April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, ClapperZapper, Jimmy W, SKB, MattH, 1 invisible), 956 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,171
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#51811 08/09/07 10:16 AM
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm hoping to obtain some good advice on whether to modify a Renato Gamba Hunter Special I picked up in January or sell it and look for something that fits me better.

After I bought this gun I realized the stock was cast on (I'm a tall, skinny, right hander - a big rooky mistake, not having purchased many used SxSs in the past). I sent the gun in to have the stock bent to cast neutral but it still shoots high and right.

At that point I decided I better have a gun fitting done rather than spending money foolishly trying to modify the gun without knowing where it actually should be. Here's what the fitting showed me. The Gamba has the following dimensions: LOP=14 7/8", Neutral cast, DAC 1 7/16", DAH 2 7/16".

Here's what I need: LOP = 15 1/8", DAC = 1 7/16", DAH = 2 5/8" DAF = @1 3/4" @ pitch or stand = 2" @ 4 degrees. 3/8" cast off.

I would obviously like to correct the point of impact as well as a cheek slap problem I have always had with all guns.

The gentleman that did the fitting suggested selling the gun and buying one that fits better. He wasn't sure he could bend the stock enough for my needed dimensions - something about the thru bolt design.

I like the gun but I'm not married to it. So my question is - should I modify it or sell it and buy something else?

P.S. If you suggest selling it I will need your input on it's value. I can't find information on the Hunter Special model. It has engraved side plates, 27 1/2" barrels, 12 gauge, monobloc, double triggers, Anson latch on forend, pistol grip, southgate ejectors and nicely figured wood.

Thanks!

Tom C

�There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.�
Aldo Leopold
Tom C #51819 08/09/07 11:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is an economics and time issue. I'd follow the fitter's advise and not try to bend more than the wood wants to. I think you might find you can have a new stock made to your dimensions from a decent piece of wood (don't shoot for the moon on your first one out - use it to learn) for an economical price. The compeating plan will be to sell your gun and buy a different one. Compare expected extra cash outlays between the two plans. A piece of plainish wood of good quality is not expensive and basic duplication, with sufficient overage for experimentaion is not all that bad.

If you haven't done so, I would add a spacer or two to lenghten the LOP to see if that lowers your POI.
You stated that the gun shoots high and right which would seem to indicate you need to move the "rear sight",your eye, lower and to the left.
A longer LOP should lower the POI as your cheek will contact the stock further to the rear, thus lowering youe eye.
If the gun continues to shoot to the right try putting a layer or two of moleskin on the left side of the stock to move your eye to the left.
Did the gunfitter have you shoot the gun or did he simply takes some measurements? I believe most good fitters would have you shoot both for POI and at clay targets before finializing the fit.

Tom C #51826 08/09/07 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom C
The gentleman that did the fitting suggested selling the gun and buying one that fits better. He wasn't sure he could bend the stock enough for my needed dimensions - something about the thru bolt design

If the stock can't be bent to fit you and you can't hit where you aim, then whats thare to think about, the option is clear.

Buzzbee #51827 08/09/07 12:08 PM
Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I did not shoot the try gun. He simply took some measurements. It was kind of funny because I called him about a year ago and he wanted $350 for a fit and shoot. When I called him a month ago he said it was $100 for a fit and he did not mention shooting the try gun.

I think I will try the spacers and repattern the gun. Seems I threw away the pattern targets and can't remember for sure if it shot right or left although I am pretty sure it shot right. I'm sure it shot high.

As far a bending the stock, he said he didn't know if you could bend it that far but was willing to try. That is what make me nervous. I'm going to ask Mike Orlen about this since he did the first bend to make it cast neutral. Mike has always been very good to work with and I trust his opinion.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C #51835 08/09/07 01:17 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not sure what is going on but that does not sound like a fitting that is reliable. I think Keith E. Carlson is right about what you need. By adding spacers between the pad and the butt you will move your face back and lower your eye so the gun will shoot lower. It sounds like you need cast on like a lefty to move the pattern to the left. A small amount of bending might make the gun fit well.

Try patterning at 16 yards. Mount it as if you are shooting clays. Don't mount it like you are aiming because you will either push your face down further on the stock or to the side more than if you make a fairly quick mount as if you were shooting game or clays.

Find the center of your pattern. For each inch it is off center, move the stock 1/16". So if it is 4" high move the stock comb down 4/16" (1/4"). Mike Orlen can discuss this with you to clear up any questions I am sure.

So many guns, so little time!
builder #51838 08/09/07 01:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hello Tom C. and Hello Milt, Tom C. , Call me and I will try to help you. To many words to type. I am 6 feet 2 inches tall and right handed. My length of pull from the front trigger is any where from 15 and 1/2 inches to 16 inches. I can probably save you a little time and aggravation. Jent. Jent's phone number is 703-855-1110.

Tom C Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

When I had the stock bent to neutral it brought the pattern closer to the aim point but not enough and it still shot high. As I mentioned, I think I should repattern the gun with an extension or spacers before I do anything although I am in the middle of a move so it may be a while before I can do that.

Jent - I'll give you a call this week. I always like talking about guns and shooting.

Tom C

Aldo Leopold
Tom C #51882 08/09/07 10:16 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom C
I'm hoping to obtain some good advice on whether to modify a Renato Gamba Hunter Special I picked up in January or sell it and look for something that fits me better.

After I bought this gun I realized the stock was cast on (I'm a tall, skinny, right hander - a big rooky mistake, not having purchased many used SxSs in the past). I sent the gun in to have the stock bent to cast neutral but it still shoots high and right.

At that point I decided I better have a gun fitting done rather than spending money foolishly trying to modify the gun without knowing where it actually should be. Here's what the fitting showed me. The Gamba has the following dimensions: LOP=14 7/8", Neutral cast, DAC 1 7/16", DAH 2 7/16".

Here's what I need: LOP = 15 1/8", DAC = 1 7/16", DAH = 2 5/8" DAF = @1 3/4" @ pitch or stand = 2" @ 4 degrees. 3/8" cast off.

I would obviously like to correct the point of impact as well as a cheek slap problem I have always had with all guns.

The gentleman that did the fitting suggested selling the gun and buying one that fits better. He wasn't sure he could bend the stock enough for my needed dimensions - something about the thru bolt design.

I like the gun but I'm not married to it. So my question is - should I modify it or sell it and buy something else?

P.S. If you suggest selling it I will need your input on it's value. I can't find information on the Hunter Special model. It has engraved side plates, 27 1/2" barrels, 12 gauge, monobloc, double triggers, Anson latch on forend, pistol grip, southgate ejectors and nicely figured wood.

Thanks!

Tom,

This is whacky........ the numbers don't add up.

1) You're righthanded, the gun was cast on and it shot RIGHT? If it was cast on enough to matter, it should have shot LEFT for you originally. Having it bent neutral should have made it shoot MORE RIGHT, but if it's really zero cast, it shouldn't shoot right of center.

If this gun is cast ON or NEUTRAL and shoots RIGHT for you, it's possible that the issue is not gun fit, but barrel regulation. Before patterning dynamically for fit (as Builder describes)pattern it to see if it shoots to point of aim. That is, benchrest the gun like a rifle, do whatever contortions you have to get the bead dead center between the barrels, no rib visible and touching a bullseye at 6 o'clock, just like shooting a rifle. If you can't get it to shoot dead center with that sight picture, there may be an issue with regulation that you don't want to try to overcome with stock alterations.

BTW, do both barrels shoot to the same POI?

Have you actually tried shooting some targets with it?

2) For practical purposes, there's little difference between the Gamba's dimensions (LOP=14 7/8", Neutral cast, DAC 1 7/16", DAH 2 7/16") and your ideal (LOP = 15 1/8", DAC = 1 7/16", DAH = 2 5/8",3/8" cast off).

It's unlikely that 1/4" LOP will cause a significant change in POI. With an identical DAC of 1 7/16, the 3/16" difference at heel is nearly negligible BUT is in the right direction to lower the POI. I'd bet only the 3/8" cast is significant and again, if you gained that on the Gamba, your POI should move more RIGHT, apparently not what you want.

3) As to shooting HIGH, if a gun doesn't fit, shooting high is the best way to err.....you don't have to bend it, you can sand down the comb.

In any event, I'd start with a benchrest pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tom C:
You may want to give Hugh Lomas Gunmakers a call - Hugh is located in Elkhart Lake, WI and can handle any issue a double ever had. He also does proper fittings at a reasonable price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.