April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (CJF, susjwp, Wild Skies), 1,303 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#644562 03/21/24 05:49 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Didn't want to hijack another thread-but my leather pad on my M-21 is getting ugly. Is Saddle soap good to use before applying more black shoe paste? What is the suggested protocol to get the gray spots on the cover looking better? Many thanks.

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hal,
Black shoe polish/cream is all I've ever needed on mine.
Karl

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I use something called Mr. Leather. It is hard to find, but it is sold in the automotive section at the auto stores. I first started using it on the dashboards and upholstery in my cars. It really makes leather and vinyl slick and shiny because it contains lanolin. I get it at Ace Hardward. Saddle soap should be okay if you can't find anything else. The lanolin is what makes leather really slick, though. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted by Hal M Hare
Didn't want to hijack another thread-but my leather pad on my M-21 is getting ugly. Is Saddle soap good to use before applying more black shoe paste? What is the suggested protocol to get the gray spots on the cover looking better? Many thanks.

Two products. They are both very similar and will nourish the leather and keep it supple. Clean the leather with a damp (water & very mild soap) clean cotton cloth, let it dry.

Obenaufs (my personal go-to leather product for everything leather except suede)

Skidmores. (I’ve used it on leather and it’s very good, it also doubles as a fantastic lube for wood screws!)

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The only problem is that if it doesn't have lanolin, it doesn't last. I used to use straight mink oil on leather items such as saddles and upholstery. I started using it on my dash boards and found it lasted longer than other leather products because of the lanolin. But it is really gooey and difficult to work with even though it outlasted just about anything else. That's when I discovered Mr. Leather. It shines up holsters and everything leather and is easier to work with. When I put it on my leather dash and car seats it will last out in the sun longer than anything else I have found.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for sharing your experience! Will proceed accordingly. Best wishes,

PULL!
Hal M. Hare
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rather than saddle soap for cleaning leather, a saddle maker told me to use Dove soap on leather goods. Gil

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

I'll put my two cents worth in for a product named Blackrock Leather 'N' Rich. Bill Murphy's friend Kevin McCormack repairs and resurrects leather gun cases. I sent him a couple and couldn't believe how much better they looked when they returned. I asked him what he used and that is the product he named. I've been using it ever since. It works wonders on old, dried leather.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackrock-Le...;hvtargid=pla-4583795274026272&psc=1

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It has been many years since I stopped taking notice of the "Leather Treatment" Manufacturers sales Hype. So for a very long time I have used on leather is what if you have a lady in you life uses on her hands, if no lady visit your local cosmetics store and purchase a mid price bottle of "Hand Cream" it has all the right things in the correct quantity to keep leather goods soft supple and at least shower proof. There is one small draw back with using hand cream the manufacturers do have a tendency to use girly smell additive, though the smell does not hang around for long. One hand product that is not so good for Leather this is for chapped and cracked skin very often sold as hard working hands cream. This product has a high level of Urea in the formulation, so basic human hand cream is best.

The only lessons in my life I truly did learn from where the ones I paid for!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Liquid black shoe polish with get the color back and freshen it up.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.