. I've run my dogs and guided on some of those hunts. We not only need more shooters. We also need more hunters. We may lose them temporarily (college, military, starting a family, starting a career) but they may very well return to the sport later. They are the future of hunting. We're doing better with women, and I think a lot of that is a result of the trap shooting. Guns in a school sponsored activity? I'm about half amazed we're getting away with it. But I'm glad. The school trapshooting is really big, all across the Midwest.

I don't think there is any doubt that the trap teams are getting more girls and women into guns and into the field. It has been a real game changer. I can imagine that the same might happen for rifle hunting if we could get air rifle teams or something like that going. But I think that is pretty rare at the high school level.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
I know that the fishing usually sucks, and if you want to go swimming, you can sometimes get an hour in near the pier on Stockton Island, in September, if the sun has been shinning to warm the water up a bit. I’m still the only guy I know who did an hour in the lake at that spot. I’d pay admission to see you fall in the lake, in your clothes, off the sailboat, that we chartered every summer up until 9/11. Or, out the back of my speedboat on a beer run to Bayfield, nicer town, better food, fewer slums, by the way.

I’m sure for an Iowan, Superior looks really beautiful, but, as lakes go, it offers less to do, and you better know what the hell you are doing if you are planning on boating on it. When they say they won’t find your body, they mean it.
If you want to actually use the lake, rather than sit on your ass and look at it, Rainy, Leech, Lake of the Woods, or the White fish chain in Wisconsin are better for almost anything I do on a lake, spring, summer, fall and winter. Hayward is a nice little town.

How many guns have you bought from the dealer in Gary/New Duluth?

Zero?

Best,
Ted

Haha! I've swam in the lake. It's not a big deal, but apparently, to you, it is. Bayfield is a nice place to visit. Not much to live in or near 365.25/year. I am sure you have touristed up there a lot. Many do. Living is another thing.

What I do up there is fish, hunt, hike some trails, whatever I want. While you sit and pout on your keyboard.

Ever do much climbing? Thought not.

Keep hammering on those better towns to live in on the lake. Bayfield won't cut it. Not by a long shot. You confuse your days as a tourist with a real living experience. You would not last 12 months in Bayfield. But what's stopping you?

You are bragging about the climbing you do in Minnesota?

Really?

Best,
Ted

nope, not bragging. Just figured, you having told us about the best towns on the lake (Bayport! crazy ), your swimming adventures in the lake, and everything else about Lake Superior, you would have free climbed all the routes on Palisades and Shovel Point, at least. And I have no doubt you are quite the ice climber too, right? Done it all, no doubt.

You got me on the sailboat. I don't own one (but then neither do you apparently). And don't worry about me falling off any boat (my name is not "Stan").

So, tell us more about your heroics on The Lake.

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

I know that the fishing usually sucks, and if you want to go swimming, you can sometimes get an hour in near the pier on Stockton Island, in September, if the sun has been shinning to warm the water up a bit. I’m still the only guy I know who did an hour in the lake at that spot. I’d pay admission to see you fall in the lake, in your clothes, off the sailboat, that we chartered every summer up until 9/11. Or, out the back of my speedboat on a beer run to Bayfield, nicer town, better food, fewer slums, by the way.

I’m sure for an Iowan, Superior looks really beautiful, but, as lakes go, it offers less to do, and you better know what the hell you are doing if you are planning on boating on it. When they say they won’t find your body, they mean it.
If you want to actually use the lake, rather than sit on your ass and look at it, Rainy, Leech, Lake of the Woods, or the White fish chain in Wisconsin are better for almost anything I do on a lake, spring, summer, fall and winter. Hayward is a nice little town.

Zero?

Best,
Ted

Haha! I've swam in the lake. It's not a big deal, but apparently, to you, it is. Bayfield is a nice place to visit. Not much to live in or near 365.25/year. I am sure you have touristed up there a lot. Many do. Living is another thing.

What I do up there is fish, hunt, hike some trails, whatever I want. While you sit and pout on your keyboard.

Keep hammering on those better towns to live in on the lake. Bayfield won't cut it. Not by a long shot. You confuse your days as a tourist with a real living experience. You would not last 12 months in Bayfield. But what's stopping you?

Really?

Best,
Ted

nope, not bragging. Just figured, you having told us about the best towns on the lake (Bayport! crazy ), your swimming adventures in the lake, and everything else about Lake Superior, you would have free climbed all the routes on Palisades and Shovel Point, at least. And I have no doubt you are quite the ice climber too, right? Done it all, no doubt.

You got me on the sailboat. I don't own one (but then neither do you apparently). And don't worry about me falling off any boat (my name is not "Stan").

Brent, do you ever STFU? 6,586 post of straight up hot trash.

1 member likes this: John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by LeFusil
Brent, do you ever STFU? 6,586 post of straight up hot trash.

To oblige you? Not a chance. I hardly compare to Ted's hot trash anyway. He produces far more waste. Why not whine about him?

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Just heard this from a buddy: more news from Minnesota, a bill has been introduced requiring a licenced painter to be present if you want to use solvent-based paint in a quantity greater than 1 gallon. Evidently, the husband of the Senate Majority Leader owns a painting business.

My little "piece-of-heaven" up there might not be so-much "heaven" much longer.
Solvent based? Is that like oil based? I always like water based paint. Easier to clean up. I've been doing a lot of painting the last couple of months. And I have a lot more to do this summer. I don't envy you any, Lloyd3. Good luck!!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Zero?

Best,
Ted

Really?

Best,
Ted

Lake Superior is not the place for heroics.

I have about a decade of crewing on 38-50’ sailboats rented out of Bayfield by a good friend who is a licensed charter boat captain. Less time doing the same thing in the Caribbean. I wasn’t paid for this, just considered the trip payment enough. I also tagged along with a different friend on several scuba/camping trips in his dive boat, a 24’ Lund Commander. You need a guy to stay topside with the boat and mind the lines around the wreaks these guy were interested in. We camped on Isle Royale on those trips, and spent 3 extra days on one trip weathered in on the island. There will be times you can’t get off Isle Royale. The harbor is rocky and treacherous as well. I also spent quite a few weekends dragging my little 19’ Larson up around the Apostles. The Larson had a 150 FICHT and would hit 60 on a good day, and, some days that doesn’t seem fast enough when you need to get to shelter, or, off the lake. I proposed to my wife on Madeleine Island. We had endured about 3’ rollers to get from Bayfield to La Point, and I wasn’t sure she would get back in the boat to go home. She did. When you are dragging your own boat, I’d advise you to stay out of Bayfield, and launch at Red Cliff. I left my car and trailer there many times over the years, never had a problem, and everything is cheaper.

We did have a guy fall off the sailboat while sailing in the main lake off Outer Island, he was in the lake maybe 3-5 minutes, and the Coast Guard guys on the radio figured he had less than 10 minutes of consciousness in those conditions. Humans don’t do well in 40 degree water. We got him in, but the captain had the Coasties on the horn immediately. You can swim at some of the beaches, but, the main body of the lake is a different deal. Most people aren’t able to survive falling into the lake without immediate help. You go into the lake in your clothes, out there, you are in serious trouble.The interactions I had with the Coast Guard really left me with the impression that they felt people were far, far too cavalier about boating on Lake Superior. The fishing is much better in Lake Michigan, but, nothing compares to Lake of the Woods for catching fish. I did quite well catching walleye’s in the St Louis river, and casting for northerns from shore where the river enters Lake Superior. If you wade in, you won’t be out there long.

There is only so much that you can use Lake Superior for. The inland lakes are manageable, warmer, easier to fish, boat and swim in.

I could live in Bayfield the rest of my life. I’d miss the pheasants, but, you don’t have to drive too far south and west to be in great grouse cover. The town of Superior is right down the road, anything I needed that I couldn’t get in Bayfield I could get there.
Duluth is just another decaying liberal town full of gang tag, bad roads at the expense of lefty pipe dreams like electric buses, and crummy housing, with the added bonus of steep roads that are tough to get around in the winter.
Sounds like you like it. Be careful when you go swimming.

Enjoy.

Best,
Ted

2 members like this: Lloyd3, John Roberts
Sidelock
Sidelock

Did the youngndum thing years back. The Isle Royale trip I did with a friend was a portaging deal. The interior of the park is a maze of small water, but to save time, we paddled across large bay mouths in quite open water, miles across. It was glass smooth conditions, but there was no one around if things went bad. We both felt the water, I didn't but my buddy jumped in one of the shallows, came running out immediately in August.

1 member likes this: Ted Schefelbein
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by craigd
Did the youngndum thing years back. The Isle Royale trip I did with a friend was a portaging deal. The interior of the park is a maze of small water, but to save time, we paddled across large bay mouths in quite open water, miles across. It was glass smooth conditions, but there was no one around if things went bad. We both felt the water, I didn't but my buddy jumped in one of the shallows, came running out immediately in August.

I’ve seen the “came running out” thing too many times to count. That isn’t “swimming” in my book.

Best,
Ted

1 member likes this: craigd
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.