May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
10 members (Drew Hause, ClapperZapper, 4 invisible), 711 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,474
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

j0e, you've be hittin' that jug again.
Say, you didn't buy that old Purdey under it's spell did you????????

Sidelock
Sidelock

No but I've been offered double my money by more than one that saw it in person...

I let one SxS man at the club shoot it...he remarked that it shot its self.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You've been seeing double?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a bit late for the Sleeving twist in this thread.....but I always wonder how folks can REALLY tell that the balance of a Sleeved Gun is not as original,when the original bbls are long gone?
I realize that perhaps the Sleever might skimp on the bbl striking/
balance thing....but how can you know for sure?
It's a personal thing,Balance
I have a nice old 1901 WW Greener Hammer Pigeon Gun, with Jones Underlever ,sleeved & reproofed etc... with the 30" bbls a tad weight forward on this 7 3/4 LB, isn't that how it should be?
Who knows....I like her just fine.
Hope you find yer Gun for the money, mate
cheers
Franc O

Sidelock
Sidelock

The scholar who chastised me for bringing up wall thickness gauges as a trump for eighty year old proof marks also made a comment about "Very seldom is striking the cause of bad wall thickness. Drilling 'em out from the inside is usually the reason." (I just assumed it was the same guy, I didn't check) That is so much BS. I can measure and examine the inside to determine what has been done in there. The hidden cause of bad wall thickness is eighty years of incompetent UK striking. Bad behavior in the bore can be detected with a ninety dollar bore micrometer. I will stick to my opinion that proof marks are worth nothing if you don't measure. "Sleeved" not marked on a water table does not take the place of close examination of the barrels with a high powered glass. Sure, it's nice if the mark is there, but if it isn't there, you had better get out your glass before you get out your checkbook.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore, yes and no. I do not think that I have EVER seen an English gun that has had externally restruck barrels. However, I've seen a boatload of them with proofmarks of 12 or 12/1 with .740" and larger inside diameter barrels.

Your point about proof marks meaning little (except as a guide) and measuring for yourself are spot on, but I disagree about the bad wall thicknesses being due to bad striking.

I can only say about the balance thing: If you have handled a lot of British guns, you don't need to see the join on the barrels to know whether it's been sleeved if it was sleeved badly. That said, I have handled sleeved guns that handled like originals, where someone paid attention to balance and dynamics.

It's much like what you feel when you handle a Best gun with 26" barrels. With your eyes closed, I DARE you to tell that the gun has "short" barrels, because the dynamics are as if they had 30" barrels.

Last edited by Erik330; 09/10/07 04:33 PM.
SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Of course you havent seen many guns with restruck barrels, thats lots of hard work, and my point exactly. Except in the world of Bill. See Bill has no experience actually working on guns. I'll bet he has never restruck a set of barrels and measured them along the way. If he had, he might know the difficulty in doing so. I've done and I know. Its much easier to hone from the inside and that is also the location of most barrel problems, hence thats where the metal is usually removed from. You dont even need to polish barrels to reblack them, thats why you see pitting under many reblack jobs. As to the marking of sleeved guns, I've stated my opinion. Sleeving a gun like that without marking it so is done for one purpose and one only, to find a sucker and rid him of his hard earned money.
Steve

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: SKB
Of course you havent seen many guns with restruck barrels, thats lots of hard work, and my point exactly.
Right. I've never struck a barrel, but I know a bit about machining, and no one in his right mind would restrike the outside of barrels unless it was ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What you are saying is that all of those guns in the British auctions that carry warnings of "wall thickness below recommended minumums" had badly pitted bores that needed to be drilled out but the outside surface of those barrels was so pristine that they didn't need restriking? Yup,OK. The auction house warning about bores drilled bigger than proof is "Gun is out of proof."

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eightbore, I think you might be a bit confused. Do you know what striking is? It's FILING, by hand. Can you imagine the amount of material that has to be removed by filing the entire length of the barrels around their diameter, vs. simple boring or honing of the I.D.? You can polish external pits relatively simply, but a gun that has major pits inside the bores from lack of proper cleaning/lead fouling, primer or powdwer corrosion is far more common and requires a lot more material removal, generally.

And not "drilled" but bored or honed.

Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.