April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Karl Graebner, Fudd, jake van dyke, ClapperZapper, SKB, bushveld), 467 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,470
Posts545,149
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51540 08/07/07 12:12 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I read this all the time and I always think it sort the pig in a poke thing? Unless it is a collecter gun I want to shoot it at least a couple times just to check point of impact and see if the firing pins hit hard enough. Does it make any sense for buyer to accept this condition for a "shooter" gun?

Kurt

Sidelock
Sidelock

I kind of agree with you. I purchased a Nitro Lefever at Gander Mountain. The gun felt fine, looked good, super tight. But I couldn't hit a bull in the butt in a barn with that thing. It's not that I can't shoot, I shoot competition skeet fairly well. I don't want to spend a bunch to redo the stock, guess I will find it a new home. jd

Sidelock
Sidelock

Will Gander Mountain or Cabelas let you take out a gun and shoot it for p.o.i. or to see how the pins hit? Read the description and ask questions if it's notcomplete enough. If the gun is as described it's your baby after it arrives at your addy. Look at it from the seller's point of view. He advertsises a gun on this site and someone buys it then they want to return it because they can't hit targets with an unfamiliar gun and they invent an excuse. The seller takes it back and readvertises it. The same guys on the same website that saw it advertised the first time now wonder what'swrong with it and hardly any respond on the secnod time around. Guys who make a big deal over a gun that's worth a few hundred or so aren't worth the time to reply to. After a while a good seller can sort them out before making the deal.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Cabela's has a 30 day return policy on their used guns.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

That's my policy when I sell a gun. I have no control over the ammo put into it. Could be 3" mag in a damascus gun. Sorry if you buy one of mine you have 3 days to look it over but don't shoot it. I have taken a gun out that someone was interested in and shot it out my back door while on the phone. He knew that the firing pins worked anyway.

Last edited by Mike Harrell; 08/07/07 01:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I also have that policy AND also add a 'no turn-screw' requirement.. There are some a$$holes out there that are looking to swap/steal hard-to-find internal parts...not to mention bunging up screws/pins looking inside for wear,etc.....
Also snap caps can help tell alot about pin-hits.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I pretty much agree with Kurt and jd on this one. I also understand the concerns sellers have about what loads might be fired through some of our old guns. I think the best policy is to call the seller and discuss what you want to do. If, after you reassure him that you will only use low pressure loads, he still prohibits the POI test-firing, you can always walk away. As to buying a gun in person that doesn't fit you well, you shouldn't have bought it, IMO. I don't see that as legitimate grounds for returning it.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 08/07/07 02:21 PM.

> Jim Legg <

Personally I won't buy online without the right to fire the gun during inspection. I have had too many problems with things such as chokes not being as advertised, poor barrel regulation, pierced primers, etc. Also, I have found that the dealers or individuals who will allow the firing inspections tend to be good old boys who want you to be happy with your purchase. So I just decided that those are the guys I want to do business with. If I talk to a seller who seems to be overly worried about someone screwing him over, I take my business elsewhere.

PS. I should mention I only buy shooters, not collector guns or high end stuff, so firing a couple factory rounds of acceptable pressure for the gun won't hurt the value. I would definatly understand a non firing inspection on the expensive guns.

Last edited by tkunz; 08/07/07 06:29 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Doug Waterman
I also have that policy AND also add a 'no turn-screw' requirement.. There are some a$$holes out there that are looking to swap/steal hard-to-find internal parts...not to mention bunging up screws/pins looking inside for wear,etc.....
Also snap caps can help tell alot about pin-hits.

I can understand not wanting the local 'smith turning screws, thus my policy (discussed with sellers) of sending the gun to a doublegun 'smith of known skill. I generally use Paul Hodgins since he is near my home. If you won't let someone like Paul turn a screw on a gun, well then I'm not buying from you.

There is that little detail of implying I am a thief that kind of digs at my opinion too.

Mike
Sidelock
Sidelock

As a buyer of limited means who doesn't spend a great deal of money on any individual purchase (less than $1,000 and most often less than $500 per on mostly used firearms), I am fine with a 3 day visual inspection that does not involve tearing into the shotgun's action or allow for taking it out for shooting.

I view such purchases as if I had made them at a gun show and with the perspective of caveat emptor. Thus, if upon receipt there is something that would have made me put the firearm down at a gun show (pass on the deal), I would very likely send it back to the seller. This, however, in practice is often easier said than done, because even when faced with discovering some unknown flaws during an inspection period, I have found it hard not to want to overlook them and keep the gun!

On the other hand, if I were spending several thousand dollars on a firearm, I would feel very differently and I would want the right to fully inspect (including sending it to a mutually agreeable gun smith), and I would want to shoot the firearm to make sure I liked it enough to spend that kind of money.

Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.