Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
garywms Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How is a given shotshell's load pressure effected when it's fired though a sub-gauge insert? Also, are the different size shells effected differently when shot through different inserts? For example is pressure loss, gain or no difference the same using 12-16, 12-20, and 12-28 inserts?

Thanks

Sidelock
Sidelock

"We have commissioned independent pressure/velocity testing with Winchester AA and Remington STS ammunition in 12 to 20, 12 to 28, and 16 to 28-gauge adapters.
Pressure testing was done at the forcing cone area. Because different test guns were used, the 12g gun was measured at 3" and the 16g at 3 5/16" from the breech face. There are no industry standards for pressure at that point.
Here is a sample of the data:
16 to 28 Winchester AA -- 5900 psi and 1252 fps
16 to 28-g Remington STS -- 5100 psi and 1215 fps
Nominal velocity for both brands is 1200 fps.
SAAMI pressure standard for 16g at one inch from the breech face is 11,500 psi."
You might contact the GaugeMate folks for the other infro, and please let us know the results.
http://www.gauge-mate.com/index.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems most likely to me that the chamber pressure produced by the load would be the same as always. However, the added wall of the chamber insert would make the barrel stronger at that point, assuming there was a close fit between insert and chamber.

Last edited by Jim Legg; 08/12/07 10:32 AM.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

I use a Gage-Mate 16ga to 28 ga adapter in an old German single shot 16ga, it's very soft to shoot and I am happier using that greatly strenthens the chamber walls. I have a pair of Lil Skeeters I want to use in an old English hammer damascus SXS, but I have to turn them on a lathe to shorten/chamfer them so I can close the gun, they are a tad long. Anyone here shorten Lil Skeeters to fit a 2 1/2" 12 ga chamber?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

The conservative (most safe) assumption would be to expect that there is no loss in pressure, measured at the powder chamber in the shell, for a given shell.

However, there are several other considerations on how that pressure is affects the barrel of a gun when the shell is a smaller gauge than the barrel. First, like Jim said, the Gage-mate will contain some pressure. Even if a little loose in the chamber, it has elasticity and will stretch to come to bear against the inside of the barrel chamber, while containing at least part of the pressure. Then, the barrel takes on the pressure containment. However, since the shell is of smaller diameter, the area the peak pressure is exerted against on the outside of ... say a .410 shell, might be ...say 1.5 in/sq. over a 1 in length from breachface forward (I didn't calculate it, just swag'in for discussion purposes). Then slip the 12/410 Gage-mate over it and the area on the outside of the Gage-mate that is from the breachface to 1 inch forward, now becomes something like 2.25 sq/in or a 50% increase in area. This is the area (all just swag's, it's probably a bit more) that will bear the pressure against the chamber of the 12g barrel. Since there is a finite amount of force (combustion of the .410 shell), distributing it over a larger area will result in a lower stress, even if the Gage-mate didn't contain some pressure (which it does).

Last edited by Chuck H; 08/12/07 03:04 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck;
Your figures are very close. I took nominal dia of chamber @ 1" from breech & calculated as if a straight tube of that dia & got 1.49 In² for the .410 & 2.54 In² for the 12ga. This amounts to an increase of 70% in area.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra

I have been considering taking a pair of 12 to 20 gaugemates and turning them down to fit a 2" chambered 12 gauge. That would enable me to shoot the gun with walllyworld shells. Way cheaper than two inchers for clay targets. Any thoughts?
Nial

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nial: you're likely to have a terrible time getting the spent shells out of the tube. Even with AAs, after just a few shots, I had to use a 'puncher outer' using the standard 12 to 20g tubes.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Before I did what you are considering, I'd need to know what pressures the gun is safe to shoot, what pressures the shells you plan on shooting are, and then I'd consider making the gauge reducers from a high tensile steel. I'm not all that familiar with what the common commercial Gage-mates are made from. If from aluminum, I'd sure give some thought to make some from steel. I'd also run the numbers to understand the stress exerted on the barrels from the 20g shell without consideration to the strength of the Gage-mate. Any added strength from the Gage-mates I'd just consider as additional safety margin.

The same amount of force is going to be spread over a larger chamber wall area, therefor lower pounds per square inch. Pressure will be the same on the inside of the adaptor, but lower on the chamber wall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.