Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Are the telltale rings around the firing pins a good indicator of whether a shotgun has been fired or not?
How many fired shells does it take before those circles appear?
How do you know whether it's fired or unfired?

Sidelock
Sidelock

You really don't know. From a collector value stand point, if you can't tell, the the value is high. From a shooter point, the issue is not really unfired, but rather fired very little so that practically the gun has its whole life left.

Note that many guns are function fired, proof fired, and, on top end guns, fired for patterning. Proving a gun hasn't been fired since leaving the factory is most difficult and always open to question.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who cares?

As Rocketman says - a lot of guns were fires as part of the preparation for sale - to make sure they function properly and throw the right pttern to the right point of aim. A 'new' English sidelock or double rifle will have been fired dozens of times at least by the time the customer gets hold of it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I care, smallbore. In addition, it can be, I've been told, a positive value influencing factor.
Also, it astounds me when I come across something that just does not appear to be fired, and it is, say, approaching a hundred years of age. I want it to speak to me and tell me "Oh, yes, I've been fired; I've been handled & enjoyed many times; I am not one of those Closet-things". Or, "Come, be the first to appreciate me for what I am", as Rocketman says, "for a lifetime of use and enjoyment".

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great restoration of a gun in good shape or unfired. Who knows nowadays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As Mike points out, many guns are restored or refinished these days. In a lot of cases, only knowing that particular make/model/vintage extremely well, well enough to know polishing, colors, engraving, checkering, wood finishes, etc., will you be able to detect good refinishes/resto's. There are people out there studying how to do each process of finishing to exactly duplicate the original. So, detecting refinished guns can be a challenge for the buyer with casual interest in a particular model/make/vintage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

"Come, be the first to appreciate me for what I am"

Would you really want to own an unfired antique? Wouldn't shooting it be the highest crime one could commit among all the people obsessed with "original condition"?

Heck, I have enough trouble not peeking into my 90-yr old, sealed, 2-piece boxes of shotgun shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Who wants a 90 year old virgin. I would rather have two 45 year olds who have had fun. My purpose in life is not to collect rare guns and make sure that they stay pristine. Mine is to have fun with them which may make a few more well earned dings in them. Good for both of us.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No, no, no; I'm not talking "restoration" or camouflage. I'm looking at a 98 yr old shotgun that is not "screwed-with" at all; and wondering how to tell if she's even ever been fired. It's old, original, and maybe fired/ maybe not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

BBB what we are trying to tell you is that you will never know for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.